Investing

Amazon (AMZN)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 20th, 2024 11:54 pm
Dec 7, 2008
302 posts
481 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Yes - down 7/8%. But just back to where it was like mid June.
Deal Guru
Aug 17, 2008
10990 posts
13539 upvotes
Q4'21 and FYE'21 ER amc tonight.

Whisper # is +$4.40 EPS, consensus is lower at $3.74 to 3.88 EPS, depending on your source. Rev consensus is ~$137.7B

Update

Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him = Never argue with an idiot, they'll only bring you down to their level & beat you with experience
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29536 posts
20456 upvotes
Google declared the stock split first.
Public Mobile customer, $34/50GB CAN-US, $29/30GB, $24/4GB
Tangerine, EQ, Simplii, HSBC customer
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2017
2902 posts
4581 upvotes
I'm not much help as I have no idea of how something gets included in the Dow Jones and don't really care about that index either :). It seems pretty arbirary with weight being on share price and I follow the S&P 500 for the US market.

Great to hear Amzn is splitting though and the stock is up 7% after hours @Blubbs! If anything everything actually seems to be going a bit too positively right now.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 9, 2013
5880 posts
7458 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Chance7652 wrote: If anything everything actually seems to be going a bit too positively right now.
Buy quality. Keep calm and go long (and note to self STOP SELLING).
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2013
6152 posts
10804 upvotes
Canada
Chance7652 wrote: I'm not much help as I have no idea of how something gets included in the Dow Jones and don't really care about that index either :). It seems pretty arbirary with weight being on share price and I follow the S&P 500 for the US market.

Great to hear Amzn is splitting though and the stock is up 7% after hours @Blubbs! If anything everything actually seems to be going a bit too positively right now.
Agreed that’s awesome. Just wish I bought more, I only didn’t because of lack of USD and being too cheap to pay 1.5% from Questrade to do it quickly. Lol. Amazon is taking over the world eventually.
Banned
May 22, 2019
1469 posts
2121 upvotes
Chance7652 wrote: I'm not much help as I have no idea of how something gets included in the Dow Jones and don't really care about that index either :). It seems pretty arbirary with weight being on share price and I follow the S&P 500 for the US market.

If a stock is included in Dow 30, there will be a lot of upside for it. Once a stock is kicked out of Dow 30, the stock price will experience free fall, just read the sad story of AT&T, GE, PFE who were being kicked out in the recent years.
World cup is coming
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2017
2902 posts
4581 upvotes
asianstutter wrote: Can you explain what this means exactly? I have 8 shares with amazon. so the 20:1 split meaning 20 shares for every share i own? so i'll end up with 160 shares?
Yep
Deal Guru
Aug 17, 2008
10990 posts
13539 upvotes
asianstutter wrote: Can you explain what this means exactly? I have 8 shares with amazon. so the 20:1 split meaning 20 shares for every share i own? so i'll end up with 160 shares?
I could give you the answer, but if you read the very brief SEC document (the url), you will be doing yourself a long term favour by learning something new.
Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him = Never argue with an idiot, they'll only bring you down to their level & beat you with experience
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2010
2047 posts
1661 upvotes
I don’t understand the hoopla around this split announcement. I mean , it doesn’t really make any sense when you can just go and buy a fractional shares of these companies. Potatoe potaato.
“There are the people who don’t know, and the people who don’t know that they don’t know”- Treva84
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2007
13044 posts
11386 upvotes
nousername wrote: I don’t understand the hoopla around this split announcement. I mean , it doesn’t really make any sense when you can just go and buy a fractional shares of these companies. Potatoe potaato.
the buyback was way more impressive to me than the splits. to me.. any splits at that level just encourages more retail investors. Sure you can always buy a fraction but it's all mentality and it "feels" better to have a whole share than .5 of one.
"An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail." -- Edward Land
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29536 posts
20456 upvotes
faken wrote: the buyback was way more impressive to me than the splits. to me.. any splits at that level just encourages more retail investors. Sure you can always buy a fraction but it's all mentality and it "feels" better to have a whole share than .5 of one.
The big deal with lower share price is to facilitate options trading. In options, there are no fractional shares.
Public Mobile customer, $34/50GB CAN-US, $29/30GB, $24/4GB
Tangerine, EQ, Simplii, HSBC customer
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2007
13044 posts
11386 upvotes
will888 wrote: The big deal with lower share price is to facilitate options trading. In options, there are no fractional shares.
aware of that as well. I stopped trading that awhile ago. There's so much manipulation it's wild..
"An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail." -- Edward Land
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2012
2005 posts
696 upvotes
Montreal
faken wrote: the buyback was way more impressive to me than the splits. to me.. any splits at that level just encourages more retail investors. Sure you can always buy a fraction but it's all mentality and it "feels" better to have a whole share than .5 of one.
Agreed… A lot of buyers purchase on sticker price not value
big banks don’t have fractions yet correct?
So this is a way for the big companies to make themselves look appealing to buyers without them having to change stockbrokers to access fraction buying

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)