Shopping Discussion

(Amazon & BestBuy) Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB M.2 NVMe Internal Solid State Drive $259.99

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 4th, 2019 4:16 pm
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2015
8048 posts
8623 upvotes
Downtown Canada

(Amazon & BestBuy) Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB M.2 NVMe Internal Solid State Drive $259.99

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB M.2 NVMe Internal Solid State Drive (MZ-V7S1T0B/AM) $259.99
For those who missed the Walmart price mistake earlier this year and if you missed the Western Digital pricing posted few days back.
Best Buy
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/sa ... m/13815644

Amazon
https://www.amazon.ca/Samsung-970-EVO-P ... B07MFZY2F2
Telus $30/75GB USA/CAN + $0 VVM (USA roaming + USA calling included) X 5 lines

Seeing ads while surfing the web? Get Ad Guard ad blocker.
31 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27157 posts
37132 upvotes
For a Samsung EVO Plus, it's technically a deal, but you and I both locked in these puppies at $208 CAD through Walmart.ca (price error).

Samsung needs a lesson in humility.

Real talk though, I would probably buy this if I wanted a 'no-exceptions' fast NVMe boot drive for my main computer. My 3800X boot SSD is this very drive, and short of a price error (lucky me), I was going to get it one way or another.

For those of you out there like me, this is decent pricing for a top-tier Samsung stick for your main rig.

For everyone else, the ADATA XPG NVMe 1TB sister sticks are plenty fast and plenty good.
I aim to be inclusive and considerate of others in my posts. If I fall short of that mark, feel free to let me know in good faith, and where appropriate, I'll edit my posts. Thank you.
Jun 19, 2017
50 posts
29 upvotes
Not really a deal though, just an ok price (going on since at least friday and nowhere sold out). I missed the other deals and need a boot drive, I'm struggling between the evo plus 500gb and intel 1tb 660p both @ 130, I don't think I can justify paying twice the price for the evo even for a boot drive.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2006
1499 posts
2391 upvotes
Hammonds
I'll buy cheap and wait for Samsung to go PCIe gen4. Seems silly buying a 3500mb stick at this price when 5000mb should be right around the corner with similar cost
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2012
3282 posts
1046 upvotes
Toronto
Can someone enlighten me how these expensive SSDs better than those that cost half as much or less?
¯\_(・_・)_/¯
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5761 posts
3916 upvotes
Toronto
osuman wrote: Can someone enlighten me how these expensive SSDs better than those that cost half as much or less?
It is technically the fastest consumer grade NVMe on the market. Not that it is worth the price premium for most users but Samsung is also a big name and some don't mind paying the Samsung tax on these.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27157 posts
37132 upvotes
Samsung 1TB, 2TB, and 4TB Gen 4 are rumored. My guess is Q1.

My guess is that Gen 4 1TB will be between $300 and $500 CAD, probably closer to the latter. I'm guessing read/writes in the 5GB to 6GB/s territory.

Many guesses.
I aim to be inclusive and considerate of others in my posts. If I fall short of that mark, feel free to let me know in good faith, and where appropriate, I'll edit my posts. Thank you.
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2009
2319 posts
1192 upvotes
BC
Not a good price as I've been watching for a while.
Nov 7, 2007
869 posts
592 upvotes
For those needing 512GB Staples has the Samsung MZ-V7S500B/AM 970 EVO Plus for $129.99. Apply the coupon code 71103 for $25 bringing it to $104.99.
Dec 3, 2019
34 posts
30 upvotes
The Samsung 970 Evo is $199 at Amazon Canada. So if you're looking for fast nvme SSD that will be a good choice compare to the Evo pluse
Jun 30, 2019
75 posts
78 upvotes
Definitely not a top tier (top tier is a Pro model), but strong middle tier for sure.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 26, 2008
7360 posts
5511 upvotes
VeryTrueColors wrote: Definitely not a top tier (top tier is a Pro model), but strong middle tier for sure.
Definitely not middle tier.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27157 posts
37132 upvotes
VeryTrueColors wrote: Definitely not a top tier (top tier is a Pro model), but strong middle tier for sure.
There's controversy on that point.

Fewer folks are buying the Pro anymore. Folks are buying the EVO Plus or the Intel Optane on the high-end.

Also, middle tier? Pass me the spliff.
Jun 30, 2019
75 posts
78 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: There's controversy on that point.

Fewer folks are buying the Pro anymore. Folks are buying the EVO Plus or the Intel Optane on the high-end.

Also, middle tier? Pass me the spliff.
After PCIE 4.0 NVME drives were introduced to the market, most of the Samsung NVME drives become a middle tier... Now it is up to Samsung to catch up to the other drive producers. It is just my opinion, and I do not mean to insult in any way fans of Samsung drives. But reality is none of the Samsung drives can reach now 5GB/s... Pro is still strong contender, but it is limited by PCIE 3.0...
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27157 posts
37132 upvotes
VeryTrueColors wrote: After PCIE 4.0 NVME drives were introduced to the market, most of the Samsung NVME drives become a middle tier...

Are we playing goal post shuffle board? We're talking about Gen 3.
Now it is up to Samsung to catch up to the other drive producers. It is just my opinion, and I do not mean to insult in any way fans of Samsung drives. But reality is none of the Samsung drives can reach now 5GB/s... Pro is still strong contender, but it is limited by PCIE 3.0...
My dude. I agree they're taking their time, and we may be waiting through Q1 for Gen 4 Samsungs, but that seems tangential to this conversation.

The EVO Plus and Optanes are the Kings of the Gen 3 among consumers, and Optane is arguably not a consumer solution... prosumer perhaps.

I think we largely agree, and it's now a semantic debate.
Jun 30, 2019
75 posts
78 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: Are we playing goal post shuffle board? We're talking about Gen 3.

My dude. I agree they're taking their time, and we may be waiting through Q1 for Gen 4 Samsungs, but that seems tangential to this conversation.

The EVO Plus and Optanes are the Kings of the Gen 3 among consumers, and Optane is arguably not a consumer solution... prosumer perhaps.

I think we largely agree, and it's now a semantic debate.
This forum is about deals and my point is - it is hard to understand how this is a deal at $259, while much faster drive (x1.5 faster to be exact) Sabrent 1tb Rocket PCIE 4.0 costs on Amazon $231...
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27157 posts
37132 upvotes
VeryTrueColors wrote: This forum is about deals and my point is - it is hard to understand how this is a deal at $259, while much faster drive (x1.5 faster to be exact) Sabrent 1tb Rocket PCIE 4.0 costs on Amazon $231...
Very simple. Not everyone has PCIe 4.0 and Samsung uses high grade quality components. Not every 4.0 drive is driven by quality components and consistent performance.

Again, this is changing the goal post.

I feel like we've made our points so I'll let this rest.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 1, 2009
6219 posts
15392 upvotes
ABB Midnight Rider
VeryTrueColors wrote: This forum is about deals and my point is - it is hard to understand how this is a deal at $259, while much faster drive (x1.5 faster to be exact) Sabrent 1tb Rocket PCIE 4.0 costs on Amazon $231...
I agree this isn't really a good deal, but to call the 970 Evo Plus a strong mid-tier is just silly. It is, without a doubt, top of the line outside of prosumer and enterprise (where PCIe 4.0 drives still exist). The PCIe 4.0 drives aren't much faster in most home use cases, and in some important areas, slower than the 970 EVO Pro:
https://www.techspot.com/review/1893-pc ... cie-3-ssd/
The three PCIe 4.0 drives were close in most tests with the Sabrent Rocket 4 winning by a slim margin. The Samsung 970 Pro still performs very well and even won in our game launch tests. This makes it clear that there isn't much of an advantage to getting a Gen 4 SSD if you already have a fast Gen 3 SSD. Compared to more of the mainstream, commodity Gen 3 drives, the Gen 4 drives will give you a performance boost in very select workloads.
Jun 30, 2019
75 posts
78 upvotes
Elrondolio wrote: I agree this isn't really a good deal, but to call the 970 Evo Plus a strong mid-tier is just silly. It is, without a doubt, top of the line outside of prosumer and enterprise (where PCIe 4.0 drives still exist). The PCIe 4.0 drives aren't much faster in most home use cases, and in some important areas, slower than the 970 EVO Pro:
https://www.techspot.com/review/1893-pc ... cie-3-ssd/
The article you mentioned compares 970 EVO Pro not 970 EVO Plus which is slower. As I mentioned in previous posts, I agree that 970 EVO Pro is definitely a quality product, while performance of the 970 EVO Plus is well below Pro version and of course well below PCIE 4.0 drives. So why buy something outdated rather than future proof hardware, especially when it costs less (unless you are ready to pay just for the brand, ignoring the fact that it is product from yesterday). And even if you do not have PCIE 4, Sabrent and other PCIE 4.0 drives are backward compatible, so whenever you upgrade to up-to-date hardware, you are going to enjoy full potential.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2010
1353 posts
1220 upvotes
The Great North
rgilld wrote: For those needing 512GB Staples has the Samsung MZ-V7S500B/AM 970 EVO Plus for $129.99. Apply the coupon code 71103 for $25 bringing it to $104.99.
500gb is more than enough for a boot drive. No need to waste money on a bigger drive for the average consumer. Just pair it with a 2TB+ mechanical drive.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)