Shopping Discussion

(Amazon & BestBuy) Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB M.2 NVMe Internal Solid State Drive $259.99

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 4th, 2019 4:16 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
1927 posts
3471 upvotes
VeryTrueColors wrote: The article you mentioned compares 970 EVO Pro not 970 EVO Plus which is slower. As I mentioned in previous posts, I agree that 970 EVO Pro is definitely a quality product, while performance of the 970 EVO Plus is well below Pro version and of course well below PCIE 4.0 drives. So why buy something outdated rather than future proof hardware, especially when it costs less (unless you are ready to pay just for the brand, ignoring the fact that it is product from yesterday). And even if you do not have PCIE 4, Sabrent and other PCIE 4.0 drives are backward compatible, so whenever you upgrade to up-to-date hardware, you are going to enjoy full potential.
As I stated in my post (and is, by far, the consensus of near all tech sites, reviewers and most users):
"This makes it clear that there isn't much of an advantage to getting a Gen 4 SSD if you already have a fast Gen 3 SSD."

It's time will come... that is not now, for a variety of good reasons. Which all deflect from the point you made and I'm addressing: you called the 970 Evo Plus mid-tier. Which is silly.
Jun 30, 2019
75 posts
78 upvotes
nivek_k2020 wrote: 500gb is more than enough for a boot drive. No need to waste money on a bigger drive for the average consumer. Just pair it with a 2TB+ mechanical drive.
It depends what you use it for. Mind you 500gb versions are usually slower than 1tb, however if you just use it as a boot drive, you won't feel much difference.
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
1927 posts
3471 upvotes
nivek_k2020 wrote: 500gb is more than enough for a boot drive. No need to waste money on a bigger drive for the average consumer. Just pair it with a 2TB+ mechanical drive.
Respectfully: yeah, no. A boot drive is all that needs an SSD? Hardly.

I've loaded Ark Survival Evolved (364 GB for that one game with mods) off a mechanical drive... never again. About 30 minutes if I remember correctly. As for the other 10 or so games I keep active on a rotating basis? 1.87 GB. And thats just games.

Moral of the story is: get as much SSD storage as you can possibly afford. THEN get a storage drive for videos, etc.
Jun 30, 2019
75 posts
78 upvotes
Elrondolio wrote: As I stated in my post (and is, by far, the consensus of near all tech sites, reviewers and most users):
"This makes it clear that there isn't much of an advantage to getting a Gen 4 SSD if you already have a fast Gen 3 SSD."

It's time will come... that is not now, for a variety of good reasons. Which all deflect from the point you made and I'm addressing: you called the 970 Evo Plus mid-tier. Which is silly.
If drive (970 EVO Plus) is x1.5 slower than other consumer drives (Sabrent Rocket 4.0, etc.), it is clearly not a top tier. It is definitely not a low tier drive either , so this puts it in mid-tier. When Samsung releases something faster than other drives, I will be the first to admit that it is top tier high end, but now it is behind. So if someone is looking for top performance, it is not Samsung at this point of time. It is impossible to discuss something with fan boys. :(
Last edited by VeryTrueColors on Dec 4th, 2019 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 12, 2013
570 posts
476 upvotes
BC
I ran out of storage on my SSD a few weeks ago: moved games to hard drive and it's painful!!! Definitely worth paying for a bigger SSD (but not this much....)
Nov 7, 2007
737 posts
469 upvotes
The 970 EVO Plus is actually faster than the 970 EVO Pro.

https://www.pcgamer.com/samsungs-new-97 ... n-970-pro/
VeryTrueColors wrote: The article you mentioned compares 970 EVO Pro not 970 EVO Plus which is slower. As I mentioned in previous posts, I agree that 970 EVO Pro is definitely a quality product, while performance of the 970 EVO Plus is well below Pro version and of course well below PCIE 4.0 drives. So why buy something outdated rather than future proof hardware, especially when it costs less (unless you are ready to pay just for the brand, ignoring the fact that it is product from yesterday). And even if you do not have PCIE 4, Sabrent and other PCIE 4.0 drives are backward compatible, so whenever you upgrade to up-to-date hardware, you are going to enjoy full potential.
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
1927 posts
3471 upvotes
VeryTrueColors wrote: If drive (970 EVO Plus) is x1.5 slower than other consumer drives (Sabrent Rocket 4.0, etc.), it is clearly not a top tier. It is definitely not a low tier drive either , so this puts it in mid-tier. When Samsung releases something faster than other drives, I will be the first to admit that it is top tier high end, but now it is behind. So if someone is looking for top performance, it is not Samsung at this point of time. It is impossible to discuss something with fan boys. :(
Ok, the SpaceX Falcon Heavy is top-tier as it goes 7 miles per second. My Tesla Model 3 is mid-tier as it only hits 261 KM/h.

But they don't live in the same market (yet... can't wait for the Model 6) so... moot? Listen, I hear what you're saying. It doesn't make much sense (yet) but maybe you're from the near future and we just don't understand yet. If so, I hope the PCIe 4.0 Samsung drive is great, and cheap, all at the same time from your vantage point. Otherwise I guess I (and just about everyone I know) will just have to disagree with you calling the 970 EVO Plus mid-tier.
Jun 30, 2019
75 posts
78 upvotes
Elrondolio wrote: Ok, the SpaceX Falcon Heavy is top-tier as it goes 7 miles per second. My Tesla Model 3 is mid-tier as it only hits 261 KM/h.

But they don't live in the same market (yet... can't wait for the Model 6) so... moot? Listen, I hear what you're saying. It doesn't make much sense (yet) but maybe you're from the near future and we just don't understand yet. If so, I hope the PCIe 4.0 Samsung drive is great, and cheap, all at the same time from your vantage point. Otherwise I guess I (and just about everyone I know) will just have to disagree with you calling the 970 EVO Plus mid-tier.
I only compared apples to apples - consumer drives from the same price range. So your comparison of bug-ridden unfortunate creations of Elon Musk is kind of moot.
970 EVO Plus was top tier drive until this summer. Similarly Sabrent and other PCIE 4.0 drives are going to become mid tier when we get PCIE 5.0 drives... Not sure why you can't admit that this EVO 970 Plus is outdated mid tier drive. In the world of NVME drives things are changing really fast, what was top tier at the beginning of the year becomes mid tier by the end of the same year.
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
1927 posts
3471 upvotes
VeryTrueColors wrote: Not sure why you can't admit that this EVO 970 Plus is outdated mid tier drive.
Because they're not yet. Simple. 6 months from now when 4.0 is mainstream? Yeah, sure, maybe (outdated? lol). It is what it is. Go ahead, enjoy your view.
Apr 27, 2017
105 posts
112 upvotes
edit: Seems I have a selective reading problem when it came to mentions of Sabrent drives and then posts about pro vs evo plus, my bad. People still need to chill with heated analogies. Changed words to reference gen3 to prevent confusion with the good points @VeryTrueColors made regarding the new NVMe4 drives, if it applies to you. But I still stand firm that gen3 or gen4 regardless; for someone who only uses their pc up to high end gaming, still it's a shit deal.

• Large sequential writes (one big file) are where these samsung and intel optane drives really shine.
  • budget gen3 NVMe, when compared to the evo plus, like Silicon Power P34A80's, sabrent rocket mydigitalSSD BPX sticks, etc, all use Phison e12 controllers, based on toshiba TLC NAND. As soon as you saturate the SLC write cache they tank in speeds. Which one beats which comes down to software, power consumption, and end user support.
  • With cache in mind, the Pro doesn't get the boost from SLC cache writing (because there is no SLC cache) vs the Evo Plus is where I people might mistake which one is faster. Which isn't fair because its two very different reasons for wanting each stick.

But The reason most won't consider this a deal is that realistically when comparing something like a gen3 e12 drive to an Evo Plus for a non commercial/enthusiast (settle down PC master race, I mean like raw video editing, not RDR2 at 4K), realistically looking at $100 +/- $20 price difference for 25% performance boost, probably doesn't make a ton of sense to a cost savings crowd when you factor start up times and video game loading improvements will be measured in a matter of low single seconds (edit: VS SSD performance).
Last edited by JurassicFlop on Dec 4th, 2019 5:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Jun 30, 2019
75 posts
78 upvotes
JurassicFlop wrote: RDFLadies... RFDGentlemen... let's chill for a second with these heated analogies... there is a lot of right information being posted. So its probably best to summarize since I think everyone has good points.

I will also link this toms hardware review as I read it before buying my Silicon power 34A80 stick and graphs are pretty.
  • Large sequential writes (one big file) are where these samsung and intel optane drives really shine over Sabrent Rocket and other e12 controller NVMes which is why most will associate it with more high end consumer use.
  • Sabrent Rocket NVMe are just like Silicon Power P34A80's, like mydigitalSSD BPX sticks, etc, because they all use Phison e12 controllers, based on toshiba TLC NAND. As soon as you saturate the SLC write cache they tank in speeds. Which one beats which comes down to software, power consumption, and end user support.
  • Lack of SLC cache writing (because there is no SLC cache) is where I see people getting hung up on Pro vs Evo Plus. Which isn't fair because its two very different reasons for wanting each stick.
The reason most won't consider this a deal is that realistically when comparing something like Sabrent Rockets to an Evo Plus for a non commercial/enthusiast (settle down PC master race, I mean like raw video editing, not RDR2 at 4K), realistically looking at $100 +/- $20 price difference for 25% performance boost, probably doesn't make a ton of sense to a cost savings crowd when you factor start up times and video game loading improvements will be measured in a matter of low single seconds (edit: VS SSD performance).
If you decide to summarize, please do some more research - we were talking about Sabrent Rocket PCIE 4.0. All info you provide is incorrect starting from the controller - its is not e12, it is e16... and so on...
Please read: https://www.techspot.com/review/1893-pc ... cie-3-ssd/