• Last Updated:
  • Jan 18th, 2019 1:46 pm
[OP]
Jul 30, 2011
332 posts
217 upvotes
Durham region

[Amazon Canada] $1.2 per lb - CAP Barbell Standard Free Weight Plate

If you are looking for some additional smaller weight plates to attach to a Dumbell or Barbell (1" diameter hole), this is a pretty good deal at $1.2/lb delivered to your door.
5lb = $6
7.5lb = $9
10lb = $12 (Prime member only)

The other weight amounts are not discounted for some reason. Ebates gives 8% cash back right now.

Sorry about this couriers / mail people!
Last edited by incongruent on Jan 11th, 2019 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
27 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 30, 2006
14158 posts
3205 upvotes
incongruent wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 3:04 pm
by comparison, you can goto treadmill factory and get for cheaper but you must pick up in store... maybe this deal isn't so great after all.

https://www.treadmillfactory.ca/strengt ... eel-plates
Treadmill Factory 10lbs 1" Standard Steel Plate - $9.90
Except they have 4 locations in the GTA and 1 in Calgary.
TripleQ wrote:I read Click magazine for the articles!
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2003
4479 posts
2702 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
Fitness depot has cheaper prices on plates as well. Unless you need delivery, I'd avoid this deal.

edit: https://www.fitnessdepot.ca/H11OTO10276 ... pos45.html

Olympic 45lb plate for $36.00

edit 2: standard plates: https://www.fitnessdepot.ca/H11OTO10276 ... ml?cat=294

10lb plate is $7.90. Best deal seems to be Fitness Depot.
Last edited by Melkor on Jan 11th, 2019 3:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jul 11, 2007
427 posts
84 upvotes
GTA
incongruent wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 2:52 pm
Sorry about this couriers / mail people!
this is enough for an upvote!
Mar 6, 2015
274 posts
769 upvotes
New Brunswick
It's January. The secondary market should get absolutely flooded with excercise equipment in the next month or two.

The nice thing about used weight plates is that there is absolutely no difference from new other than maybe some scuffs and they can be had at a fraction of the cost (plus you save the tax).
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2008
1188 posts
628 upvotes
Melkor wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 3:12 pm
Fitness depot has cheaper prices on plates as well. Unless you need delivery, I'd avoid this deal.

edit: https://www.fitnessdepot.ca/H11OTO10276 ... pos45.html

Olympic 45lb plate for $36.00

edit 2: standard plates: https://www.fitnessdepot.ca/H11OTO10276 ... ml?cat=294

10lb plate is $7.90. Best deal seems to be Fitness Depot.
Just FYI I see the 10lbs plate to be $12.00.
[OP]
Jul 30, 2011
332 posts
217 upvotes
Durham region
sports1 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 3:29 pm
Just FYI I see the 10lbs plate to be $12.00.

I called them and they said $0.79/lb for those 10lb plates. guess i'm doing the old amazon order cancel.
Jul 5, 2018
222 posts
817 upvotes
This deal is so-so. Some stores do $1 a lb. But I was feeling cheap... To save money I decided to buy bags of rice and attach them to my barbell. They were heavy and the bags were often strong enough to handle the weight shifting. I wanted to show off my cheap home gym to my meat head friends and invited them. They came over. I prepared the bar with 8 bags of rice and the bar (445 lb). I performed it easily. They then started berating me for being weak and not doing a full rep since the bags were so big.

They then started demanding I do it on my table. So the range of motion would be larger. I stood on one side while everyone else stood on the other holding it as a counter balanceI tried with 6 bags and it seemed fine. I asked for two more and Tony jumped up on the table and loaded two more. The table began to wobble slightly as I did the rep. But I had faith in this table.. It was solid. I got it at a garage sale and the prior owner told me it was solid woodnwnd tree's are hardy so it would be able to handle whatever I threw at it. I shouted two more!! Tony jumped up again and loaded two more bags. The bar was fully loaded that we couldn't even clip it. The table wobble quite a bit as tony was standing beside me and I panicked a bit and my balance was lost slightly as one bag fell from the bar. At this point I couldn't control the weight change from the bar and handle the wobble. I fell forward as did the bar. Tony tried to grab me and he fell forward as well. This shifted the weight heavily and the table flipped forward towards me.

The two meat heads acting as a counter balance at the other end of the table were flung forward like a torpedo. I saw the barbell hit the ground with one bag of rice still attached. The table began still moving towards me and Tony who were now on the ground. Me and Tony rolled out of the way. One of the two who were seated at the other end smashed into my TV. The other flew through my window I screamed in agony at this horrific sight. I saw the table about to hit the barbell which was set up like a lever on the rice bag. The barbell took the brunt of the force and flew upwards towards my apartments roof. The part flying upwards became embedded into the roof of my apartment. I ran to the window to see what happened to the person who flew from my window. He was in pain but OK. He landed on a Toyota Cresta which was destroyed. A middle aged Japanese man berated him for destroying his car shortly after.

Thankfully no one was seriously injured. I learned my lesson to find new friends and also use only standard weights.
Dec 2, 2009
715 posts
243 upvotes
Markham
BTW at Fitness Depot, you can often get custom package prices if you talk to the owner and can also do cash "tax included" deals Smiling Face With Sunglasses. PM
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
3091 posts
899 upvotes
bunmin wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 3:24 pm
It's January. The secondary market should get absolutely flooded with excercise equipment in the next month or two.

The nice thing about used weight plates is that there is absolutely no difference from new other than maybe some scuffs and they can be had at a fraction of the cost (plus you save the tax).
I was trying to do the same a few years ago - i.e. scour kijiji.
Seems like most people realize the going rate is ~$1 per pound
Even on the used market, it doesn't really seem to veer too far off that rate

So I ended up going to fitness depot and just getting brand new.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2003
4479 posts
2702 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
SomeOtherDude wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 3:56 pm
I was trying to do the same a few years ago - i.e. scour kijiji.
Seems like most people realize the going rate is ~$1 per pound
Even on the used market, it doesn't really seem to veer too far off that rate

So I ended up going to fitness depot and just getting brand new.
Agreed. It's often cheaper at Fitness Depot (unless you score an amazing deal) to buy plates.