Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] 100% Claimed - ---LABISTS Raspberry Pi 4 Starter Kit 4GB **Deal of the Day**

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 17th, 2020 11:54 pm
[OP]
Nov 23, 2007
28 posts
3 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] 100% Claimed - ---LABISTS Raspberry Pi 4 Starter Kit 4GB **Deal of the Day**

LABISTS Raspberry Pi 4 Starter Kit - Deal of the day

NO TAX - Free Shipping with Amazon Prime

114.74 no tax
Images
  • PI 4.jpg
Last edited by mike12z on Mar 17th, 2020 4:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
10 replies
Nov 6, 2018
132 posts
308 upvotes
I got this last time, great kit but the fan is obnoxiously loud. You'll want to invest another couple of dollars on a better fan
Disclaimer: I am not an official spokesperson for Costco, just someone who loves it
Dec 1, 2018
131 posts
152 upvotes
It goes for the same price every now and then. I got 2 different sets, one of them has a loud fan, I disconnected it. Another set had a more quiet fan, I am still using it.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2481 posts
623 upvotes
Ottawa
CostcoIsBestco wrote: I got this last time, great kit but the fan is obnoxiously loud. You'll want to invest another couple of dollars on a better fan
correct, fan is VERY loud. Also, first case I received with the bundle caused the board to restart, probably something wrong with the geometry of it or something. Replacement one (same case) worked fine.
IT Services provider in Ottawa area.
[OP]
Nov 23, 2007
28 posts
3 upvotes
CostcoIsBestco wrote: I got this last time, great kit but the fan is obnoxiously loud. You'll want to invest another couple of dollars on a better fan
Had a look on Amazon, so many to choose from. Any suggestions on a quite fan to upgrade to and still fit in the Labists case?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
5524 posts
2081 upvotes
Canuckland
Dead deal and not that good of a deal, the buyapi deal was still better
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
9378 posts
2010 upvotes
Winnipeg
Its never recommended but..
trying running fan off the 3.3v if its a 5v fan. that will quiet it down. most would recommend a diode tho to drop the voltage to be safer vs right off the 3.3v pin. But that choice is yours. Just something you could google to learn more about so your advised of potential problems to your rpi. I use the flirc case myself.

Or consider seeing/inquiring if its already a 3.3/5v fan that was included.
Apr 29, 2018
605 posts
346 upvotes
lead wrote: Its never recommended but..
trying running fan off the 3.3v if its a 5v fan. that will quiet it down. most would recommend a diode tho to drop the voltage to be safer vs right off the 3.3v pin. But that choice is yours. Just something you could google to learn more about so your advised of potential problems to your rpi. I use the flirc case myself.

Or consider seeing/inquiring if its already a 3.3/5v fan that was included.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. It is just a simple DC motor and can work at varying voltages. Going above the rated voltage (5V in this case) however may cause the fan to burn out, due to the heat, melting the insulation of the winding inside and causing a short.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
9378 posts
2010 upvotes
Winnipeg
kramer1 wrote: There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. It is just a simple DC motor and can work at varying voltages. Going above the rated voltage (5V in this case) however may cause the fan to burn out, due to the heat, melting the insulation of the winding inside and causing a short.
actually drawing too much power tends to cause the same burn out but in other places. For example the same logic behind using too little amps vs too much amps. Too little amps when the device requires more over works the power supply = burn up and smoke.

the 2 common concerns were for this scenario were. that the rotating voltage would back feed unrated voltage to the pin at shutdown but thats not a concern on brushless. 2) drawing 5v on a 3.3v line may overheat the pin at bootup where the fan is "still" and peak voltage is drawn to start spinning.
Apr 29, 2018
605 posts
346 upvotes
lead wrote: actually drawing too much power tends to cause the same burn out but in other places. For example the same logic behind using too little amps vs too much amps. Too little amps when the device requires more over works the power supply = burn up and smoke.

the 2 common concerns were for this scenario were. that the rotating voltage would back feed unrated voltage to the pin at shutdown but thats not a concern on brushless. 2) drawing 5v on a 3.3v line may overheat the pin at bootup where the fan is "still" and peak voltage is drawn to start spinning.
I have been doing this for over 20 years now. You talk from theory, I from experience. Even 12v fans can be run on 5v or even lower

PS: Peak draw on a fan, is not going to be at startup.