• Last Updated:
  • Oct 8th, 2019 2:30 pm
[OP]
Banned
Jul 19, 2018
181 posts
77 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] 1080p Mini Dashcam

Price comes down to $26.99 after you apply the code BFCRBB2H at checkout and attach the additional $3 coupon.

Dashcam records at 1080p, comes with a sensor to start recording following a collision and has a 120 degrees angle. Microsd card support is up to 32gb.
17 replies
Feb 6, 2013
941 posts
1172 upvotes
Ontario
OPMonkey, please put the price in the title and indicate that it's a 3rd party (Amazon Marketplace) seller.

Secondly, is the seller reputable?
Where did you find this deal?

Amazon Marketplace seller name: lemon-ca
There's a lot of Engrish in the description as well...
I guess that's to be expected of a seller that clearly doesn't know the second meaning of "lemon"...

lem·​on | \ ˈle-mən \
noun
  1. an acid fruit that is botanically a many-seeded pale yellow oblong berry produced by a small thorny citrus tree (Citrus limon) and that has a rind from which an aromatic oil is extracted
  2. something (such as an automobile or device) that is unsatisfactory or defective
Nov 23, 2004
811 posts
1421 upvotes
Ontario
All the reviews are fake and bought by the manufacturer, the patterns and trends are obvious. Wouldn't trust a thing I read on there about this cam - there's far more reputable ones to get in a similar low cost price range with proven performance and legitimate reviews.
Aug 24, 2019
167 posts
147 upvotes
mindabsence wrote: All the reviews are fake and bought by the manufacturer, the patterns and trends are obvious. Wouldn't trust a thing I read on there about this cam - there's far more reputable ones to get in a similar low cost price range with proven performance and legitimate reviews.
How do you know the reviews are fake? I always struggle with telling that.
Aug 24, 2019
167 posts
147 upvotes
Also, just an FYI- I have stopped buying from amazon as much as I used to two years ago. They are full of fake reviews and defective products.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13901 posts
8994 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Almost no one will have the time to write a full blown review with video recording and pictures, only paid people will do that. Plus, if the price is too good to be true for the quality reviews....it usually is.
HawaiianGate wrote: How do you know the reviews are fake? I always struggle with telling that.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Nov 23, 2004
811 posts
1421 upvotes
Ontario
HawaiianGate wrote: How do you know the reviews are fake? I always struggle with telling that.
The easiest thing most people use is reviewmeta.com BUT the problem is that some of the traits that website checks for the sellers are now circumventing. So here's what to look for with your own eyes:

- What percentage of the reviews have photos? The average Amazon shopper is rarely going to leave photos with their review, and if they do, it'll be a couple quick and dirty cell phone shots. Look at the photos in the reviews on that page and spot the patterns? Almost every single review has photos OR videos (videos are more common with dash cam type reviews), and not just a couple cell phone photos, but photos that consistently show all angles of the product, the box, the unboxing experience, etc. Very unnatural types of photos for joe homeowner to leave.

- Look at the length of the reviews and the detail covered. Add this into the above: all the reviews have photos or videos, all the reviews are quite lengthy, and all the reviews seem to follow a similar structure of story telling about the product rather than just some quick hits about what the person liked or hated.

- All those five star reviews on a $40 dashcam? Doubt it.

- It used to be that you couldn't trust the unverified reviews, and sites like reviewmeta would factor in the percentage of unverified vs verified. However, sellers are now sending people PayPal bribes, usually worth more than the value of the product, for them to buy the product straight through Amazon on the sellers dime. This will make the review show as a verified purchase, but the buyer/reviewer has done so using money from the seller. Also, these sellers commonly pay an incentive on top of that. They want five star reviews, or you don't get your money! Everyone leaves five star reviews because now you're getting the product paid for and some cash on top. This is also against a number of laws in Canada and probably most civilized countries with modern online consumer laws.

- Look at the profiles of the reviewers, the scumbags that do this have a history of doing so. Their profiles are usually full of reviews, all with tons of photos, lots of long paragraphs, etc. More often than not their review and purchase history of their profile is all over the place too, because they're taking whatever they can get money for. I've seen "stay at home mom" types reviewing solar power inverters and having no clue what they talk about, yet they ramble on for paragraphs and post two dozen pictures about how they're "solar powering their home" with a $20 power inverter meant to power a camping charger at most.

It takes a bit of investigative power, but the patterns will become painfully obvious. Unless it's a "sold by amazon" product or a reputable north american seller, the reality is that most Chinese sellers are doing this. There's entire black markets online where they buy and sell reviews with people who are willing to throw away the reputation of their amazon profile and eventually get banned. I wrote a blog about it a couple years ago, and part of diving into that investigation showed me just how bad this is, and just how little amazon cares and pushes it under the rug for more profits.
Mar 30, 2017
196 posts
106 upvotes
mindabsence wrote: I wrote a blog about it a couple years ago, and part of diving into that investigation showed me just how bad this is, and just how little amazon cares and pushes it under the rug for more profits.
Kind of off topic but I would like to read that. Send thru PM, if you want.
Sep 25, 2018
751 posts
1384 upvotes
Pretty small viewing range. A 150-170 degree view range would be better.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4669 posts
4720 upvotes
Vancouver
AlicW93740 wrote: Pretty small viewing range. A 150-170 degree view range would be better.
No dashcam has a 150 - 170 deg horizontal viewing angle. The 16:9 picture would be ridiculously distorted. Most wide-angle dashcams have about a 140 deg horizontal field of view, which is about what you want.

The mistake arose because a few manufacturers started quoting the lens viewing angle. If you think about how the circular lens image has to cover a rectangular sensor area, you will realize that if the lens has a 170 deg FOV, the sensor must be less. But beyond that, the edge of the lens image always suffers from excessive geometric distortion and chromatic aberration, so they have to make sure that about the outer 10% of the lens circular image doesn't touch the rectangular sensor, taking away more of the horizontal field of view. So a 170 deg lens would give you a 140 deg horizontal view on the sensor, or about what you want.

The other cheap copycat manufacturers began copying the "170 deg" spec without understanding what it meant, so it's pretty common now, and totally meaningless. Look at actual photos and videos to see what you're going to get.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4669 posts
4720 upvotes
Vancouver
lemon-ca has sold other dashcams that are "Fulfilled by Amazon", so you could reasonably request a refund from Amazon if it is not as advertised. This one does not appear to be Fulfilled by Amazon, so much higher risk. There are a lot of cheap dashcams with totally fake specs and fake Amazon reviews. Even the best dashcams don't start out with a ton of 5-star "perfect, changed my life" reviews.
Jan 15, 2004
308 posts
1 upvote
mindabsence wrote: All the reviews are fake and bought by the manufacturer, the patterns and trends are obvious. Wouldn't trust a thing I read on there about this cam - there's far more reputable ones to get in a similar low cost price range with proven performance and legitimate reviews.
Any recommendations for reputable ones in the same price range ?
Nov 23, 2004
811 posts
1421 upvotes
Ontario
avid wrote: Any recommendations for reputable ones in the same price range ?
I've had really good luck with the /r/dashcams recommended list over the years! My wife and I have some of the mid-range ones in there (A119 and A129) and love them, but if those are too high for your budget here's the full list pasted below. The list is generally compiled from actual redditor feedback rather than just basing it on some sort of biased review system like Amazon reviews :) I've shared the list with friends and family who have bought various other cams from it over the years too, and I've never heard any complaints from other recommended models either.

Dashcam Recommendations as of July 2019 from /r/dashcams

Budget:
AUKEY Dash Cam - As basic as you can get
B1W - Very discrete
0906 - Dual cam

Mid Range:
A119 v2 - 1440p, low light recording
Rexing V1 - cheapest 4k cam, okay video quality
Street Guardian SG9665GC - Best of dashcamtalk
A129 Duo - Dual Cam
Rexing V1P 3rd Gen - Dual Cam

High End:
Blackvue DR650s - Dual cam. Also option for single channel.
Blackvue DR750s - Dual cam bundle with Power Magic Pro
Blackvue DR900s - Dual Cam/4k bundled with Power Magic Pro
Street Guardian SG9663DC - Dual cam, 1080p front and rear. Thinkware F800 2CH
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
18873 posts
6909 upvotes
Toronto
I have used this dash cam before and it is terrible quality.
Nov 23, 2014
78 posts
93 upvotes
Regina, SK
mindabsence wrote: Look at the photos in the reviews on that page and spot the patterns? Almost every single review has photos OR videos (videos are more common with dash cam type reviews), and not just a couple cell phone photos, but photos that consistently show all angles of the product, the box, the unboxing experience, etc. Very unnatural types of photos for joe homeowner to leave.
I get what you're saying but there are 619 reviews for that camera and only the top 4 have videos (when you leave it on the defauly "top-rated" sort. 5 of the top 20 have videos and 6 of the top 20 have pictures. If you sort by "Most Recent" there is a good mix of reviews.
Oct 27, 2012
172 posts
530 upvotes
Toronto
put price in title
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”

― Stephen McCranie
Banned
Nov 20, 2009
1323 posts
969 upvotes
39.0392° N, 125.7625…