Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] $15.51 AmazonBasics Standard Dog Waste Bags with Dispenser and Leash Clip - Pack of 900

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 15th, 2020 10:21 am
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2008
1069 posts
484 upvotes
GTA
Use compostable bags... its going to cost you more but think about Mother Nature.
I always bring the bag home and place it into my green bin. It stinks but you do what you gotta do to save Planet Earth
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
5830 posts
1496 upvotes
rfd222222 wrote: An even better deal is when walking your dog, he poops, use one bag.

Then take two bags from the community doggy bag container as spares. Eventually you'll have lots of spare bags for times you're not near the free bag container.

If you think that's theft - ever had your dog poop more than once on a walk? Mine did... Always 6 or more poops per walk.

Anyway, just sharing what we did. Worked out well, and only had to buy bags once. The rest came along for free!
If your dog is pooping six or more times per walk you should be taking your dog to the vet or very least trying another food!
Jul 22, 2018
34 posts
16 upvotes
herc wrote: As a side note, if your city allows pet waste as compost, you need compostable bags, which these are not.
This likely varies from city to city. In Toronto, you do not need to use a biodegradable bag.
https://www.toronto.ca/community-people ... (organics).

That said, regardless, biodegradable bags are definitely the better choice for the environment.
Aug 20, 2019
335 posts
339 upvotes
London, Ontario
MrBinh wrote: Hey so I had this great debate with some friends of ours in the neighbourhood.

Dog bags that say biodegradable, take up to a year to breakdown, and that's if their claims are even true. Tossing a biodegradable bag into the trash, means it goes into a landfill anyways, and can take as long as a regular plastic to breakdown.

Some people think leaving poop on grass is amazing fertilizer, it isn't, especially if it isn't placed in a compost. Leaving it around just spreads bacteria everywhere. Have you stepped in it before? yea... not pleasant either.

You may also think that tossing it into your green bin means that your city will automatically transform it into soil for plants, but you should check with your city and see if they actual have the processes and plants for doing so. The compost created by dog poop cannot be used to grow food or be placed near water (rivers/lakes/etc) as they contain lots of pantheons as well as bacteria and parasites. Now, if you decide to create a compost bin/heap at home, then there are lots of guides out there to follow, but again, can't be used for anything but flower beds. Maintaining and turning over the compost heap while creating high temperature is key, so it can kill some of the bacteria. If not, that compost should be kept away from puppies, kids and pregnant women, as they can contain roundworms (google it) and other fun stuff. Bottom line is, if you want healthy compost, you should have a healthy pet at home as well.

You can use flushable bags, which again, you need to call your city's waste water department and see if they have a system in place for those things.

Paper bags are a great idea... until you own a 60lb dog and need to do a two-handed grab of their poop and realize how permeable paper can be at times. But this is a great option for your green bin/composter.

Bottom line, some people have a pets; love them and want to do your part, and the best thing is to at least pick up the crap and NOT TOSS IT IN YOUR NEIGHBOUR'S GARBAGE/GREEN BIN. Glad everywhere here is looking at bags period.
Do not flush Plastic bags. Just because it says “flushable” on the packaging does not mean it should be done. Same as flushable wipes. Don’t do it. Sewer systems are getting mangled as it is.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2004
9944 posts
820 upvotes
Toronto
burtonage wrote: Sorry to be negative, but that just motivates you to keep using plastic bags. Reusable bags for groceries and biodegradable waste bags would make the most difference.
For sure you can't use reusable bags for this job lol
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Sep 4, 2007
395 posts
345 upvotes
There is a misconception between "biodegradable" and "compostable". There is no regulatory proof required to show how biodegradable something is, they only have to break down marginally better than regular plastic bags, which are all going to landfill regardless. There is a lot of catch phrase marketing in it than most realize. Think "military grade" anything, it literally means the bare minimum standard to perform a task successfully.

I'm not against protecting our environment, but the real change to make here isn't that readily available for us at a consumer level. If it was easier and cheap, I'd buy compostable bags and take my dogs' poop to the compost every time. But the reality is we are not close to that yet. So I'll just stick with what's most convenient and cost effective.
Sep 4, 2007
395 posts
345 upvotes
akito925 wrote: For sure you can't use reusable bags for this job lol
He was referring to the earlier quote about not constantly using plastic bags for groceries, not poop. LOL
Apr 24, 2014
237 posts
104 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I got these for my pup and have found no issues with them. I got the green ones though, don't think theirs a difference but still. Hold together well, open up fine, haven't had one rip or anything.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
1084 posts
333 upvotes
YYC
ChachoR47284 wrote: This likely varies from city to city. In Toronto, you do not need to use a biodegradable bag.
https://www.toronto.ca/community-people ... (organics).

That said, regardless, biodegradable bags are definitely the better choice for the environment.
Huh, learn something new everyday. I guess every city has their own regulations regarding how to recycle pet waste. I wonder what they do with the plastic bag because I assume they dump the dog poop into the compost somewhere but then you have this soiled plastic bag to deal with. I sure wouldn't want that job!
May 11, 2009
638 posts
72 upvotes
Toronto
Didi_beee wrote: Use compostable bags... its going to cost you more but think about Mother Nature.
I always bring the bag home and place it into my green bin. It stinks but you do what you gotta do to save Planet Earth
Do you have any recommendations for compostable bags?
May 18, 2012
972 posts
775 upvotes
MARKHAM
chilli604 wrote: I was about to order these for the GF but They not Biodegradable!
My GF usually shits in a toilet but at this price I’ll have her try one of these bags.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
4513 posts
2943 upvotes
burtonage wrote: Sorry to be negative, but that just motivates you to keep using plastic bags. Reusable bags for groceries and biodegradable waste bags would make the most difference.
To make even more difference scoop it into a bucket and flush it down the toilet when you get home.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
21158 posts
2495 upvotes
Toronto
Responsible dog owner here and as previous poster mentioned, no dog owner should be tossing their doggy’s poop in a neighbour’s green/trash bin or just leaving the poop in the grass.

You own a dog? Be responsible and pick up after your dog and dispose of the crap at your own house or city garbage bin.

Can’t count how many times I have seen dog owners let their dog crap and just leave it. I call them out when I see this and some are sheepish while others are combative.

Combative? Come at me bruh!! Don’t give other responsible dog owners a bad name!

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0