Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2017
1037 posts
1149 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] $169 - Razer BlackWidow Elite Mechanical Gaming Keyboard

Razer mechanical keyboards are awesome. I've been monitoring this for a while. Regularly $269.

Last price ever was $149 according to camel but these things don't go on sale often.

Green switch $169: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07FFCN3DJ/

FYI Orange switch is $198: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07K1VXCDR/
25 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2011
1202 posts
949 upvotes
Vancouver
Does this keyboard have loud clicks when typing?
Jan 27, 2009
165 posts
31 upvotes
Downtown Toronto
dicecube wrote: Does this keyboard have loud clicks when typing?
Yes, the green switches (which is the one on sale for $169) are loud and clicky.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2011
1202 posts
949 upvotes
Vancouver
zephyrsin wrote: Yes, the green switches (which is the one on sale for $169) are loud and clicky.
Then I dislike these with a passion! Why not peaceful and serene, relaxing life instead
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2017
1037 posts
1149 upvotes
MauriceLaFlamme wrote: How does this compare to these in terms of build quality?

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.ht ... 1468363881

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.ht ... 1468363830

Anyone try both?
Personal preference. Logitech users their own Romer-G switches where's Razer had its own switches.

I've tried both and Cherry and I still prefer the Razer ones. If you are into clicky sounds then Razer green is the way to go otherwise you can consider the Orange (tactile and silent) or even their new yellow one (linear and silent).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2017
1037 posts
1149 upvotes
Jimboski wrote: Believe it or not it's harder to type on those non loud keyboards.

$170 for a Razer mechanical keyboard seems pretty steep IMO.
You should check out the Das ones. They go for over $200... But damn do they look good!

Back in the days almost everyone had mechanical keyboard until membrane ones came out. And then keyboard companies started marketing these as having keyboards and voila! Lots of revenue!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2017
1037 posts
1149 upvotes
dicecube wrote: Then I dislike these with a passion! Why not peaceful and serene, relaxing life instead
The Orange is also on sale which is tactile and silent. Consider that. Although I find anything around $200 a bit expensive. But the typing experience is amazing.
Aug 17, 2012
473 posts
335 upvotes
COQUITLAM
Pass.

For $169, you can get yourself a decent Ducky mechanical keyboard that's higher quality than Razer.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
49534 posts
5886 upvotes
Toronto
xtrmDeals wrote: You should check out the Das ones. They go for over $200... But damn do they look good!

Back in the days almost everyone had mechanical keyboard until membrane ones came out. And then keyboard companies started marketing these as having keyboards and voila! Lots of revenue!
Das aren't even that nice also.. Ducky are nice or that walmart deal one.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2008
2220 posts
1540 upvotes
Jimboski wrote: You can get anything for half the price and it'll be higher quality than Razer.
I wouldn't say the quality is higher. They're all great quality keyboards. I still got my Razer from 6 years ago and can't find a reason to buy another one as it is still in great condition. Also got a tenkeyless from another brand later... But now these things don't break so I can't buy another one.

Having said that I would recommend getting refurbished mechanical keyboards or wait for staples clearance on an older model. You can easily go under $90 for one at those sales.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
49534 posts
5886 upvotes
Toronto
slimysnot wrote: I wouldn't say the quality is higher. They're all great quality keyboards. I still got my Razer from 6 years ago and can't find a reason to buy another one as it is still in great condition. Also got a tenkeyless from another brand later... But now these things don't break so I can't buy another one.

Having said that I would recommend getting refurbished mechanical keyboards or wait for staples clearance on an older model. You can easily go under $90 for one at those sales.
Mechanical keyboards are make like tanks, other Razer products not so sure.. That's what i meant with my previous post.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2017
1037 posts
1149 upvotes
slimysnot wrote: I wouldn't say the quality is higher. They're all great quality keyboards. I still got my Razer from 6 years ago and can't find a reason to buy another one as it is still in great condition. Also got a tenkeyless from another brand later... But now these things don't break so I can't buy another one.

I feel the same. I recently bought the Asus ones for $99 from Best Buy with the Cherry MX Red and Brown. Didn't like them one bit. My Razer Ultimate from years is still awesome (green).
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
5775 posts
2311 upvotes
Debtario

Yeah I'd wait for a sale, lots of hype and markup on mechanical keyboards, particularly the "gamer" brands. Still rocking my Filco-made CM Storm TKL when it was $50, thought about getting a backlit version but haven't felt the need to spend more for frills.

I don't know what people do with their keyboards, maybe I've been very lucky but I've never had a keyboard fail from regular use/wear. Only reason I've replaced keyboards was keycaps faded and worn smooth, plastic turning beige, AT and PS2 connectors becoming obsolete, and just getting bored of the same model. I'm still using a first gen Logitech G15 from 2005 as a daily driver, not mechanical but feels great and the 18x3 macro keys are handy.

Work is a different story. My employer just gets whatever is the cheapest and most available at the time, lots of OEM dell and Kensington "washable" models that feel terrible and are nearly impossible to clean, people spill drinks on them, drop them, put heavy items on top, toss them about, kink/snap the usb cables, and just about every other kind of abuse you can think of.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Aug 17, 2012
473 posts
335 upvotes
COQUITLAM
M1K3Z0R wrote: Yeah I'd wait for a sale, lots of hype and markup on mechanical keyboards, particularly the "gamer" brands. Still rocking my Filco-made CM Storm TKL when it was $50, thought about getting a backlit version but haven't felt the need to spend more for frills.

I don't know what people do with their keyboards, maybe I've been very lucky but I've never had a keyboard fail from regular use/wear. Only reason I've replaced keyboards was keycaps faded and worn smooth, plastic turning beige, AT and PS2 connectors becoming obsolete, and just getting bored of the same model. I'm still using a first gen Logitech G15 from 2005 as a daily driver, not mechanical but feels great and the 18x3 macro keys are handy.

Work is a different story. My employer just gets whatever is the cheapest and most available at the time, lots of OEM dell and Kensington "washable" models that feel terrible and are nearly impossible to clean, people spill drinks on them, drop them, put heavy items on top, toss them about, kink/snap the usb cables, and just about every other kind of abuse you can think of.
Also about keycaps wearing off, have you tried replacing them with double shot PBT? Those should never fade with use because its just two pieces of plastic molded together, rather than painted/laser engraved on.

And again, forget about buying gamer brands. Overpriced and are usually too large anyways. You'll end up actually losing room for your mouse due to the sheer size of most of these boards. A nice 60% or 65% and a portable numpad is the best option since you'll save a ton of mouse room + it's more ergonomic.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
5775 posts
2311 upvotes
Debtario
VillageIdiot wrote: Also about keycaps wearing off, have you tried replacing them with double shot PBT? Those should never fade with use because its just two pieces of plastic molded together, rather than painted/laser engraved on.

And again, forget about buying gamer brands. Overpriced and are usually too large anyways. You'll end up actually losing room for your mouse due to the sheer size of most of these boards. A nice 60% or 65% and a portable numpad is the best option since you'll save a ton of mouse room + it's more ergonomic.
So far my CM key caps have shown no signs of degradation apart from some shine, but the keyboards I had the issues with were old non-mechanical keyboards for which new keycaps would cost more than the keyboard. Surprisingly my old G15 caps appear to be painted, but have not worn through and the lettering is still sharp through over 15 years of daily use!
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Aug 17, 2012
473 posts
335 upvotes
COQUITLAM
M1K3Z0R wrote: So far my CM key caps have shown no signs of degradation apart from some shine, but the keyboards I had the issues with were old non-mechanical keyboards for which new keycaps would cost more than the keyboard. Surprisingly my old G15 caps appear to be painted, but have not worn through and the lettering is still sharp through over 15 years of daily use!
From personal experience, Logitech keycaps are pretty well made for being ABS.