• Last Updated:
  • Jan 27th, 2021 4:49 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2006
3235 posts
1013 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] $17.99 1000g Lavazza ¡Tierra! Organic Light Roast Beans

Price is up a buck to $17.99 now (you can do a Subscribe&Save to bring it back down but remember to cancel it later since they'll probably raise the price again)

We buy these for espresso based drinks- no, they're not as good as a local roaster but pretty decent, non-oily, light roast and more than 2 lbs of it! Usually, this goes in the $24-26 range and they don't carry it at Costco these days (only the Crema ones).

Lavazza ¡Tierra! light roast organic beans
Last edited by mangoman on Jan 25th, 2021 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
13 replies
Jan 21, 2010
463 posts
539 upvotes
Brantford
Thanks OP. I recall liking this when I got it at Costco a couple of years ago.
Oct 26, 2012
98 posts
57 upvotes
Whitehorse
So are these espresso beans? Or is that just dependant on how they are roasted?
Jan 11, 2009
600 posts
476 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks OP... Picked one up to try
Sep 19, 2019
155 posts
262 upvotes
vancouver
They have these at the Vancouver Costco reg price always 16.99, they go on sale for 13.99 every couple months. My goto bean.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2004
4390 posts
189 upvotes
How are these compared to Lavazza Rossa or Ethical Bean - Lush?
May 21, 2007
257 posts
343 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Thanks for the share OP, will try one.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2006
3235 posts
1013 upvotes
So for myself (and others I know), espressos are actually better tasting with lighter roasts (even Starbucks came out with their Blonde espresso). You can use them for different brew methods according to the bag (including espresso which would make sense since Lavazza is an Italian co.).

If you prefer the burnt taste, then these may not be for you.

Lavazza site

"Tierra Organic: prepare with an espresso machine, a filter coffee machine or a French press."
Braddock54 wrote: So are these espresso beans? Or is that just dependant on how they are roasted?
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2014
2945 posts
2380 upvotes
GTA Ontario
Braddock54 wrote: So are these espresso beans? Or is that just dependant on how they are roasted?
There's no such thing as an "espresso bean". Nor an espresso roast. Espresso is a brewing process. Using the word for anything else is just bad marketing (I've even seen "chocolate-covered espresso beans", which is just a sad attempt to make it seem more luxurious). Espresso is commonly associated with a darker roast but it needn't be; the roast level is completely up to the drinker's taste. So buy whatever coffee you like and use it for espresso.
Oct 13, 2005
236 posts
98 upvotes
Bought a bag of these at Costco when they were on sale. I'm using them in an Espro french press.

Be advised: if your palate leans towards a robust roast of bean, these will yield a fairly thin tasting cup of coffee. I don't mind a more delicate tasting cup myself, but my office mate complains these "taste like water".
Aug 17, 2008
432 posts
213 upvotes
Thanked OP! haven't heard of this one and similarly, I prefer lighter roasts :)
Deal Addict
May 18, 2002
4102 posts
1161 upvotes
Brampton
Im getting a bag to try. I do like light roasts as well as dark.
Dont forget, if you feel it really is too light theres always the option of creating your own blend with another darker roast. Ive had surprisingly good results on occasion.
INFORMATION: The requested thread does not exist.
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2004
1256 posts
182 upvotes
Received my package today and it was compromised. The shipping packaging was fine, but the bag itself had a slit on the back, about 3cm long. Possibly a one-off but recommend you check it when you receive. I normally just shove stuff like this in my pantry, but "luckily" some beans poured out as I was handling the bag.

Talking to Amazon rn, presuming they'll refund me.
Sep 30, 2019
147 posts
173 upvotes
also with a lighter roast, you're going to taste more of the actual bean/varietal notes, and less of the roast notes. . .you'll have a greater chance of catching fruit/floral, etc.

. . .not to mention, generally higher caffeine with a lighter roast versus a darker roast of the same bean