Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

[$172] Godox V860II flash (Li-on, R2 TTL, olympus + wireless cross brand)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 7th, 2018 7:34 pm
[OP]
Jul 21, 2015
287 posts
322 upvotes
Toronto, ON

[Amazon.ca] [$172] Godox V860II flash (Li-on, R2 TTL, olympus + wireless cross brand)

Cheapest price I've seen in over a year for a V860II, in Canada or otherwise.

If you're not familiar, Godox is bringing down prices and features of flashes, to get something better you'd have to get a profoto for $1K+
This is an Olympus/Panasonic mount, but if you use if off camera (which is easy and makes nicer pictures than on-camera flash), it is cross compatible with any of the Godox triggers / radio masters (X1T, X1Pro, TT350, TT680, etc, for Canon/Nikon/Sony/Fuji/Panasonic). Also sold under other names, flashpoint R2 in Adorama, cheetah, etc.

So, if you don't use Olympus and don't have a godox trigger, you'd need one of these X1T triggers:
https://www.amazon.ca/Godox-Wireless-Tr ... ywords=x1t
or a compact TT350 is nice, can give you small bounce flash and control the V860II:
https://www.amazon.ca/Godox-Speedlite-M ... tt350+sony

I love my V860II, the Li-on battery is so much better than 4xAA batteries, lasts forever
9 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
15638 posts
6129 upvotes
Toronto
I just want a cheap HSS capable flash... is this my most cost effective option? I don't care about TTL.

This is pretty close to $200 which seems expensive for a Chinese flash.
[OP]
Jul 21, 2015
287 posts
322 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Kurtz7834 wrote: I just want a cheap HSS capable flash... is this my most cost effective option? I don't care about TTL.

This is pretty close to $200 which seems expensive for a Chinese flash.
There are cheaper HSS capable options, but, how are you going to use it?
If you are doing portrait, using any kind of modifier, or use it outside in daylight, you need something at least this strong, and very close to your subject, since HSS makes flash about 2 stops weaker.

If you just want a tiny bit of light, something smaller (like a TT350) could work, but unlikely to give you useful results.

If you are in the studio, and don't want TTL, you can get some strobes and "dumb" triggers that can still do HSS in manual.
In Godox world, that would be something like this: http://flashhavoc.com/godox-ft-16-trans ... sync-port/
But other brands have stuff that could work.

That said, it won't be much cheaper and you lose TTL (though you gain some power and reliability from a studio strobe)

Edit: There's also the TT685 which is ~139 normal price, same power and features as this V860II just 4xAA instead of the custom Li-on, just longer recycle time.
But yes, in my opinion unless it's off camera HSS is rarely useful.
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
15638 posts
6129 upvotes
Toronto
aximrocks wrote: Neewer GN60 $69

same as Godox TT600

https://www.amazon.ca/Neewer-Manual-Mas ... eewer+gn60
From the product description:

"NW865S can achieve 1/8000s high-speed sync functions only when using in combination with neewer N1S trigger, it is not available when the flash is mounted onto the camera (Note:you need to buy N1S additionally) "

I have the Neewer N1T trigger... is that the same thing as the N1S? I find this stuff so confusing.
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
15638 posts
6129 upvotes
Toronto
antithesis99 wrote: There are cheaper HSS capable options, but, how are you going to use it?
If you are doing portrait, using any kind of modifier, or use it outside in daylight, you need something at least this strong, and very close to your subject, since HSS makes flash about 2 stops weaker.

If you just want a tiny bit of light, something smaller (like a TT350) could work, but unlikely to give you useful results.

If you are in the studio, and don't want TTL, you can get some strobes and "dumb" triggers that can still do HSS in manual.
In Godox world, that would be something like this: http://flashhavoc.com/godox-ft-16-trans ... sync-port/
But other brands have stuff that could work.

That said, it won't be much cheaper and you lose TTL (though you gain some power and reliability from a studio strobe)

Edit: There's also the TT685 which is ~139 normal price, same power and features as this V860II just 4xAA instead of the custom Li-on, just longer recycle time.
But yes, in my opinion unless it's off camera HSS is rarely useful.
Thank you for the useful info.

I want HSS for Outdoor portraits.

I just ordered a TT685 on Amazon I will probably stick with that since funds are limited.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0741668NS/

That is powerful enough to do what I want? I also have the Neewer N1T trigger, I'm not sure how that differs from the Neewer N1S trigger mentioned in the above post.

Does the V860II increase the battery life vs Nimh AA, due to its Lithium ion battery? Or does it only improve the recycle time?

Would the $69 flash that was mentioned above also work in HSS when used with the N1T trigger?
Deal Addict
May 31, 2005
1726 posts
515 upvotes
Mississauga
Kurtz7834 wrote: From the product description:

"NW865S can achieve 1/8000s high-speed sync functions only when using in combination with neewer N1S trigger, it is not available when the flash is mounted onto the camera (Note:you need to buy N1S additionally) "

I have the Neewer N1T trigger... is that the same thing as the N1S? I find this stuff so confusing.
I think that's a typo, should be N1T-S. the TT600 only has the center pin since it's a manual flash. so not brand specific, any of the brand triggers will fire it.

N1T-C = canon
N1T-N = nikon
N1T-O = m4/3
N1T-S = sony

https://www.amazon.ca/Neewer%C2%AE-Chan ... B01GRXVC14
Jun 1, 2011
263 posts
161 upvotes
Fredericton
IMG_4397.jpg

My Neewer NW865S arrived yesterday.

It has Sony multi-interface hotshoe pins. I was surprised that it did (not a problem for me though) as I was expecting only a center pin.

That said, it sits in the hotshoe on my Godox X1TS trigger (which is center pin, no Sony MIS pins) and fires fine both on and off camera (though I'm never using it on camera).
Jun 1, 2011
263 posts
161 upvotes
Fredericton
Kurtz7834 wrote: Thank you for the useful info.

I want HSS for Outdoor portraits.

I just ordered a TT685 on Amazon I will probably stick with that since funds are limited.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0741668NS/

That is powerful enough to do what I want? I also have the Neewer N1T trigger, I'm not sure how that differs from the Neewer N1S trigger mentioned in the above post.

Does the V860II increase the battery life vs Nimh AA, due to its Lithium ion battery? Or does it only improve the recycle time?

Would the $69 flash that was mentioned above also work in HSS when used with the N1T trigger?
The triggers need the hotshoe brand-specific pins to enable HSS - so the shoes are different for each camera type. They will trigger any Godox wireless X flash or strobe.

The TT600 / NW865 is a non-ttl manual flash, and can do off camera HSS with the X1T / N1T triggers.

They'll do HSS outdoors, but don't expect to overpower the sun until you put three of them together - which is still cheaper but less convenient than a 200Ws Godox AD200 and even then HSS cuts several stops of light. If you're doing lots of outdoor portraits, you'll eventually want to look at an AD600, but two or three of these speed lights are still handy to have around.

The battery life of the V8x0ii series is much better than that of 4xAA batteries. That said I use rechargeable AAs or cheap Kirklands (which do very well in flashes).

Recycle time between a v860ii or a TT685 / 600 is pretty close, like 1.35 sec vs 1.5 sec going from memory (you can search youtube).

If battery duration and recycle is really a concern, then the other consideration is that the TT685 / 600 / NW865 versions have a high voltage charging port for an external battery pack like the Godox PB960, which can power either two speedlites or with a Y-connector both ports can connect to a single flash - either of which enable a crazy number of shots and really speeds up recycle.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)