Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] 18.99 - UGreen (Apple MFi) USB-C to Lightning Cable (Fast Charge)

• Last Updated:
  • May 28th, 2019 5:45 am
[OP]
Feb 11, 2019
373 posts
428 upvotes
ON

[Amazon.ca] 18.99 - UGreen (Apple MFi) USB-C to Lightning Cable (Fast Charge)

Inb4 you can get cheap cables for 2$, those won't support PD/Fast Charge which is basically the only reason to get USB-C to Lightning in the first place

This is the cheapest MFi USB-C cable currently available, compare with:
$36 - Scosche
$27 - Anker
$25 - Apple, Mophie, Belkin

Obviously still expensive for a cable, hopefully Apple switches rest of devices from lightning soon
11 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 12, 2017
13685 posts
3762 upvotes
Scarberia
Can’t u get this on eBay for couple bux. Especially back wen they had 3off code to abuse
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
3735 posts
998 upvotes
Calgary
mikka2017 wrote: Can’t u get this on eBay for couple bux. Especially back wen they had 3off code to abuse
overtask wrote: Inb4 you can get cheap cables for 2$, those won't support PD/Fast Charge which is basically the only reason to get USB-C to Lightning in the first place
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2005
2014 posts
706 upvotes
Montréal, QC
I haven't tried them, but CanadaComputers has some UGreen products in-store and the quality seems decent.
[OP]
Feb 11, 2019
373 posts
428 upvotes
ON
Rumour has it that Apple charges double for the USB-C MFi chips, so $US 8 for the manufacturer, unless Apple cuts the price down they won't really be much cheaper
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
18840 posts
4946 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks, picked one up. Now I can just take my MacBook 30 Watt USB-C charger for both my MacBook and my iDevices for short trips.

This will work well for my iPad Pro 10.5". Less necessary for my iPhone 7 Plus though.
overtask wrote: Rumour has it that Apple charges double for the USB-C MFi chips, so $US 8 for the manufacturer, unless Apple cuts the price down they won't really be much cheaper
Apple doesn’t charge US$4 for the USB 2 Lightning chips anymore. As of last year at least, apparently it has been possible to manufacture and ship complete MFi certified cables in bulk for 20-25 RMB each, which works out to US$2.91-$3.64. Again, that’s for the complete cables, not just the chip, and includes the transportation costs out of China.
[OP]
Feb 11, 2019
373 posts
428 upvotes
ON
Also picked up this Anker 30w for 25$, might be useful
EugW wrote: Thanks, picked one up. Now I can just take my MacBook 30 Watt USB-C charger for both my MacBook and my iDevices for short trips.

This will work well for my iPad Pro 10.5". Less necessary for my iPhone 7 Plus though.

Apple doesn’t charge US$4 for the USB 2 Lightning chips anymore. As of last year at least, apparently it has been possible to manufacture and ship complete MFi certified cables in bulk for 20-25 RMB each, which works out to US$2.91-$3.64. Again, that’s for the complete cables, not just the chip, and includes the transportation costs out of China.
The rumour I heard was when they just opened up the MFi programme for USB-C late last year, maybe they cut the price for the old chips once that started?
[OP]
Feb 11, 2019
373 posts
428 upvotes
ON
For those interested, received the cable, no issues with fast charge. Quality/finish identical to OEM cables - not necessarily a good thing if you're worried about durability.
Feb 11, 2018
55 posts
6 upvotes
Yes, If It is not MFI Certified, I think it will not set such high price.