Apple TV HD (32GB) - $160
https://www.amazon.ca/Apple-MR912CL-A-T ... 0787GWCVJ/
65 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19582 posts
5664 upvotes
Toronto
This is the older model with the crappy remote.
Last edited by EugW on Jun 10th, 2021 11:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dec 10, 2012
253 posts
266 upvotes
Here's a stupid question. Do I want an Apple TV if I have a PS5 and NVIDIA Shield? What would I use it for? Just for renting movies? I don't see myself doing it, but I'm trying to setup everything I need for a home theatre and wouldn't mind buying it if it makes sense.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19582 posts
5664 upvotes
Toronto
Behacad wrote: Here's a stupid question. Do I want an Apple TV if I have a PS5 and NVIDIA Shield? What would I use it for? Just for renting movies? I don't see myself doing it, but I'm trying to setup everything I need for a home theatre and wouldn't mind buying it if it makes sense.
You can download Apple TV+ to your NVIDIA shield. I wouldn't bother getting the Apple TV 4K for now. You can reassess later, but I suspect you won't need it.
May 25, 2020
60 posts
70 upvotes
What makes you say the remote is crappy?
Nov 9, 2017
66 posts
231 upvotes
ztauby wrote: What makes you say the remote is crappy?
Crappy in comparison to the updated one I suspect. I wouldn't say crappy though.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2005
2091 posts
792 upvotes
Montréal, QC
I have this version and the remote is a pain to use.
Sep 10, 2018
45 posts
31 upvotes
Behacad wrote: Here's a stupid question. Do I want an Apple TV if I have a PS5 and NVIDIA Shield? What would I use it for? Just for renting movies? I don't see myself doing it, but I'm trying to setup everything I need for a home theatre and wouldn't mind buying it if it makes sense.
i had the same ps5 and shield setup (mine was the newer shield pro too). long story short, bought the new ATV 4k, sold the shield.
It all depends on your personal use. I don't use the Ps5 for movies. Shield worked great for Plex, netflix, etc. Tried the ATV4k when it came out and it does everything i need it to. For MY personal use, I love the integration with my iOS devices, use my phone mostly to control the device, 4k HDR is also great with it. Haven't found the need for the shield and so i sold it.

a few benefits; ios integration (including Airplay and fitness + now) [my tv or Ps5 doesn't have airplay], sonos integration, frequent updates, youtube is now HDR (THANK YOU), and i personally like the smooth UI of the ATV (will only get better with tvOS 15?)
drawbacks: apple pricing (majority of the good apps are PAID in the store), locked in the ecosystem will make it difficult to switch, fewer pro level features like in the shield (lossless, codecs, etc) [hasn't bugged me, i'm no pro :) as long as it looks and sounds great, i'm happy]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19582 posts
5664 upvotes
Toronto
That remote is really annoying to use since they removed the direction buttons from the previous model and tried to convert the commands to touchpad control, unsuccessfully.

I haven’t used the new remote but I see they brought those buttons back in response to all the complaints.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
11271 posts
3790 upvotes
Still a rip off - so many better choices for less.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19582 posts
5664 upvotes
Toronto
EugW wrote: That remote is really annoying to use since they removed the direction buttons from the previous model and tried to convert the commands to touchpad control, unsuccessfully.

I haven’t used the new remote but I see they brought those buttons back in response to all the complaints.
Jul 2, 2008
222 posts
78 upvotes
upscaling is good. Make sure to turn on match content settings if using 4k or video quality is a bit weird. HDR works but I still find HDR a bit of a gimmick, very saturated. Use luna vpn and casting from iphone for youtube instead of youtube app to get rid of ads. works great with airpods.
I dont use plex but vlc is good enough for movie files via smb to nas. remote is quirky but nothing too terrible.

Previously tried chromecast with tv, nvidia shield
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2010
1997 posts
421 upvotes
kool1 wrote: Still a rip off - so many better choices for less.
Such as?

I have a Roku, FireTV, XBox One, and Apple TV and the Apple TV is by far the best to use.
How can an ant carry twenty times its body weight, but root beer floats are still delicious?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19582 posts
5664 upvotes
Toronto
rufryda wrote: I dont use plex but vlc is good enough for movie files via smb to nas.
The best third party video player is Infuse. Much slicker than vlc but not free.
sixteen12 wrote: Such as?

I have a Roku, FireTV, XBox One, and Apple TV and the Apple TV is by far the best to use.
I never use my Fire TV Sticks or Chromecasts anymore. It’s either Apple TV or else the built in TV apps.
Last edited by EugW on Jun 10th, 2021 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
3513 posts
4812 upvotes
Canada
I recently got an Apple TV 4k (the new one) and while it is overpriced, it is freaking glorious to have proper frame rate matching for my JVC projector setup.

Most shows are filmed in 24fps now, 3:2 pulldown sucks hard.
Feb 22, 2010
421 posts
429 upvotes
kool1 wrote: Still a rip off - so many better choices for less.
Never heard of one. Tried them all, and always returned to the Apple TV.

It seems it's the only one shipping with a proper OS.
Jun 25, 2005
646 posts
312 upvotes
I have an Amazon Fire and although the price and functionality is ok, I hate the UI and Home Screen. My Apple TV work well and is uncluttered. It also doesn’t have tracking or ads, I heard Visio TVs have data tracking in the TV and the company makes more from selling data and ads than making actual TVs.

I think paying extra for the new version makes more sense. I’d recommend waiting for a Staples or Costco sale.
Feb 22, 2010
421 posts
429 upvotes
The 64GB also on sale if you want to add it in your post.
Dec 10, 2012
253 posts
266 upvotes
EugW wrote: You can download Apple TV+ to your NVIDIA shield. I wouldn't bother getting the Apple TV 4K for now. You can reassess later, but I suspect you won't need it.
Thanks! I think my receiver also has airplay, which further limits the need.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2002
9427 posts
5945 upvotes
Toronto
Newer model is worth it, since the remote alone costs $69.

Overpriced since Shield TV and Fire TV remotes are like $40, but what can you do.