Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

$180 - Apple TV 4K (32GB)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 15th, 2021 9:04 am
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2020
3297 posts
3195 upvotes
EugW wrote: You can download Apple TV+ to your NVIDIA shield. I wouldn't bother getting the Apple TV 4K for now. You can reassess later, but I suspect you won't need it.
You can side load it, but it doesnt work right. Otherwise the shield and apple tv are comparable in use.
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2020
3297 posts
3195 upvotes
Angultra wrote: Newer model is worth it, since the remote alone costs $69.

Overpriced since Shield TV and Fire TV remotes are like $40, but what can you do.
The apple one is a better remote, but do you really need a better remote?
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
12640 posts
6013 upvotes
douber wrote: Never heard of one. Tried them all, and always returned to the Apple TV.

It seems it's the only one shipping with a proper OS.
Well I guess if you are an Apple person you will say that
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
12640 posts
6013 upvotes
sixteen12 wrote: Such as?

I have a Roku, FireTV, XBox One, and Apple TV and the Apple TV is by far the best to use.
Chromecast with Google TV?

$69 - beautiful UI and works with everything
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10950 posts
3262 upvotes
kool1 wrote: Well I guess if you are an Apple person you will say that
Or maybe his preferences are just different than yours.

Why do these religious types always pop in to try converting people? Do they get points in some idiotic soul saving contest?
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10950 posts
3262 upvotes
Behacad wrote: Here's a stupid question. Do I want an Apple TV if I have a PS5 and NVIDIA Shield? What would I use it for? Just for renting movies? I don't see myself doing it, but I'm trying to setup everything I need for a home theatre and wouldn't mind buying it if it makes sense.
Secondary use is it acts as a homekit hub.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
12640 posts
6013 upvotes
ceredon wrote: Or maybe his preferences are just different than yours.
Maybe, but usually when people discard everything else as not "proper" it says something.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2013
2149 posts
1868 upvotes

Why do these religious types always pop in to try converting people? Do they get points in some idiotic soul saving contest?
People have preferences, that’s why choices and products exist for different people and uses. I’ve had an Apple TV 4th gen (now called HD) for nearly 6 years now and it still runs everything perfectly. The remote as others have mentioned can be a pain to use, but all of the features and integration (if most of what you use are other Apple products) are worth the price.

The interface is also free of ads and clutter and isn’t constantly harvesting data.
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10950 posts
3262 upvotes
kool1 wrote: Maybe, but usually when people discard everything else as not "proper" it says something.
Mostly, it just says he prefers it.

It’s not like he’s popping into threads trying to persuade people away from a deal because he’d prefer they try something he likes.
Sep 10, 2018
85 posts
57 upvotes
AppleTV 4k pro tip: use 4K SDR as video output in settings. then enable Dynamic switching and framerates.

this will push 4K SDR as normal, but when you have HDR content, it will switch to that.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2012
1304 posts
2447 upvotes
douber wrote: Never heard of one. Tried them all, and always returned to the Apple TV.

It seems it's the only one shipping with a proper OS.
Unless you need Apple-specific features like HomeKit and AirPlay 2 support, in my testing recently Shield Pro is better. I haven't seen a device do 4K Upscaling like the Shield does.

Edit: Nevermind the original post says "cheaper". The Pro costs more than the ATV 4k by $30 with 16GB vs 64GB
Oct 20, 2018
472 posts
509 upvotes
williest wrote: Crappy in comparison to the updated one I suspect. I wouldn't say crappy though.
It’s the worst remote I ever used in my entire life.
And that’s include the one from the shitty tv my mother have.

I bought a chromecast to not use it anymore.
Oct 20, 2018
472 posts
509 upvotes
Kevcorm wrote:
The apple one is a better remote, but do you really need a better remote?
Angultra wrote:
Don't really need it per se, but every review says it's a vast improvement.

https://www.theverge.com/22446699/apple ... ures-price

It’s a complete pain in the ass to use.

Agreed the ATV is great, but the remote ruins everything.

I switched to CCwGTV (chromecast with google tv, wtf is that name), it’s great… except the ATV+ app on it!
And the whole system is the same price as the Apple remote! (And if you have/wants Netflix, it’s 30$ Because you pay 120$ and they give you 90$ credit for Netflix!)
Oct 20, 2010
298 posts
145 upvotes
BC
I've got one of these, and HDR content is so dark as to make some scenes unviewable e.g., while watching Jack Ryan on Prime Video. Don't know if it's because of the Apple TV, or because of my monitor (yes, I hooked up my Apple TV to a Samsung UR55 4k monitor). Anyone else have this issue?

I learned to live with the remote. Hooking up a Bluetooth keyboard helps.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2006
1083 posts
1364 upvotes
Bradford
If you have an iphone, you can also quickly swipe up and use the atv remote on it - very handy if you can't find the physical remote. And you can type your searches with the phone. Also handy if the person with the remote chooses something you don't like...
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/t ... cadc1/tvos
Last edited by drnic on Jun 10th, 2021 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 18, 2007
78 posts
127 upvotes

Eh, it's the Apple way - if the product can't do what you want, your requirements are wrong.

I generally like Apple products because there is a lot of effort put into the design. But when the design misses the mark on how I want to use something, it is very frustrating to be told that my requirements are wrong. Sigh.
Jul 9, 2019
733 posts
2692 upvotes
Angultra wrote: Newer model is worth it, since the remote alone costs $69.
Ironically older remote costed Apple more to manufacture as it’s more premium internals and glass on exterior, difference is around $20 but Apple didn’t passed this saving to customers.
Jul 9, 2019
733 posts
2692 upvotes
I have both standalone Apple TV box with a LG TV and TCL TV with Roku built in which has Apple TV app and Airplay as well.

Reason for buying an Apple TV -

Privacy and Security

UI (Apple’s attention to detail and animations)

Quality of apps

Acts as a Apple Homekit hub, if you are into smart home

Easiest pairing with AirPods and HomePod speakers.

It upscales 1080p to 4k best in my experience

Reasons for avoiding an Apple TV -

Expensive, no bundled HDMI cable after paying iPad money for a TV box. How can one justify $300 TV box for $600 TV. Unless you are one of those lucky one’s with an OLED TV.

Ugly black huge box size of an iMac which is an actual computer, it’s an eyesore.

Doesn’t work well with YouTube, Google and Apple are fighting over codecs so no 4k option on Apple TV.

I don’t like Roku plastic remote and it’s UI is not stylish but it works absolutely fine even with an iPhone, I AirPlay to it all the time.

Apple TV is more of a luxury not a necessity.
Last edited by Hahahapxl on Jun 10th, 2021 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.