[Amazon.ca] $19.99 Kasa Smart Light Switch by TP-Link

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 9th, 2020 12:24 am
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2005
1147 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto
shankman6 wrote: If you need assistance wiring these. Follow the guys here.
It helped me out
Youtube link..
link doesn't work, takes you bake to the RF thread.
Nov 21, 2018
9 posts
1 upvote
Montreal
Is that possible to use it (without plate) for 1 of three gang switches? And Can I use it to replace the on/off toggle switch for the pool pump or maybe pump.switch need high AMP support? So appreciated for advices.
Mar 25, 2013
387 posts
196 upvotes
Toronto
Best brand of smart plugs and switches. never had any issues I own dozens .Great deal thanks OP

I think some of their plugs are on sale as well.
DroidKid
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
2754 posts
2764 upvotes
Vancouver
YuetongD37711 wrote: Is that possible to use it (without plate) for 1 of three gang switches? And Can I use it to replace the on/off toggle switch for the pool pump or maybe pump.switch need high AMP support? So appreciated for advices.
You can use it as one of 3 switches. What you do is buy a replacement 3-switch cover plate that has one standard Deco opening for this switch, then the other 2 openings the way you want them for the other 2 switches. You can swap the switches around if necessary to fit the openings. Cover plates of various different configurations are only a couple of dollars at your local hardware store. As always with these smart switches, you may have a bit of a struggle getting it to fit in the box with all the wires, but it can be done.

It is unclear how many amps the HS200 switch can handle. It is rated at both 15 amps and "Max 600 watts of incandescent lighting" by TP-Link. I have seen many questions about this apparently-inconsistent rating, but never a clear answer. I would not trust the 15 amps.

I've had one of these switches for a couple of years. It works fine, but there are two minor faults:
1. It drops offline much more than my other TP-Link switches and plugs, possibly due to weaker WiFi reception, and I notice because this is the only TP-Link product that does not recover the connection with Home Assistant automatically.
2. The TP-Link Kasa app monitors total power-on time for their products - but it's totally inaccurate for the HS200, reporting several hours per day of on-time when it's only minutes, and sometimes even > 24 hours of on-time in one day!
Jun 4, 2018
196 posts
82 upvotes
For people with dozens of the switches, does it clog up the router and cause interruptions/slowdowns/disconnections on other devices?
Nov 16, 2015
501 posts
935 upvotes
Toronto, ON
AlexS37855 wrote: For people with dozens of the switches, does it clog up the router and cause interruptions/slowdowns/disconnections on other devices?
i have approx 2 dozen smart devices. i reduce the bandwith priority for them (current router, guest netowrk) or i'll put them on a seperate wifi network that's bandwith limited (old router)
[OP]
Oct 17, 2005
292 posts
500 upvotes
Toronto
AlexS37855 wrote: For people with dozens of the switches, does it clog up the router and cause interruptions/slowdowns/disconnections on other devices?
I don't notice any issues but I restrict my IOT devices to only 2.4GHz and on a seperate VLAN using Unifi devices(AP, switch and router)
Jun 15, 2015
37 posts
12 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Does no one find that they miss the rocker style? I had different 'push' smart.switches before and we couldn't get used to it.

As well, the night loght...can you turn it off? Can only imagine on a bank of 3 or 4 the multiple circle lights.

I guess these aren't for me, but the price is right, and seems reputable.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
2754 posts
2764 upvotes
Vancouver
There is a debate about this. Technically the answer is No, they use very little bandwidth, and your router should be able to support dozens of them with no noticeable effect. And I've never seen anyone report a problem.

However, if you put a monitor on your network traffic, you will see an astonishing amount of traffic as these devices and most other smart home gear "phone home" with a rather unnecessary frequency. That's what makes people wonder if cheaper/older consumer routers might have a problem with so many devices communicating so frequently. While technically all routers should be able to support at least 255 WiFi devices, sometimes older routers with slow CPUs and inefficient software just weren't designed to switch back and forth between many devices that quickly. People also wonder if it might not disrupt beam-steering on newer routers that do handle many devices at once. However, there's no evidence to that effect that I know of.
Jul 22, 2019
777 posts
723 upvotes
Love tp link switches and plugs. Work flawlessly every single time. All others suck. Tried Belkin before wemo? hit Or kids connecting.

Just be careful with the tp link plugs because the cheaper newer ones are only 10 amps not sure why they do that.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2010
2064 posts
1473 upvotes
I've had these for a couple years, have been rock solid.
Jul 2, 2012
17 posts
3 upvotes
BRAMPTON
Mine were a bit unstable before as well. I set static IPs for each switch, along with a cheapo 2.4g extender in AP mode for each floor and they've been awesome.
Jun 4, 2018
196 posts
82 upvotes
Andyc416 wrote: i have approx 2 dozen smart devices. i reduce the bandwith priority for them (current router, guest netowrk) or i'll put them on a seperate wifi network that's bandwith limited (old router)
blazer7 wrote: I don't notice any issues but I restrict my IOT devices to only 2.4GHz and on a seperate VLAN using Unifi devices(AP, switch and router)
Scote64 wrote: There is a debate about this. Technically the answer is No, they use very little bandwidth, and your router should be able to support dozens of them with no noticeable effect. And I've never seen anyone report a problem.

However, if you put a monitor on your network traffic, you will see an astonishing amount of traffic as these devices and most other smart home gear "phone home" with a rather unnecessary frequency. That's what makes people wonder if cheaper/older consumer routers might have a problem with so many devices communicating so frequently. While technically all routers should be able to support at least 255 WiFi devices, sometimes older routers with slow CPUs and inefficient software just weren't designed to switch back and forth between many devices that quickly. People also wonder if it might not disrupt beam-steering on newer routers that do handle many devices at once. However, there's no evidence to that effect that I know of.
Yea my main concern since it needs to talk to cloud for the switches to function, it would be constantly communicating back and forth(not really worried about the data usage but rather than the frequency). Z-Wave switches seems to be a lot more expensive once you start to scale them up and Zigbee seems to operate on the same 2.4Ghz frequency.

Does putting all the IOT devices on a separate wifi network actually helps? I would think that more wifi broadcasts would mean more interference.(You would have 2 Wifi broadcasting instead of 1)
Apr 10, 2009
691 posts
113 upvotes
YuetongD37711 wrote: Is that possible to use it (without plate) for 1 of three gang switches?
Its a standard size so you can mix it with existing switches.

I think I'll pick up a few more switches at this price. Just replaced a bunch of three ways with kasa switches as well.
Aug 30, 2006
28 posts
17 upvotes
Victoria
I see one of the reviews on Amazon mentioning that the switch does not work with LED lights.

Can anybody confirm this? I have mostly LED lights so don't want to waste my time if these are not compatible.