Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] $19.99 Kasa Smart Light Switch by TP-Link

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 9th, 2020 12:24 am
Jun 4, 2018
196 posts
82 upvotes
j0k3r wrote: I see one of the reviews on Amazon mentioning that the switch does not work with LED lights.

Can anybody confirm this? I have mostly LED lights so don't want to waste my time if these are not compatible.
I am not sure what that means, do you want the dimming feature or just a regular switch?

This is basically just a regular switch with the ability to toggle through the app/alexa/google. It works by toggle it on and off, I am not sure if LED is any different.
Jan 12, 2003
568 posts
163 upvotes
Well frig me, I just saw these on clearance at my walmart for $20 so I cleared them out, the 3 way 2 pack was on clearance for $40, I might go back for them.

Just added a ring alarm system, combined with the smart switches the house should look like a gong show should anyone set the alarm off.
2003/4 Logitech Cordless Navigator Duo
2007 - Pepsi - Score Every Hour - XBox 360 Arcade
2007 - KFC Chicken Bowls Contest - $5 Gift Card
2008 - Pepsi - "Win The Play" - 2 NFL Hats
2008 - WD - Crack the Code - TShirt
2009 - Wonder Bread Watch
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
5867 posts
1697 upvotes
Montreal
j0k3r wrote: I see one of the reviews on Amazon mentioning that the switch does not work with LED lights.

Can anybody confirm this? I have mostly LED lights so don't want to waste my time if these are not compatible.
I use this switch with GU-10 LED bulbs and there's no issue, nor do I see how their could even be an issue. This is an on/off switch; it controls power to the socket and doesn't know or care what's in that socket.

The reviews on the listing are combined for all products on the listing, which includes a dimming switch. The reviewer may have been talking about the dimming switch and trying to use it with non-dimmable LED lights.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2012
1739 posts
1110 upvotes
Calgary
In case anyone's curious, I checked and Google Wifi shows that over the past 7 days, the most "active" switch on my network used a total of 1.1 MB download and 0.7 MB upload, so virtually no data (size-wise) transferred out to the internet by these.
Nov 16, 2015
501 posts
935 upvotes
Toronto, ON
AlexS37855 wrote: Does putting all the IOT devices on a separate wifi network actually helps? I would think that more wifi broadcasts would mean more interference.(You would have 2 Wifi broadcasting instead of 1)
i put them on a guest network for an extra layer of security. if one of the devices get's hacked they only have access to your guest network and not your primary one.
Sep 30, 2009
372 posts
96 upvotes
Mississauga
MexiCanuck wrote: I have a few of the HS200 and several of the mini switches. One mini switch started failing. Several weeks later, the 2.4 ghz signal oh my wifi router failed. When I got a new “router” (Velop setup actually), the switch worked fine.
i have a new Bell Home 3000 and it’s literally 2 meters away from my kitchen light switches and I find them blinking red once and a while.
Aug 30, 2015
439 posts
430 upvotes
BC
For those who are also installing 3-way tp-link switches, just a friendly reminder : it’s undocumented but you can easily just install one, instead of both switches for each 3-way you have. This doubles the value you get out of each pack you buy! I have over a dozen done this way.
May 17, 2007
484 posts
127 upvotes
Toronto
alphahunter wrote: i have a new Bell Home 3000 and it’s literally 2 meters away from my kitchen light switches and I find them blinking red once and a while.
Have you tried a non provide router?
Andyc416 wrote: i put them on a guest network for an extra layer of security. if one of the devices get's hacked they only have access to your guest network and not your primary one.
That means your Google Home or Amazon Alexa needs to be on that network too.
Mar 25, 2013
387 posts
196 upvotes
Toronto
Andyc416 wrote: i have approx 2 dozen smart devices. i reduce the bandwith priority for them (current router, guest netowrk) or i'll put them on a seperate wifi network that's bandwith limited (old router)
Never thought about bandwidth priority thanks man!
DroidKid
Oct 24, 2011
676 posts
299 upvotes
I literally ordered 4 switches for $24.99 each from Amazon 2 days ago. Do you think I can get price match or something?
Worst case I can return and buy again
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2004
2747 posts
506 upvotes
Ontario
The switches are way better then the smart bulbs. Never an issue with the switches coming back online verses the smart bulbs giving hiccups. Half my house has neutrals and other half doesn't., which sucks .
¨°º©oVelox, Versutus, Vigilanso©º°¨
Jul 22, 2019
777 posts
723 upvotes
ESJExplorer wrote: I literally ordered 4 switches for $24.99 each from Amazon 2 days ago. Do you think I can get price match or something?
Worst case I can return and buy again
You're better off re-ordering and returning the $24.99 ones.
Jan 2, 2014
643 posts
249 upvotes
orb2k wrote: Have you tried a non provide router?

That means your Google Home or Amazon Alexa needs to be on that network too.
False
Sep 24, 2011
106 posts
51 upvotes
Calgary
I bought 5 HS220 and 2 HS200 in the last week. Amazon doesnt price match.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)