Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] $19.99 Kasa Smart Light Switch by TP-Link

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 9th, 2020 12:24 am
Newbie
Nov 27, 2011
33 posts
30 upvotes
I have only one of these, but a few variations of switches and bulbs. this one and the dimmer switched from Costco are my favourite. the GLOBE bulbs are OK at best, sometimes they stay on flickering after they are turned off via google which is really annoying.

In short, this is a good price for a good product, and i generally would not recommend the GLOBE bulbs unless you can't use the switches easily in the area or you are looking for colour changing bulbs.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
2753 posts
2763 upvotes
Vancouver
disber wrote: I have only one of these, but a few variations of switches and bulbs. this one and the dimmer switched from Costco are my favourite. the GLOBE bulbs are OK at best, sometimes they stay on flickering after they are turned off via google which is really annoying.

In short, this is a good price for a good product, and i generally would not recommend the GLOBE bulbs unless you can't use the switches easily in the area or you are looking for colour changing bulbs.
Globe is a no-go at present because they rely on the Tuya Smart Life servers. Tuya has been on a rampage to break their links to other automation services lately. IFTTT no longer works because they stopped paying their fee to IFTTT at the start of this month, and they just crippled Home Assistant for the 2nd time in 6 months by changing their api and introducing a rate limiter that kicks in immediately.

Stick with brands that pay their bills and work consistently with other home automation services, like TP-Link.
Member
Mar 7, 2007
224 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
James Stonehenge wrote: Hard to install in a 3 switch gang box?
I have it installed in a 3 switch gang box and it’s not anymore difficult or easier than installing in a single one. The only extra step I had (compared to a single box) was to attach 2 wires instead of one to one of the poles (I think it was neutral) that was connected in a daisy chain originally so I replicated it.
Images
  • 843C1F7C-9C51-4B14-A301-D75D616D7726.jpeg
Newbie
Nov 26, 2003
29 posts
7 upvotes
Port Coquitlam
setlist wrote: For those who are also installing 3-way tp-link switches, just a friendly reminder : it’s undocumented but you can easily just install one, instead of both switches for each 3-way you have. This doubles the value you get out of each pack you buy! I have over a dozen done this way.
Had no idea this was possible! Is it safe (assuming it is installed correctly)? I'm somewhat of a newb when it comes to installing these sorts of devices.
Sr. Member
Apr 10, 2009
691 posts
113 upvotes
Zeypher wrote: Had no idea this was possible! Is it safe (assuming it is installed correctly)? I'm somewhat of a newb when it comes to installing these sorts of devices.
Yes its safe. The app walks you through the install too at the end it asks you whether you're installing it for both switches or just one - so its definitely a supported option too.

Note that neutral wire is always key, sometimes you may only have neutral in one of the boxes so you're forced to install the switch there (not that it matters much with smart switches, other than for looks)

The most annoying part about multiples of these in multiple gang boxes is getting them all lined up since they're much larger than normal switches. Took me a good 10 minutes of adjusting for a 3 gang and had to magic eraser the wall afterwards from all the scuffing.
Member
Jul 31, 2007
223 posts
114 upvotes
The Kasa switch is awesome, the only issue I have is that the app can only program 3 timers active! So beware of buying too many switches if you need all of them to be programmed in the app!

For the record, I was trying to program that each switch shuts off automatically after X minutes but you can't enable more than 3 timers at a time. (Yes I know you can do it through other systems but it's not as fluid as Kasa native app)
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
2753 posts
2763 upvotes
Vancouver
johncraven wrote: The Kasa switch is awesome, the only issue I have is that the app can only program 3 timers active! So beware of buying too many switches if you need all of them to be programmed in the app!

For the record, I was trying to program that each switch shuts off automatically after X minutes but you can't enable more than 3 timers at a time. (Yes I know you can do it through other systems but it's not as fluid as Kasa native app)
I have 5 TP-Link devices in my Kasa app, and I can program as many schedule steps as I need independently for each one. Can you be more specific about where you encountered this limit of 3?
Sr. Member
Jan 12, 2003
568 posts
163 upvotes
519
James Stonehenge wrote: Hard to install in a 3 switch gang box?
I have 2 HS220 in a 3 gang, more time spent making them straight than anything.
2003/4 Logitech Cordless Navigator Duo
2007 - Pepsi - Score Every Hour - XBox 360 Arcade
2007 - KFC Chicken Bowls Contest - $5 Gift Card
2008 - Pepsi - "Win The Play" - 2 NFL Hats
2008 - WD - Crack the Code - TShirt
2009 - Wonder Bread Watch
Sr. Member
Feb 14, 2019
641 posts
576 upvotes
slade wrote: I have 2 HS220 in a 3 gang, more time spent making them straight than anything.
True story. I spend 5 minutes taking out the old switch and installing the new one, then like 30 minutes trying to jam the wires in and get the damn thing straight and flush. Lol
Jr. Member
Nov 19, 2011
115 posts
42 upvotes
Vancouver
I have both wemo and Kasa. Kasa is way better. I’ve had like 10 wemo off lines and 0 Kasa so far.

Bought 4 more to replace my wemo ones. I can’t stand wemo anymore 🤦🏻‍♂️
Newbie
Apr 16, 2020
7 posts
1 upvote
Thanks OP, got BB to adjust their price. I had bought these couple of weeks ago for $25.
Member
Aug 30, 2015
439 posts
430 upvotes
BC
Zeypher wrote: Had no idea this was possible! Is it safe (assuming it is installed correctly)? I'm somewhat of a newb when it comes to installing these sorts of devices.
Yup. The only thing I was never able to achieve is using them where I had a 4-way switch (3 switch locations in the house for the same light), but all my 3-way switches work great!

Top