Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] $19.99 Kasa Smart Light Switch by TP-Link

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 9th, 2020 12:24 am
Apr 26, 2010
226 posts
127 upvotes
Vancouver
i like the kasa ones way better than the wemo ones. My wemo ones would go offline randomly but the kasa ones will stay connected all the time.
Jul 31, 2007
223 posts
114 upvotes
Scote64 wrote: I have 5 TP-Link devices in my Kasa app, and I can program as many schedule steps as I need independently for each one. Can you be more specific about where you encountered this limit of 3?
Q2: How many Smart Actions can I create?

A: Up to 50 Smart Actions can be created under one Kasa account, but only up to 3 can be enabled at the same time.

https://www.tp-link.com/ca/support/faq/2567/
Dec 5, 2004
344 posts
41 upvotes
anyone has disconnect issue with a lot of TP link switch installed?

I have over 25 installed, but often, i see few show red blinks and not reachable from my app.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
4970 posts
4559 upvotes
Colin0317 wrote: Do most modern homes have a neutral wire or should I check before buying?
You have to check.

My house was built in 2008, and many switches has a neutral available, but some don't.
Sep 17, 2019
13 posts
2 upvotes
how do you guys deal with the different brand apps for your switches/outlets? do you just have to deal with it or is there a single app that can control everything without a hub?
Last edited by tomato72 on Jun 23rd, 2020 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
4970 posts
4559 upvotes
AlexS37855 wrote: For people with dozens of the switches, does it clog up the router and cause interruptions/slowdowns/disconnections on other devices?
No. It is an urban legend that 'too many of these types of devices' will bring your network down.
Dec 5, 2004
344 posts
41 upvotes
mine always have few shows red. I have to reset all power with main switch to get them back.

Dont know whats the cause
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
4970 posts
4559 upvotes
Scote64 wrote: However, if you put a monitor on your network traffic, you will see an astonishing amount of traffic as these devices and most other smart home gear "phone home" with a rather unnecessary frequency. That's what makes people wonder if cheaper/older consumer routers might have a problem with so many devices communicating so frequently.
I have a monitor on my network (ntop running a machine connected to a mirrored port on the main link between my APs and the rest of my network), and I just had a look. This is what you describe as 'astonishing amount of traffic':

Screenshot_2020-06-23-19-21-45_2.jpg

3MB used (both ways, 1.94MB down), in 3.2 days.

If you have say, 50, of these devices, that means your WIFI network has to handle 50MB of extra traffic, a day. If you claim your WIFI network can't handle that, well, I won't believe you.
Scote64 wrote: People also wonder if it might not disrupt beam-steering on newer routers that do handle many devices at once. However, there's no evidence to that effect that I know of.
These devices are ALL 2.4GHz. Beam steering is really only useful with high bandwidth clients on the 5GHz band, which the presence of these devices won't affect in any way.
Last edited by repatch on Jun 23rd, 2020 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jan 2, 2014
643 posts
249 upvotes
orb2k wrote: Would be more helpful to elaborate instead of blurting out "false"
All of mine are on a separate network from my Google home's and function without issue.

Your Google Home talks to the cloud app, not direct to the device.

Alternatively you can feed Home Assistant if you run that to your Google Home and it's a bit quicker but the timing is negligible to those in my house aside from me.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
4970 posts
4559 upvotes
tomato72 wrote: how do you guys deal with the different brand apps for your switches/outlets? do you just have to deal with it or is there a single app that can control everything without a hub?
I use whatever app is applicable to get things set up, then I control everything through my SmartThings and Google Home.

Most apps I uninstall after setup.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
2752 posts
2763 upvotes
Vancouver
repatch wrote:
I have a monitor on my network (ntop running a machine connected to a mirrored port on the main link between my APs and the rest of my network), and I just had a look. This is what you describe as 'astonishing amount of traffic':

3MB used (both ways, 1.94MB down), in 3.2 days.

If you have say, 50, of these devices, that means your WIFI network has to handle 50MB of extra traffic, a day. If you claim your WIFI network can't handle that, well, I won't believe you.

These devices are ALL 2.4GHz. Beam steering is really only useful with high bandwidth clients on the 5GHz band, which the presence of these devices won't affect in any way.
In answer to your first question, no that's not what I meant. I already said that the amount of bandwidth used is low. What I meant is that if you are watching the traffic in real time, e.g., with an app like WireShark, you will see a continuous stream of messaging going back and forth between your IoT devices and remote servers when everything in your home is quiet and there are no actions in progress. That kind of makes you wonder if all that traffic is really necessary.

In answer to your second question, one would hope that 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz wouldn't interfere with each other if your router has separate antennas for each band (most do, some don't). And your low-bandwidth IoT devices don't need beam steering to improve their data rate. But that doesn't mean that they can't interfere with the beam steering for high-bandwidth 2.4 GHz clients.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
2752 posts
2763 upvotes
Vancouver
johncraven wrote: Q2: How many Smart Actions can I create?

A: Up to 50 Smart Actions can be created under one Kasa account, but only up to 3 can be enabled at the same time.

https://www.tp-link.com/ca/support/faq/2567/
Ok, so the auto-off timer is counted as a Smart Action, and you can have a max of 3 of those per Kasa account. Interesting. I guess I only have 3 enabled, so I never tried to exceed that limit. The Auto-Off timer was a recent addition to the previously existing schedule functionality for these switches, which does not have such a limit.
Sep 17, 2017
18 posts
10 upvotes
I like kasa better, except WeMo can turn off you switch by timer from the moment you turn it on.
Let say I have one on basement. You turn it on grab your staff and it's automatically turn of in 10 minutes.
Kasa unfortunately doesn't have this feature.
Everything else Kasa better. App response over the internet, better working with IFTTT service etc
Images
  • Screenshot_20200623-195906.jpg
  • Screenshot_20200623-200020.jpg
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
4970 posts
4559 upvotes
Scote64 wrote: In answer to your first question, no that's not what I meant. I already said that the amount of bandwidth used is low. What I meant is that if you are watching the traffic in real time, e.g., with an app like WireShark, you will see a continuous stream of messaging going back and forth between your IoT devices and remote servers when everything in your home is quiet and there are no actions in progress. That kind of makes you wonder if all that traffic is really necessary.

In answer to your second question, one would hope that 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz wouldn't interfere with each other if your router has separate antennas for each band (most do, some don't). And your low-bandwidth IoT devices don't need beam steering to improve their data rate. But that doesn't mean that they can't interfere with the beam steering for high-bandwidth 2.4 GHz clients.
1MB/day of total bandwidth, per device.

Assuming a packet size of say, 100 bytes (doing some wiresharking I see most packets are bigger than that, but I'll play devil's advocate here), that's:

10,000 packets/day/device

To get to per minute: 10,000 pkts/day / (1,440 minutes/day) ~= 7 packets/minute

Say 50 devices? 50 * 7 = 350 pkts/min / (60 sec/min) ~= 6 packets per second

So, that's the math. 50 of these devices on your network, and you average 6 pkts/sec extra traffic. If THAT is harming your network, well, again, I won't believe you.

Note at no point do I make any claim on whether it's 'necessary' for them to be phoning home 'so much'; bringing that up approaches strawman territory. I'm simply talking about whether ANY user would notice ANY difference to their WIFI performance because of the presence of 50 of these devices. 'all that traffic' as you say amounts to 50MB/day. In the days of 33.6k modems that would be a concern. 50Mbps+ internet connections? Nah.

As for beam steering, sure, ya, you MIGHT be able to measure SOME difference in performance. But that would only apply if you lived in the middle of nowhere with NOBODY nearby.

In the real world, the 2.4GHz band is massively oversaturated. Pulling any real performance out of that band for most users is futile. That's why 5GHz (and soon 6GHz) WIFI exists: put your slow stuff on 2.4GHz, and put your high performance stuff on 5GHz.

So yes, I admit, a TON of IOT devices on your 2.4GHz network technically MIGHT affect your 2.4GHz beam steering performance, technically. Real life? Nah.