Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] $19.99 Kasa Smart Light Switch by TP-Link

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 9th, 2020 12:24 am
May 17, 2007
484 posts
127 upvotes
Toronto
the11thdoctor wrote: All of mine are on a separate network from my Google home's and function without issue.

Your Google Home talks to the cloud app, not direct to the device.

Alternatively you can feed Home Assistant if you run that to your Google Home and it's a bit quicker but the timing is negligible to those in my house aside from me.

Interesting, I might switch all my smart devices on the "Guest" network and leave my G Home on my regular network.
How about your security, security camera? Ring? Nest? etc?
Jan 2, 2014
643 posts
248 upvotes
orb2k wrote: Interesting, I might switch all my smart devices on the "Guest" network and leave my G Home on my regular network.
How about your security, security camera? Ring? Nest? etc?
I have all on flashed firmwares so they are all now IP rtsp on their own vlans
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
17697 posts
4986 upvotes
Do ANY of these work with 2 wire systems? Old house, no 3rd wire. Have bulbs and plugins all over the house. Osram/Sylvania, Philips, TP Link, etc. All work fine with Google Home for months...
Nov 28, 2007
138 posts
146 upvotes
Toronto
DougO wrote: Do ANY of these work with 2 wire systems? Old house, no 3rd wire. Have bulbs and plugins all over the house. Osram/Sylvania, Philips, TP Link, etc. All work fine with Google Home for months...
No. The most popular smart switch which does not require a neutral for low-wattage bulbs (e.g. LED) is the Lutron Caseta. The switches cost more, but still cheaper than getting an electrician to run a neutral for you.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
2751 posts
2763 upvotes
Vancouver
doraemon wrote: No. The most popular smart switch which does not require a neutral for low-wattage bulbs (e.g. LED) is the Lutron Caseta. The switches cost more, but still cheaper than getting an electrician to run a neutral for you.
Lutron Caseta manages to work without a neutral by using 2 tricks:

1. They draw a trickle of power through the lighting circuit all the time, just not quite enough for you to notice any light.

2. They use their own low-power communication protocol for which you must buy their hub.

That helps to make them expensive.
Last edited by Scote64 on Jul 1st, 2020 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 21, 2010
143 posts
32 upvotes
Ontario
Anyone know if I can use these to control the bathroom fan switches? I like that I can program it to “turn off after x time”.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
4970 posts
4559 upvotes
gdotdot wrote: Anyone know if I can use these to control the bathroom fan switches? I like that I can program it to “turn off after x time”.
Absolutely
May 17, 2007
484 posts
127 upvotes
Toronto
gdotdot wrote: Anyone know if I can use these to control the bathroom fan switches? I like that I can program it to “turn off after x time”.
I tried with the TP Link, i wasn't able to get it to shutdown after 1hr every time. The WeMo has a built-in function timer. I got that for my bathroom instead.
Feb 14, 2019
641 posts
576 upvotes
You can from the app, but not if you manually turn on the fan. So for example, if you turn it on in the app you can set the timer for X mins. But if you press the switch, there is no option to automatically power off again after X minutes.
Apr 21, 2010
143 posts
32 upvotes
Ontario
Majokito wrote: You can from the app, but not if you manually turn on the fan. So for example, if you turn it on in the app you can set the timer for X mins. But if you press the switch, there is no option to automatically power off again after X minutes.
orb2k wrote: I tried with the TP Link, i wasn't able to get it to shutdown after 1hr every time. The WeMo has a built-in function timer. I got that for my bathroom instead.
Thank you! Good to know but that’s a bummer, was hoping I can set it to turn off after one hour the fans are on. Will look into WeMo but hoping to minimize number of manufacture I’m using.
Feb 14, 2019
641 posts
576 upvotes
gdotdot wrote: Thank you! Good to know but that’s a bummer, was hoping I can set it to turn off after one hour the fans are on. Will look into WeMo but hoping to minimize number of manufacture I’m using.
I just bought a regular timer switch for my bathroom fans. Has 5/10/15/30 minute timer buttons and you just push the one you want. Why bother dealing with a smart switch? Don't think I've ever wanted to turn my fan on remotely before like I would with a light switch.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2004
4499 posts
1035 upvotes
Wat
Majokito wrote: You can from the app, but not if you manually turn on the fan. So for example, if you turn it on in the app you can set the timer for X mins. But if you press the switch, there is no option to automatically power off again after X minutes.
I use a tp link switch for my bathroom fan. There is an option for auto off after x minutes in my app. It works when you manually switch it on too.
Feb 14, 2019
641 posts
576 upvotes
Wiseman wrote: I use a tp link switch for my bathroom fan. There is an option for auto off after x minutes in my app. It works when you manually switch it on too.
Oh really? I always assumed it was only if you initiated the timer from the app as it starts counting down right away. How do you program it so it powers off after being on for X minutes without starting the timer from the app each time?
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
2751 posts
2763 upvotes
Vancouver
Majokito wrote: Oh really? I always assumed it was only if you initiated the timer from the app as it starts counting down right away. How do you program it so it powers off after being on for X minutes without starting the timer from the app each time?
That's the way it works, always auto-off after X minutes regardless of how you turn it on. Apparently it's not programmed into the switch firmware like the regular schedule though, the auto-off is done by the Kasa servers.