[Amazon.ca] 1917 movie (4k) - $17.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 15th, 2021 3:37 pm
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5021 posts
1382 upvotes
Toronto
audit13 wrote: It may come to Netflix but it probably won't be 4k, only 5.1.
Yeah frankly even Netflix isn't great for 4K content. Most of the big blockbuster and good movies not available in 4K. Yet you get 4K for crappy standup comedies or freaking Adam Sandler movies again and again.
audit13 wrote: Redeems to Google in HD even though the code is from a 4k disc. You need to get the USA 4k disc and redeem the code to Movies Anywhere or Vudu to get the 4k HDR digital stream.
Too bad, pretty annoyed with Google Play movies as well. My first 4K TV, a Samsung 8000 Series from either 2017 or 2016, Google Play won't stream 4K on it at all even when I paid for 4K movie... total BS.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2264 posts
1399 upvotes
bobbings wrote: RFD has a mixed review of the movie. Hmm... should I get?
One of the best movies I’ve seen in a while.

Edit: Also from a technical standpoint, using various tricks to make it look like one long continuous shot, following the events as they unfold is just amazing.
Aug 19, 2013
109 posts
164 upvotes
Toronto
unshavenyak wrote: Streaming was supposed to set us free. Now you need like 4+ services to cover everything and it's lower bitrate and quality than a good 1080p blu-ray master in most cases. Sigh.
Was supposed to but then the greedy companies got into it and now it turned into the modern day TV package. However instead of telecom companies, we are paying the big dogs directly. I wonder how telecom companies will try to have a slice of the pie back. They will not let their revenue stream disappear.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
16954 posts
3171 upvotes
Toronto
boyohboy wrote: Too bad, pretty annoyed with Google Play movies as well. My first 4K TV, a Samsung 8000 Series from either 2017 or 2016, Google Play won't stream 4K on it at all even when I paid for 4K movie... total BS.
Does the TV's Google Movies app support 4k HDR? I have an LG from 2017 and it plays any 4k HDR movie I have in my Google library in 4k HDR.

Are these movies you bought directly from Google or from a code you redeemed? Google code redemptions will always give HD except for one movie I know of which is Gretel & Hansel which gave 4k when I redeemed the code.

I buy my Sony and Universal 4k discs from the USA so I can watch it digitally in 4k.
Last edited by audit13 on Jan 13th, 2021 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
2588 posts
418 upvotes
darkstar107 wrote: I need to rewatch this movie. I was told ahead of time about it being filmed like it's one really long shot so I spent the entire time looking for transitions and didn't really pay attention to the movie.
i didn't know it was shot that way until I watched the movie, I was really impressed the way it was filmed.
Banned
Jan 12, 2021
7 posts
6 upvotes
How do you watch a 4K movie? A blueray player will play it? xbox x? ps5?
Sep 8, 2006
885 posts
543 upvotes
Edmonton
TooMiiiKaHh wrote: Was supposed to but then the greedy companies got into it and now it turned into the modern day TV package. However instead of telecom companies, we are paying the big dogs directly. I wonder how telecom companies will try to have a slice of the pie back. They will not let their revenue stream disappear.
Price of internet keeps increasing
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2015
1065 posts
555 upvotes
Toronto, ON
zapimapi wrote: How do you watch a 4K movie? A blueray player will play it? xbox x? ps5?
You need a 4k UHD Blu Ray player (regular Blu ray won't play it), Xbox one S or X, Xbox Series X or PS5 (which seems to handle UHD blu ray noticeably worse than the Xbox).

Edit: for any pedantic folk out there, yes, PS5 needs to be the disc version (obviously)
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
4782 posts
1980 upvotes
Ancaster
georgep wrote: You need a 4k UHD Blu Ray player (regular Blu ray won't play it), Xbox one S or X, Xbox Series X or PS5 (which seems to handle UHD blu ray noticeably worse than the Xbox).

Edit: for any pedantic folk out there, yes, PS5 needs to be the disc version (obviously)
All three of the consoles are actually not so great. They do not support Dolby Vision or HDR+ when playing blu-ray discs and their tone mapping is off. If you are serious about experiencing the best that 4k HDR movies has to offer, just get a dedicated UHD blu-ray player.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5021 posts
1382 upvotes
Toronto
audit13 wrote: Does the TV's Google Movies app support 4k HDR? I have an LG from 2017 and it plays any 4k HDR movie I have in my Google library in 4k HDR.

Are these movies you bought directly from Google or from a code you redeemed? Google code redemptions will always give HD except for one movie I know of which is Gretel & Hansel which gave 4k when I redeemed the code.

I buy my Sony and Universal 4k discs from the USA so I can watch it digitally in 4k.
Bought directly from Google Play/Movie. Issue was simply Google decided to not support 4K on that 2016/17 TV model, at least at that time (around 2018). It's just sad, not like a no-name brand. Samsung, mid-range, 4K HDR TV... but couldn't stream 4K! Still watched the movie, but later I complained to Google and got refund. Have not bought any movie via Google since.
Nov 7, 2017
314 posts
153 upvotes
After watching this movie, still good but hopefully will drop further, Hacksaw Ridge is still fhe best for me and i owned it, $12.99 right now for 4K. I enjoyed Midway too but waiting for it to drop further.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2008
1386 posts
1347 upvotes
GTA
I’m sure it’s a great price so thanks for the post OP but seriously, who still buys movies.....?
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
16954 posts
3171 upvotes
Toronto
boyohboy wrote: Bought directly from Google Play/Movie. Issue was simply Google decided to not support 4K on that 2016/17 TV model, at least at that time (around 2018). It's just sad, not like a no-name brand. Samsung, mid-range, 4K HDR TV... but couldn't stream 4K! Still watched the movie, but later I complained to Google and got refund. Have not bought any movie via Google since.
That's a shame. Hopefully, the new Google Chromecast will support 4k HDR playback from the Google Movies app.

I prefer to redeeming codes to Movies Anywhere or iTunes when possible to get the best possible streaming quality.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
16954 posts
3171 upvotes
Toronto
Slono wrote: I’m sure it’s a great price so thanks for the post OP but seriously, who still buys movies.....?
I would think that people who want the absolute best sound and video quality would choose physical media.
Last edited by audit13 on Jan 13th, 2021 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 18, 2007
747 posts
918 upvotes
Vancouver
Duuuuude wrote: Great movie if you enjoy war movies. And even better if you have a decent home theater setup, especially Dolby Atmos. The movie was well reviewed by many outlets and audio and video quality is 5 stars across the board.
The only quality missing was the actual movie quality.

Great technical showpiece but the story itself was boring. Won't even rank.

This is like the type of movie that regular joe schmoe like me hate and gets 9.0 stars on IMDB
Feb 18, 2007
747 posts
918 upvotes
Vancouver
Slono wrote: I’m sure it’s a great price so thanks for the post OP but seriously, who still buys movies.....?
I only buy blurays if I *REALLY* like the movie, like it's my top 3, top 5 of all time. You really still can't stream movies online at the same quality you'd get off a bluray for example
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2004
9469 posts
2044 upvotes
Montreal
djemzine wrote: Any signs of this coming to Amazon Prime or Netflix in 5.1 / 4K?
Paramount does license movies to Netflix Canada :) Even after that spat with Star Trek Discovery, there are Paramount movies added every now and then.
Jun 12, 2006
216 posts
110 upvotes
Hamilton
georgep wrote: You need a 4k UHD Blu Ray player...
You also need a 4K television. Remember: you're replying to someone who just asked how to watch a 4K bluray. This is not a technologically-inclined person.
"He took it all too far, but boy could he play guitar"
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2006
1130 posts
303 upvotes
kyleashton wrote: Great price for a great movie...
It's on Crave. Free trial signup gives you 7 days. If it's that's great sign up and watch 1917 for 7 days, once a day. Maybe twice if you want. Free is better than $17.99. Buy dinner for $17.99 then you have dinner and a movie for $17.99
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
41850 posts
6588 upvotes
yuprules wrote: Paramount does license movies to Netflix Canada :) Even after that spat with Star Trek Discovery, there are Paramount movies added every now and then.
Wunderbar. Thanks for confirming.
Proud to be an Indian.