Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] 1TB SP A58 3D NAND SATA III 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - $119

[OP]
Banned
Aug 9, 2019
52 posts
221 upvotes
Montreal

[Amazon.ca] 1TB SP A58 3D NAND SATA III 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - $119

Amazon has dropped the price for the SP A58 3D NAND SATA III 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive. Now $119 for 1TB

Looks like a good deal for an SSD with 3 year warranty.
Last edited by Karinn on Nov 6th, 2019 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
19 replies
Banned
Oct 27, 2019
67 posts
12 upvotes
Easy Install as usual but be gentle with these devices they are delicate.
Newbie
Jan 25, 2010
93 posts
117 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Think this is worth it for a PS4 or am I better off with SSHD?
Member
Jan 13, 2012
233 posts
258 upvotes
Vancouver
robotfood wrote: Think this is worth it for a PS4 or am I better off with SSHD?
This is an SSHD? I swapped out the stock HD for a SSHD that I picked up off of eBay just for kicks and was amazed how much smoother the experience became. It's also a super easy process, just be sure to download the correct update file off the playstation site (there are two, and stupid me kept trying with the smaller update instead of the complete install).
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
3043 posts
613 upvotes
Toronto
chris5555 wrote: This is an SSHD? I swapped out the stock HD for a SSHD that I picked up off of eBay just for kicks and was amazed how much smoother the experience became. It's also a super easy process, just be sure to download the correct update file off the playstation site (there are two, and stupid me kept trying with the smaller update instead of the complete install).
No, it's a pure SSD. Old, and likely slow. But it seems like a good price for a 1G SSD. 1T is large for an SSD.

If you are considering this, do some research. I bet that it is reasonably fast until you fill up its simulated SLC cache. That means: if you do a burst of writes, after (perhaps -- I'm making this number up) 200MB, it starts to get very slow. But most folks never do large bursts.

If you are currently using an HDD, this should make your system a lot more responsive. You can never go back.

I don't have any idea what's needed for a PS4 or how it uses a disk. Surely someone on the internet has talked about this.
Last edited by Hugh on Nov 5th, 2019 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2011
1088 posts
294 upvotes
MARKHAM
namsrv wrote: Easy Install as usual but be gentle with these devices they are delicate.
How are they delicate? Its a PCB board covered in an metal cover, as long as you don't crush it nothing will happen to it.
If it fries its because its exposed to, too hot temperatures. SSDs fail most of the time because of heat and improper cooling.
Member
Oct 31, 2013
465 posts
196 upvotes
Toronto
DRAMless?
-Throw me a stone and I will build castle-
Jr. Member
Jul 23, 2011
168 posts
1 upvote
NL, Canada
psxcheater wrote: DRAMless?
I believe this drive does have DRAM and actually isn't that slow. At $119, it's a pretty decent price. That said, the Crucial P1 1TB NVME SSD is usually around $130 days, which is also pretty good value!
Member
Oct 31, 2013
465 posts
196 upvotes
Toronto
RockCrayfish wrote: I believe this drive does have DRAM and actually isn't that slow. At $119, it's a pretty decent price. That said, the Crucial P1 1TB NVME SSD is usually around $130 days, which is also pretty good value!
Thanks bro!
-Throw me a stone and I will build castle-
Deal Addict
May 21, 2004
2113 posts
1124 upvotes
GTA
Hugh wrote: No, it's a pure SSD. Old, and likely slow. But it seems like a good price for a 1G SSD. 1G is large for an SSD.

If you are considering this, do some research. I bet that it is reasonably fast until you fill up its simulated SLC cache. That means: if you do a burst of writes, after (perhaps -- I'm making this number up) 200MB, it starts to get very slow. But most folks never do large bursts.

If you are currently using an HDD, this should make your system a lot more responsive. You can never go back.

I don't have any idea what's needed for a PS4 or how it uses a disk. Surely someone on the internet has talked about this.
No, that's extremely small.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
3043 posts
613 upvotes
Toronto
Britex wrote: No, that's extremely small.
Yeah, 1T, not 1G. I do that in the real world too.

The first HDD I bought was 10M (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ST506/ST412) in 1982. Drive capacities have continued to grow until fairly recently. Much to my delight and, apparently, confusion.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 10, 2011
3738 posts
4834 upvotes
Montreal
psxcheater wrote: DRAMless?
RockCrayfish wrote: I believe this drive does have DRAM and actually isn't that slow. (...)

I believe it's DRAMless but it uses part of the NANDs for pseudo SLC cache which helps to not suck as much as regular DRAMless SSDs.

Source

Source
Last edited by Temporel on Nov 5th, 2019 11:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jr. Member
Feb 12, 2017
117 posts
81 upvotes
Hugh wrote: Yeah, 1T, not 1G. I do that in the real world too.

The first HDD I bought was 10M (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ST506/ST412) in 1982. Drive capacities have continued to grow until fairly recently. Much to my delight and, apparently, confusion.

wow, you must be rich back in 1982.
I remember 10MB Hdd costs about $2000-3000 per at that time.
I was in grade 13 then...( I was being paid $2.50/hr at my part time job)


.

Top