• Last Updated:
  • Aug 17th, 2021 10:54 am
[OP]
Nov 21, 2011
414 posts
427 upvotes
Markham

[Amazon.ca] 23andMe Health & Ancestry Kit - $124

The 23andme health & ancestry kit is currently $124 on Amazon.ca (deal of the day). Regular price is $239. Ends August 17 at 3 AM ET.

Lowest price since June 2020 / all-time low per CCC (they only have ~1 year of data).
19 replies
Apr 20, 2017
273 posts
380 upvotes
Montreal
I feel this was cheaper in the past.
Also, I wonder, would there be a way to do this anonymously?

And lastly, Marketplace did it for twins and it doesn’t look promising.

most things haven't worked out
May 9, 2020
369 posts
1088 upvotes
PSA: They get the rights to your data and can store it in perpetuity.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23243 posts
4680 upvotes
Niagara Falls
contva wrote: I feel this was cheaper in the past.
Also, I wonder, would there be a way to do this anonymously?

And lastly, Marketplace did it for twins and it doesn’t look promising.
My friend did it with a fake name and used a post office. Not sure if that's still possible, but it might not matter much if anyone in your family tree has done it.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2019/11 ... hat-s-next
[OP]
Nov 21, 2011
414 posts
427 upvotes
Markham
contva wrote: I feel this was cheaper in the past.
Fakespot seems to have a bit more history, lowest is still $124.
Screenshot 2021-08-16 191615.png
contva wrote: Also, I wonder, would there be a way to do this anonymously?
Maybe it's possible to sign up with a fake name?
Oct 22, 2011
261 posts
358 upvotes
Stagaz630 wrote: Fakespot seems to have a bit more history, lowest is still $124.

Screenshot 2021-08-16 191615.png

Maybe it's possible to sign up with a fake name?
It is. I used a fake name for mine
Apr 4, 2021
195 posts
391 upvotes
Victoria, BC
contva wrote: Also, I wonder, would there be a way to do this anonymously?
i never really thought of this but they don't ask for ID so maybe you could just use a fake name when you send them your saliva? buy an amazon gift card with cash and send to a friend's address if you want to hide your identity a bit more?
Dec 28, 2019
146 posts
79 upvotes
It doesn't matter if you put a fake name on. They collected your data and stored it in their database already. Maybe they don't even give a shit to your actual name. You give them your DNA and pay them to give you a pseudoscience report, store, mine and sell your data. It is always a deal for THEM!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2004
6795 posts
8425 upvotes
74629315 downvotes
They would happily give this away for free, and maybe even pay YOU for your data. That's how valuable it is to them. The only reason they don't give it away for free is because then people would be suspicious. So not only do they get your data forever but they also made YOU pay for it! Most genius business ever.

Mar 26, 2013
242 posts
178 upvotes
Twin Peaks
Remember, racism is bad, unless it involves DNA harvesting, then its ok, did I get it right?
Nov 15, 2019
263 posts
367 upvotes
What types of sinister activities are they going to do with my DNA? Who is buying the information and for what purpose?
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2010
1669 posts
4870 upvotes
Montreal
HuoShing wrote: Remember, racism is bad, unless it involves DNA harvesting, then its ok, did I get it right?
Racism is indeed bad, however feels like nowadays people think racism is good provided it's advantageous to minorities.
From things like quotas on minority hires and even charging attendees to a public event...
https://nypost.com/2021/06/22/white-peo ... tle-pride/
Oct 31, 2014
130 posts
178 upvotes
Toronto, ON
eyesman wrote: you get the results then what? lol
I've had 23andme for a couple of years now. The answer is "not much" - this isn't a service that you should expect to provide ongoing content that you'll come back to on a regular basis.

On the day you get your results (which takes a few weeks), you'll have your ancestry composition report to read, which is the big thing. You'll get a bunch of miscellaneous reports about your genetic predisposition toward various traits (like dimples, or propensity to sunburn). And of course you'll get your health reports, though it's unlikely (albeit possible!) that you'll get any big revelations from that.

The ongoing value for me comes from the 'DNA relatives' feature which shows you profiles of people you are related to. My family going back 3-4 generations was scattered by migrations and a genocide so there are some question marks in my family tree that 23andme has helped to fill in.

That said each DNA kit has its priorities and my understanding is that 23andme's priority is not the family tree aspect, and the features are a little thin. I expect Ancestry and FamilyTreeDNA are stronger in that respect though (1) I haven't tried them and (2) the usefulness for family finding depends on how many people are in the database, so a more popular kit has a higher chance of finding your relatives. 23andme's priority is the health stuff.

Overall I think it's a good value at $124.
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2011
4318 posts
1700 upvotes
Cronos647 wrote: PSA: They get the rights to your data and can store it in perpetuity.
Damn, that will affect my life in so many ways! Crying Face
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23243 posts
4680 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Joedest wrote: What types of sinister activities are they going to do with my DNA? Who is buying the information and for what purpose?
Unless you're a criminal, I'm not sure what types of sinister activities would happen with your DNA data. I have no issues with these test and think they're actually pretty cool, but people should be aware that you're paying a company to make profit off of you. It looks like 23andMe has options for you to opt into / out off data sharing, not positive how good those options are though.

As long as you're comfortable paying someone to receive cool results but then also make money off your data by selling it to other people, go for it.

I actually think a lot of good could come from a massive DNA data, but I do understand that some people hold their privacy in higher regards than I do.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
9193 posts
5047 upvotes
Cronos647 wrote: PSA: They get the rights to your data and can store it in perpetuity.
I am so glad you highlighted this and that many RFD'ers see your point.

I was always a bit skeptical of the marketing on this from the very beginning.

Our DNA is really our most private information.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)