• Last Updated:
  • Nov 11th, 2019 2:39 pm
[OP]
Aug 8, 2010
61 posts
18 upvotes
Ottawa

[Amazon.ca] 23andMe Health + Ancestry Service $124.00

First time poster here. Just happen to see that 23andMe Health + Ancestry Service is now priced at an all time low, a few dollars better than last year's black friday and prime day prices.

Personal Genetic DNA Test Including Health Predispositions, Carrier Status, Wellness, and Trait Reports included

For those who have tried this service, is it worth it at this price?
8 replies
Aug 21, 2018
65 posts
112 upvotes
This price matches the price that Amazon had on prime day. Pretty good deal if you were going to pick up a 23andMe anyways
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
4967 posts
7018 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/dna- ... -1.4980976
Why so different?
There are a variety of factors that can affect the accuracy of results from an ancestry company, Gravel says, but of particular importance is the size and quality of its reference panel. The larger and more representative it is, the more accurate the results, he says.

"If you have fewer people that you can compare to, then you make more shortcuts," he said.

"You also run more of a risk of having missed diversity that you might not know existed in one particular region."

Another reason for discrepancies in the results from different companies is the arbitrary way each company defines the world's regions, Gravel says.

"They kind of need to take a pencil more or less and say, 'That's a region.' And different companies draw different circles."
Mar 13, 2006
403 posts
228 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Poutinesauce wrote: I don't understand why DNA services aren't banned from RFD completely, it's incredibly dangerous. Have fun having your DNA leaked and paying tripled insurance premiums later in life.
Was tempted to get it, till I read your comment... XD
<3
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
4967 posts
7018 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
MrFrugal1 wrote: Great tool for catching your murderous relatives.
Golden State Killer
This is pretty cool, but I'd hate for this DNA information to become part of the state surveillance apparatus. I don't trust the government with this information, at all.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)