Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] 25% on select BLU Unlocked Phones ($109.99 - BLU Life Max / $194.99 - BLU VIVO 5R)

  • Last Updated:
  • Mar 16th, 2017 4:10 am
[OP]
Jr. Member
Feb 17, 2017
171 posts
219 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] 25% on select BLU Unlocked Phones ($109.99 - BLU Life Max / $194.99 - BLU VIVO 5R)

Looks like today's deal of the day is 25% on below two BLU phones. They look to be good cheap dual sim phones.
Anyone know if these work with FreedomPop?

$109.99 - BLU Life Max, 5.5" 4G LTE Unlocked Smartphone, 16GB Plus 2GB RAM with Fingerprint Sensor, Blue
https://www.amazon.ca/o/ASIN/B01N1OZM2J ... NYUNMZE618

$194.99 - BLU VIVO 5R Smartphone-5.5" 4G LTE GSM Unlocked, Grey/Gold
http://www.amazon.ca/o/ASIN/B01J88GCRY/ ... EA4M71SX67
Amazon Prime member since 2017
18 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2006
1136 posts
575 upvotes
Good price but only buy if need a phone for a year. build quality and quality control is horrid with blu..
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2007
1095 posts
581 upvotes
moncton
I got a BLU free from speakout a few years back. The bad news is it bricked for no apparent reason, and because of the obscurity of the BLU brand there aren't a lot of developers working on custom roms and such, so I haven't been able to unbrick it (though I haven't tried super hard because the phone is a piece of crap).

Edit: I forgot to add that while reading a Speakout thread I realized I wasn't the only that had this issue with my BLU phone, it seemed like most had theirs brick. I don't recall seeing a single response saying they liked the phone, or it was still functional and in use.
Sr. Member
Feb 28, 2015
577 posts
405 upvotes
Toronto, ON
bryceton wrote: Good price but only buy if need a phone for a year. build quality and quality control is horrid with blu..
I've had my life one x for 2 years now with a $5 case on it. I've never had one problem with it, battery lasts all day, I work construction and have dropped it a thousand times, and I don't even have a scratch on the screen. Not to mention I only paid $99!
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 19, 2003
1115 posts
307 upvotes
Toronto
I got one as an emergency backup phone while on vacation.
Good: Dual sim, Marshmallow, decent sized screen, MicroSD card
Bad: Low-res screen (only 720p), iffy support, small RAM (1gig)
Member
May 1, 2007
320 posts
49 upvotes
I got one of the free BLU Advance 4.0 from Speakout last year. The battery only lasted a few months, and now it won't even boot up. That VIVO 5R looks pretty decent though.
Sr. Member
Jun 12, 2016
638 posts
275 upvotes
Mississauga
I've had my Vivo 5 for almost a year now and I am happy with it. So far, I haven't had any issue with build quality even after many accidental drops with just the factory supplied case. It took forever for Marshmellow upgrade, so if you expect timely system updates, skip this brand. Performance has been satisfactory even with many apps loaded.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2011
2593 posts
1185 upvotes
GTA
My girlfriend purchased a Blu windows phone directly from a Microsoft Store with extended warranty approx. two years ago. It was replaced twice under warranty. The next time it acted up they recommended replacing it with a different brand of phone and told her they were experiencing a high number of problems and returns...
Have a Question? Don't be afraid to ask.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2006
1136 posts
575 upvotes
skoalman123 wrote: I've had my life one x for 2 years now with a $5 case on it. I've never had one problem with it, battery lasts all day, I work construction and have dropped it a thousand times, and I don't even have a scratch on the screen. Not to mention I only paid $99!
many blu life one x face defective power buttons,
which typically fall off,
one x also faces random slowdowns not sure if fixed by updates now
For Blu vivo xl, they face two issues
main issue is the charging port, huge failure rate, typically charger will still work but wont lock in = if wire moves at all wont charge. though for some wont charge at all this typically breaks within first few months for many.
Bad casing that breaks easy is also common



on the plus side warranty is available by mailing to us so may have one benefit over most chinese phones
[OP]
Jr. Member
Feb 17, 2017
171 posts
219 upvotes
Anyone know if it works with freedompop?
Amazon Prime member since 2017
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2008
1663 posts
556 upvotes
Previous phone was a BLU life one X. I now have a ZTE Axon, and it's a much better phone. Better battery life and charge time. Much better glass. Check it the Axon thread is your in bed of a good value phone.
Member
User avatar
Feb 21, 2008
294 posts
91 upvotes
I have been using a BLU phone for about a month and half now... I hate it.

I have been having software issues.

Apps lose permissions constantly and constinually re-ask for the same permission.
My status bar clock gets stuck sometimes and then my alarms don't go off (this is the most annoying).
I have something called PreInstalled Data2 that is eating most of my cellular data; even when I have restricted it's background data, it comes back on every few days on it's own.

Sadly, I am going to retire this phone in the next week or so and never consider the BLU brand again.
[OP]
Jr. Member
Feb 17, 2017
171 posts
219 upvotes
Eniac360 wrote: I have been using a BLU phone for about a month and half now... I hate it.

I have been having software issues.

Apps lose permissions constantly and constinually re-ask for the same permission.
My status bar clock gets stuck sometimes and then my alarms don't go off (this is the most annoying).
I have something called PreInstalled Data2 that is eating most of my cellular data; even when I have restricted it's background data, it comes back on every few days on it's own.

Sadly, I am going to retire this phone in the next week or so and never consider the BLU brand again.
Which BLU phone did you have? Are you a freedomPop member by chance? I am still waiting to find out if BLU phones work with that specific provider.
Amazon Prime member since 2017
Member
User avatar
Feb 21, 2008
294 posts
91 upvotes
I bought the BLU R1 HD a while back in early January. It was 20% so i got it for $120. Going to try to sell it on Kijiji for $80 to $100 with a case and extra tempered glass screen protectors.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Nov 26, 2003
581 posts
438 upvotes
GTA
bvit6667 wrote: My girlfriend purchased a Blu windows phone directly from a Microsoft Store with extended warranty approx. two years ago. It was replaced twice under warranty. The next time it acted up they recommended replacing it with a different brand of phone and told her they were experiencing a high number of problems and returns...
I believe the Blu Android phones are rebranded Chinese Gionee phones and are in no way related to the Blu Windows phones.
Member
Sep 17, 2016
309 posts
110 upvotes
Just got mine yesterday. There​ "damaged" warehouse deal turned out to be a slightly scratched box with a brand new phone inside.

I've owned Samsung S7s, Edges, LGs, Note 5s, iPhones and I have to say this phone felt better in my hand the moment I turned it on.

And after turning it on, it kept impressing me. Very fast and responsive, even after loading all my apps. On a bit of a side note, in the settings, it has a potentially really useful option for giving oneself a fake call. Might come in handy some days for having an out of a sticky situation.

The camera app is very impressive as well, however the photos are a lot fuzzier and darker than what they look like on screen.

On the minus side, the dual Sims work but only if the default is kept at having all 3 options, data, voice and text on the 1st sim. I noticed this after I tried switching the default for data to the 2nd sim, and the 1st sim refused to make any calls anymore.

Another thing is to remember to peel off the plastic sticker on the back. I was almost getting ready to return the phone because the ringing and speakerphone volumes were way too low, until I read a comment on a YouTube video from someone that ran into the same problem. Well, actually a few comments, so at least I'm not the only one ... The problem turned out to be a very thin plastic sticker on top of the speaker on the back of the phone.

And now, with the speaker and loudspeaker volume back to normal levels, this is one amazing phone, especially considering the $170CAD price tag

Top