507 posts
736 upvotes
RFD

[Amazon.ca] 29.99 - Fiskars FIS3755011001 Hatchet with Sheath, 14", Black

Free Prime Shipping.

Also same price at Canadian Tire.

Back-ordered. Due in stock March 4.

Ideal for chopping kindling and Small-to medium-sized logs
Proprietary blade-grinding technique provides a sharper edge for better contact and cleaner cuts
Low-friction blade coating powers through wood and prevents head from getting Stuck
Molded head will not loosen and prevents overstrike breakage
Shock-absorbing Dura frame handle is lightweight yet stronger than Steel to prevent overstrike damage
12 replies
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
1236 posts
1437 upvotes
Vancouver
It does go down to $30 regularly. Good blade, niche product, too heavy to hike with, too light to process anything larger than dried, pre-split cords into kindling. Useful around a campsite if you're car camping, but invest in the companion axe (x17) as well if you need to split anything green or wet.
Nov 23, 2014
361 posts
249 upvotes
Kelowna, BC
excellent hatchet, got it a few years ago on sale at CT for mid 20s IIRC. Still sharp after lots of ab(use)
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2015
2274 posts
2106 upvotes
Alberta
I have the same hatchet. I pack it in my backpack when out on my race quad.
Banned
Mar 11, 2016
2081 posts
836 upvotes
use it on my atv for clearing small trees/brush ...super sharp will go through a 3 inch tree like butter..I also have a decent quality portable camping saw and I don't even use it anymore on small trees as it takes so long compared to this hatchet
Jul 24, 2006
300 posts
36 upvotes
London
And, just disappeared from my cart.. I think it is now OOS. Grrrrrr.
Jun 2, 2015
33 posts
42 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
I literally just bought this 2 hours ago at Canadian tire for this price. Tried it out. It’s sharp!! It’s on sale $10 off.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2008
3418 posts
1168 upvotes
BC
mikebc wrote: invest in the companion axe (x17) as well if you need to split anything green or wet.
If you could only recommend a single tool for camping (provincial parks etc - no backwoods), the Friskars x17 is the one?
Jul 2, 2005
343 posts
74 upvotes
Mississauga
X25 if you want splitting axe.
If you got the $$$ get the Gransfors Bruks small forest
Feegus wrote: If you could only recommend a single tool for camping (provincial parks etc - no backwoods), the Friskars x17 is the one?
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
1236 posts
1437 upvotes
Vancouver
Feegus wrote: If you could only recommend a single tool for camping (provincial parks etc - no backwoods), the Friskars x17 is the one?
No, I'd get something with a wooden handle or single piece steel and some weight behind it. 16-20" is a good length though, 2-3 lb. is a good median weight. If a fiberglass handle snaps then the axe is garbage, but you can easily replace a wooden handle.

The linked one above is ~1.5 lb. and fiberglass-like. It's in that grey area where you need to put a lot of strength into a swing to get a result but it's still too heavy to be included on a longer hike. You can get knives which have more utility but can process kindling just as effectively.

Husqvarna makes a good hatchet (a bit short, but chops very easily) and Estwing is just a solid brand all around.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2004
4639 posts
711 upvotes
I have one of these for car camping. It sucks for chopping the firewood.

It's good around the house for chopping 1" branches though.
"I live my life a quarter-mile at a time, for those 10 seconds or less... i'm free."

11 Never Summer Heritage, 08 Rome Targa
08 Nitro Eero Ettala 155, 07 Rome 390
07 Capita Outdoor Living 154
Cervelo Soloist Carbon Ultegra
Mar 12, 2012
439 posts
303 upvotes
Belleville
I have the x11, recommended by a really outdoorsy friend. For context I am not particularly skilled with an axe,nor an I a strong guy.

I'm the past I've had all manners of hatchets, axes and mauls. All metal, fiberglass and wood.

I first tried camping a few years ago, exactly as you described - Ontario Parks, no back country, just buying bags of wood from the park office.

I brought my princess auto hatchet. It works terrible to split the wood. I felt unsafe and really had to work at it.

Bought the x11 after complaining to my skilled friend. It is AMAZING. I honestly couldn't believe how well it worked. Better than any axe I've used in my life.

The wood splits on its own when it sees me coming ;)

Kidding aside, I skip the really knotted pieces, but otherwise it does what I need. Most importantly it feels safe.

These have lifetime warranty on them as well.

My 2 cents.