[Amazon.ca] 3 multimeters for $32.99 amazon shipped

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 11th, 2019 8:22 pm
[OP]
Jan 11, 2006
79 posts
29 upvotes
Oakville
Kurtz7834 wrote: Amazon.ca is doing the shipping so I'm hopeful.
Yes, me too: considering that I was willing to pay the $42.99 for ONE and now I may get THREE for $32.99 -> that would be a pretty good overall deal if fulfilled :)
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
3729 posts
3809 upvotes
Vancouver
troutjegs wrote: For those that didn't notice, all of the reviews read like they aren't written by someone that speaks english. A few reviews, sure. But all of the reviews?
It's common for Chinese suppliers on Amazon.ca to seed the reviews for a new product with a bunch of very positive fake reviews. I don't know why they keep up this practice when it's pretty well known now.

This looks like a good deal, and you probably can't go far wrong if you get 3 this cheap. But past experience has been that really cheap multimeters are really cheaply made and subject to a lot of problems, such as: unsafe for measuring high voltage, connectors and controls that break quickly, readings that vary with internal battery voltage instead of staying accurate, etc.

Plus you may get hit with a long customs delay and GST/HST/PST charged for value over $20 if shipping from China.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
13958 posts
4433 upvotes
Toronto
engineered wrote: For $5 who cares? I actually bought that $5 unit and it works fine, came withing 2 or 3 weeks. $5 vs $45 (+2 units you don't need).
Your meter is much more primitive than the one in the OP as well, doesn't have the same auto ranging capability. Display looks dim and crappy.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
13958 posts
4433 upvotes
Toronto
Scote64 wrote: It's common for Chinese suppliers on Amazon.ca to seed the reviews for a new product with a bunch of very positive fake reviews. I don't know why they keep up this practice when it's pretty well known now.

This looks like a good deal, and you probably can't go far wrong if you get 3 this cheap. But past experience has been that really cheap multimeters are really cheaply made and subject to a lot of problems, such as: unsafe for measuring high voltage, connectors and controls that break quickly, readings that vary with internal battery voltage instead of staying accurate, etc.

Plus you may get hit with a long customs delay and GST/HST/PST charged for value over $20 if shipping from China.
The products in the OP ship directly from Amazon.ca

If you are not satisfied with the quality, you can deal with Amazon's usual great return policy.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 24, 2009
5625 posts
6709 upvotes
Just want to let you know that seller is using this "Free" product trick to get rid the bad quality products. Because these products are free, if you try to request a refund/return from these free products, you won't get any money back. You need to chat with CSR and some CSR will manually issue the refund as Amazon credit to your account, but it is YMMV. You can request a refund on the entire bundle, but it may flag your account with many product return at the same time.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
34490 posts
4039 upvotes
Winnipeg
Kurtz7834 wrote: There is $10 coupon on one of the meters. I was able to get all three for $32.99 all in. Very confusing process and very likely a big price error being able to combine all these promos at once.

My invoice total looks like:

Order Summary
Item(s) Subtotal:CDN$ 101.57
Shipping & Handling:CDN$ 9.80
FREE Shipping:-CDN$ 9.80
Promotion Applied:-CDN$ 25.59
Your Coupon Savings:-CDN$ 10.00
Your Coupon Savings:-CDN$ 3.00
Promotion Applied:-CDN$ 29.99
Total before tax:CDN$ 32.99
Estimated GST/HST:CDN$ 0.00
Estimated PST/RST/QST:CDN$ 0.00
Grand Total:CDN$ 32.99
here is mine

Order Summary
Shipping & Handling:CDN$ 0.00
Gift Card Amount:-CDN$ 32.99
Grand Total:CDN$ 0.00
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
3729 posts
3809 upvotes
Vancouver
Kurtz7834 wrote: The products in the OP ship directly from Amazon.ca
"Fulfilled by Amazon" should be fine - Amazon is pretty good about returning products that are unsatisfactory, although they have been clamping down a bit more lately.

But still, given what I've seen of cheap multimeters (and I have a few myself), I would spend more to get a quality brand name. Of course if you don't have a mutlimeter at all, and you're too cheap to buy a decent one, better to have something than nothing.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
13958 posts
4433 upvotes
Toronto
divx wrote: here is mine

Order Summary
Shipping & Handling:CDN$ 0.00
Gift Card Amount:-CDN$ 32.99
Grand Total:CDN$ 0.00
So you had an Amazon gift card balance to get it to $0.00, correct?
[OP]
Jan 11, 2006
79 posts
29 upvotes
Oakville
Scote64 wrote:
But past experience has been that really cheap multimeters are really cheaply made and subject to a lot of problems, such as: unsafe for measuring high voltage, connectors and controls that break quickly, readings that vary with internal battery voltage instead of staying accurate, etc.
I did a quick search on the manufacturer and the specific model (on the first meter I wanted to buy): it does not seem to be worse than no name multimeters sold at Canadian Tire or The Source (which is what I use now) from a quality perspective and the features are much better. We shall see (I hope).
Last edited by Gadgetguy on Oct 10th, 2019 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
13958 posts
4433 upvotes
Toronto
Scote64 wrote: "Fulfilled by Amazon" should be fine - Amazon is pretty good about returning products that are unsatisfactory, although they have been clamping down a bit more lately.

But still, given what I've seen of cheap multimeters (and I have a few myself), I would spend more to get a quality brand name. Of course if you don't have a mutlimeter at all, and you're too cheap to buy a decent one, better to have something than nothing.
I think most people who rely heavily on these things will be paying the three figures for the Fluke.

The one in the OP is probably fine for hobbyists and DIYers.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
13958 posts
4433 upvotes
Toronto
Scote64 wrote: "Fulfilled by Amazon" should be fine - Amazon is pretty good about returning products that are unsatisfactory, although they have been clamping down a bit more lately.
Clamping down how? You have 30 days to return it for a refund.
Mar 24, 2008
34 posts
35 upvotes
Thanks OP! For $32 I will take the dive and see if all three of these are worth it. If not Amazon.ca does have a pretty decent return process.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
3729 posts
3809 upvotes
Vancouver
Kurtz7834 wrote: Clamping down how? You have 30 days to return it for a refund.
They used to allow you to state any reason, like just "not satisfied". Now they want you state a valid reason why it is not as described or is unsuitable to purpose. It's not hard to find a reason, but you might want to think for a moment about how to put it if you're describing your reason for asking for refund.