Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

[30.36] Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat: Mastering the Elements of Good Cooking Hardcover – April 25 2017

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 21st, 2020 2:15 am
42 replies
Jul 4, 2007
309 posts
35 upvotes
Edmonton
Chapters/Indigo has it for that price right now too.
Nov 25, 2019
197 posts
214 upvotes
Don't understand why you received down votes. This is an excellent book at a really good price.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1450 posts
3382 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
andrew1989 wrote: Don't understand why you received down votes. This is an excellent book at a really good price.
Trolls.

Also, don’t be bothered to much by the downvoting. It has ZERO impact on the post or the OP.
Don't request PMs in your signature - Mods
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2008
2308 posts
5083 upvotes
Markham
For people who might be tight on budget, you can always save by borrowing (digitally) from your library.

The Overdrive/Libby app they use is actually pretty decent, and Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat is on there!
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2006
1151 posts
1625 upvotes
Hammonds Plains
Netflix(?) series is decent, titled the same thing. 4 episodes. Likely same woman. Knows food.
Aug 8, 2013
49 posts
87 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
[...]

But anyways, thanks OP, I love Samin. Hey enthusiasm for cookery and teaching about food is the most contagious out of any chef I've ever seen. And I love me some food network.
Last edited by Mars2012 on Dec 10th, 2020 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: quote and your response removed
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2008
2353 posts
2275 upvotes
Montréal
I borrowed this bookf from the library and read part of it, some good lessons to be learnt
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
8506 posts
4382 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
OK. Let me get it from library and watch the netflix

Update: Wow. 126 people in line before me. lol
Last edited by theflyingsquirrel on Dec 10th, 2020 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
How to setup PAP in Tangerine
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
1058 posts
522 upvotes
Montreal
I have this book, it's decent and interesting but this is not a culinary reference book like the Larousse Gastronomique or Escoffier's book
Sep 4, 2007
528 posts
448 upvotes
fjanicki wrote: I have this book, it's decent and interesting but this is not a culinary reference book like the Larousse Gastronomique or Escoffier's book
Do you happen to have The Food Lab by any chance? That was the other cookbook I had on my list and wonder how they compared.
Oct 30, 2005
523 posts
113 upvotes
Montreal
cky312 wrote: Do you happen to have The Food Lab by any chance? That was the other cookbook I had on my list and wonder how they compared.
Have both, SFAH is better as a foundation.

Love both books, if you only had to get one, get SFAH and consult Serious Eats online to get your Food Lab fix.

But both books are worth getting.
Sep 4, 2007
528 posts
448 upvotes
Kuro wrote: Have both, SFAH is better as a foundation.

Love both books, if you only had to get one, get SFAH and consult Serious Eats online to get your Food Lab fix.

But both books are worth getting.
When you say foundation do you mean the things they mention in the Netflix series? Such as the 4 elements (salt, fat, acid, heat) and how each dish should have these as basis?

I fully understand Serious Eats creeps into the casual food nerd side (though no quite gastronomic) with how they get into the sciences of particular foods and cooking techniques.
Oct 30, 2005
523 posts
113 upvotes
Montreal
cky312 wrote: When you say foundation do you mean the things they mention in the Netflix series? Such as the 4 elements (salt, fat, acid, heat) and how each dish should have these as basis?

I fully understand Serious Eats creeps into the casual food nerd side (though no quite gastronomic) with how they get into the sciences of particular foods and cooking techniques.
I would say if you had to start with one to build your foundation of culinary knowledge, I would go with SFAH. It's a good practical guide, that is more accessible to the home cook.

If you want something more sciencey and technical, more complete - go with The Food Lab.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
1058 posts
522 upvotes
Montreal
cky312 wrote: Do you happen to have The Food Lab by any chance? That was the other cookbook I had on my list and wonder how they compared.
No unfortunately I do not own this book, but I've heard a lot about it. I might get it eventually.

I'm trying to focus on French classics at the moment though.
Jul 4, 2007
309 posts
35 upvotes
Edmonton
I bought sfah at chapters with the discount and enjoying it. I’ve also been watching old episodes of Cookjng At Home with Jacques Pepin and Julia Child from the 90s PBS on Amazon prime. I find the recipes accessible and very good. Especially his avocado and tomato salad!
Deal Guru
May 9, 2007
12792 posts
3799 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
I’m not familiar with the book, but I enjoy cooking. I don’t really have room for hardcover books and in any case, I do most of my reading when I am in Mexico. I wouldn’t want to lug the weight and volume of a hardcover book.

I see the book is also available as a Kindle book and as an Audible audiobook. Some books do well in these formats while other... not so well. (I’m struggling with “A Brief History of Time” as an audiobook.)

Can anyone comment on whether they think this book would do well in either of these other formats?
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

Our house is on fire.” Greta Thunberg
Nov 25, 2019
197 posts
214 upvotes
MexiCanuck wrote: Can anyone comment on whether they think this book would do well in either of these other formats?
The audiobook is read by Samin herself, and does a great job (as most authors do) of communicating the spirit or the book. The audio alone (about 6 hours) is good, but it's all the visuals and diagrams that help make this book extra special. The attachments of all the hand-illustrated diagrams really help clarify things or at least make the experience a lot more fun, which is in the spirit or the book. I still preferred the physical book in this case, but given your situation I think the audiobook might be preferable.

Also, just to clarify my perspective or bias on audiobooks vs physical copies of books - usually for purely word-driven books I prefer the convenience of audiobooks (unless the voice actor gets in the way of the enjoyment) but for visual books (cookbooks, texts, references) I prefer the physical book. I believe this book falls into the latter category - especially given that it is a book you might refer back to repeatedly (the 2nd half is purely recipes.)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)