Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] [30.36] Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat: Mastering the Elements of Good Cooking Hardcover – April 25 2017

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 21st, 2020 2:15 am
Deal Guru
May 9, 2007
10355 posts
3197 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
andrew1989 wrote: Also, just to clarify my perspective or bias on audiobooks vs physical copies of books - usually for purely word-driven books I prefer the convenience of audiobooks (unless the voice actor gets in the way of the enjoyment) but for visual books (cookbooks, texts, references) I prefer the physical book. I believe this book falls into the latter category - especially given that it is a book you might refer back to repeatedly (the 2nd half is purely recipes.)
Thank you for your helpful comments. I know that some of the audiobooks I have listened to make extensive reference to diagrams, charts, tables, etc., which isn’t really practical while driving or exercising. :)

I see that Audible says, “When you purchase this title, the accompanying reference material will be available in your Library section along with the audio.” I’m guessing that will contribute, but not be essential, while I’m listening.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

Our house is on fire.” Greta Thunberg
Aug 25, 2019
571 posts
540 upvotes
For people who might be tight on budget, you can always save by borrowing (digitally) from your library.

The Overdrive/Libby app they use is actually pretty decent, and Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat is on there!

Thanks for the tip. I used to get all my TV Seasons at the library..and had got away from that years ago. Nowadays I find myself buying absolutely TERRIFIC Cook books for $1each at second hand stores... Always liked the idea of having a separate room that was a library.
"It is not what you look at that matters, it's what you see." - Anonymous
Sep 30, 2019
109 posts
121 upvotes
for people really into knowledge about food and cooking, please consider harold mcgee's "on food and cooking". . .

it is revered as a bible of culinary information

this will not be as accessible as other reference tomes, but if you like to geek out on stuff. . .this will blow your mind

the book jacket plaudits are like a who's who of michelin starred chefs and celebrity chefs. . .

if you are a fan of alton brown and good eats, this will be right in your wheel house. . .in the words of maaaaatt daaaamon, he will science the crap out of it. . .
Aug 25, 2019
571 posts
540 upvotes
afong636807717107645200 wrote: for people really into knowledge about food and cooking, please consider harold mcgee's "on food and cooking". . .

it is revered as a bible of culinary information

this will not be as accessible as other reference tomes, but if you like to geek out on stuff. . .this will blow your mind

the book jacket plaudits are like a who's who of michelin starred chefs and celebrity chefs. . .

if you are a fan of alton brown and good eats, this will be right in your wheel house. . .in the words of maaaaatt daaaamon, he will science the crap out of it. . .
THANKS!
Good Eats is one of my Favorite Shows on TV!
"It is not what you look at that matters, it's what you see." - Anonymous
Jan 19, 2008
480 posts
298 upvotes
FYI: The book is $20 more in-store at chapters.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2004
10161 posts
2787 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Already had Kenji's Food Lab, this would be a nice addition for the S/O
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2004
10161 posts
2787 upvotes
Montreal, QC
$9 shipping at Chapters tho..

Edit: $35 for free shipping, bought a filler book as gift, 15% off single most pricey item only.
Apr 17, 2019
21 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
The food lab is available for free on archive.org library. Just need to set up an account.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2006
1251 posts
187 upvotes
Toronto
johnsmithy wrote: Thanks OP. Bought from Indigo using UGO GCs, with the plum Plus membership deal, 4% from Rakuten and 15% off single item code PERK15. Final cost was $24.79 (excluding ebates and UGO $10 bonus GC).

Wow, it's been a while since I pulled one of these RFDeals.
That's a pretty sweet discount you got! Any reason why you didn't go with Moola instead of UGO for $100 + bonus $15 instead?
moola-moolas-holiday-deals-december-202 ... s-2425832/
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2006
1251 posts
187 upvotes
Toronto
purplekush604 wrote: Showing as 44.80 for me?
I thought it was dead too. There should be an option to see all the various buying options (the link should say X New from CDN$ ...). One of them has free Prime shipping at $30.55, but it says it won't ship until 1-2 months later. Not sure if this is considered "dead" or not.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
5778 posts
2022 upvotes
Toronto
Ruciz wrote: Netflix(?) series is decent, titled the same thing. 4 episodes. Likely same woman. Knows food.
This is a hilarious comment.. "Likely same woman" lol
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
5778 posts
2022 upvotes
Toronto
monarch22 wrote: The food lab is available for free on archive.org library. Just need to set up an account.
how is that even possible, is it legal? or someone just uploaded it?