• Jul 12th, 2021 9:42 am
[OP]
Dec 25, 2003
508 posts
489 upvotes
Saskatoon

[Amazon.ca] 32Gb DDR4 3600MHz CL16 Ram Memory (16Gbx2) [Red Only] $221.99

[EDIT]
1. This isnt a deal that non-tech ppl are going to understand. In short, this ram is clocked just right to make a Ryzen cpu perform well and should be overclockable as well. It is an in demand item which is becoming hard to find.
2. This isn't marked as a sale on amazon but the hottest price going on this class of DDR4. The "sale" prices of other similar ram offerings are higher than this price, some of them much higher.

Just built a PC and after endless hrs of price shopping I found 1 good ram deal. 32Gb and 3600MHz CL16 is the sweet spot for AMD Ryzen folks, not sure about Intel. There is a covid upcharge for 16Gb sticks lately but these ones dont seem to have been jacked up. Note: You have to select Red, 3600MHz and CL 16 to get the price. Thumbs Me Down if you can find something with these specs or better, for a better price.

Crucial Ballistix is the brand and these are made by Micron, ppl say in the reviews that you get good quality components on the ram. At worst you get CL16 at 3600MHz 16-18-18-36 and maybe can overclock it more, YMMV the reviews were mixed lately. Newegg has the red ram for a bit more money and white is only a few $$ more there too. It is likely the price will be going up due to chip shortages and increased demand.
Last edited by realBIGmike on May 22nd, 2021 5:28 am, edited 7 times in total.
62 replies
[OP]
Dec 25, 2003
508 posts
489 upvotes
Saskatoon
It is the best deal by quite a bit. Most of the alternatives are over $270 and plenty over $300. This is lowest possible price, after much searching, for anyone looking to for a new pc. If you have a better deal, thumb this down and teach me a lesson for trying to help. When I found this price it seemed like a price mistake, like they forgot to mark it up since it is kind of buried on the ad page.
Dec 29, 2010
305 posts
411 upvotes
Laval
This is a deal forum. This is not a deal. It’s simply a regular priced RAM.

Imagine someone posting the lowest-priced mid-size sedan at regular price. It still wouldn’t be a deal.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
3285 posts
994 upvotes
Belle River
I've been looking at 2x16GB 3600Mhz kits the last week or so, specific ones that were on a motherboard list, and this happened to be one of them, and it was $215 about a week ago.

Another brand was $215, and then I noticed it dropped to $207 yesterday:
https://www.newegg.ca/team-32gb-288-pin ... 6820331400

So without getting into specifics like brands and timings and such, and considering this exact RAM was $7 cheaper only days ago and no one posted it, I'm thinking like someone else pointed out, it doesn't seem like much of a deal.
[OP]
Dec 25, 2003
508 posts
489 upvotes
Saskatoon
The ram you posted is a step down in speed and around $40-70 less in value, CL 16 is what I posted and you posted CL 18. Anyone building a PC should snap this up.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
21140 posts
25096 upvotes
realBIGmike wrote: The ram you posted is a step down in speed and around $40-70 less in value, CL 16 is what I posted and you posted CL 18. Anyone building a PC should snap this up.
In this environment, your deal isn't bad.

Beggars can't be choosers.

Computing pricing still sucks in COVID despite the benefits of Biden inflation on the Canadian dollar.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2004
1747 posts
218 upvotes
Kelowna, BC
Why not include the brand and model in the title? Thinking Face
Jun 3, 2004
857 posts
616 upvotes
LOL thanks for posting - too bad most of RFD can't read.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2006
4351 posts
900 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
realBIGmike wrote: [EDIT] This isnt a deal that non-tech ppl are going to understand but this price is a steal and it is hard to find fast ram at all. This ram is clocked just right to make a Ryzen cpu perform well and should be overclockable as well.

Just built a PC and after endless hrs of price shopping I found 1 good ram deal, I jumped at the deal since it is below market price. 32Gb and 3600MHz CL16 is the sweet spot for AMD Ryzen folks, not sure about Intel. There is a covid upcharge for 16Gb sticks lately but these ones dont seem to have been jacked up. Note: You have to select Red, 3600MHz and CL 16 to get the price. Thumbs Me Down if you can find something with these specs or better, for a better price.

Nice price for these specs- this is not a sale price but it is cheaper than every sale price. Crucial Ballistix is the brand and these are made by Micron, ppl say in the reviews that you get good quality components on the ram. At worst you get CL16 at 3600MHz 16-18-18-36 and maybe can overclock it more, YMMV the reviews were mixed lately. Newegg has the red ram for a bit more money and white is only a few $$ more there too.
Did you receive it already? What's the full model part number? The "non tech ppl" as you call it may not understand why I'm asking.

And thanks for posting this. I've been keeping an eye out on this kit at all the retailers since Feb until the end of April and it's always been north of $240 or out of stock at $229. With today's conversion rate, the $188 USD MSRP would be $226 CAD, so it's still a little below regular price.
hystavito wrote: I've been looking at 2x16GB 3600Mhz kits the last week or so, specific ones that were on a motherboard list, and this happened to be one of them, and it was $215 about a week ago.
You could've posted it - that would've been a better deal. If no one posts then no one will know, and if there's no useful feedback no one will be a better shopper.
jtplayte wrote: Got similar RAM for $186 about a week ago... Single 16 stock is still only $96 https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0829FD4XM/ref ... V903?psc=1

I realize it is value, and Cl18, but can test and return if no good.

That is a good no frills "gaming" memory. No fancy heatsinks or LEDs, but still programmed with XMP profile for overclocking. If you don't need the LEDs and heatsinks, this would be a good choice.
The neat thing about Timetec and Kingston memory: they tell you exactly what rank you're getting (at least for now).
Aug 22, 2010
80 posts
116 upvotes
Ottawa
I purchased 32GB recently and was interested in this kit, but ultimately avoided it because it *seemed* likely I would get single rank dimms which isn't optimal per-channel for Ryzen processors. My understanding is that there is a significant performance increase in some scenarios when using dual rank. Reviews and reddit posts seem to suggest most 2x16GB Crucial kits are single rank now.

I tried to be safe by buying two 2x8GB kits instead, presuming each dimm is single rank so I can have two per channel. I haven't installed the ram yet, so I don't know if I was successful because I also want to avoid quad rank per channel.
Sep 14, 2014
92 posts
36 upvotes
Ajax, ON
this seems like a pretty good price as I've been looking and 2-3 weeks ago it was $278.99 (for the black) and $249.99 about a week ago...cheapest i've seen in a while. torn cuz I can know it can be cheaper

edit: the 3200 speed is $170 which is pretty good i think https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B083TS ... =UTF8&th=1

edit 2: the all-time low on the 3600 I can find is $192...so this is actually not terrible. might go for it
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2012
1312 posts
3307 upvotes
Not hot or cold. Decent deal at best.
[OP]
Dec 25, 2003
508 posts
489 upvotes
Saskatoon
errational wrote: Why not include the brand and model in the title? Thinking Face
Ran out of space and I dont want to make everyone read if not interested. The brand doesnt really matter does it? The micron components are more impt than the Crucial branding anyways.
bluegreenshxt wrote: LOL thanks for posting - too bad most of RFD can't read.
The trolls don't read but they definitely write.
dmxlite wrote: Did you receive it already? What's the full model part number? The "non tech ppl" as you call it may not understand why I'm asking.
Still not received, I wasnt going to research the micron parts but if you are interested in digging deeper I will get the #s when it arrives. I was just going to try to tighten up the timings a bit, and overclock the Ryzen 5 3600 by 200mhz with the stock cooler, then hope it works.

For those comparing this to CL18 ram, please stop. CL18 is easy to come by, you could also get 3200MHz that is CL16 and that will get you a similar, 1 step lower result. CL14 at 3200MHz would be comparable to this ram but I think it would not perform as well with a Ryzen and would hinder overclocking. 3600MHz runs 1:1 ratio with the CPU and that timing offers stability and performance comparatively. 1 step down seems to save you $40 - $70 on price but 1 step up will cost more than that. Performance parts are the ones with the most covid markup. The ram I posted is the sweet spot for Ryzen factoring cost/performance with a Ryzen, in my case the Ryzen 5 3600. Each step up in performance parts is exponential because of runaway inflation and chip shortages, plus the regular "newness" factor. This ram and the price hit a lot of sweet spots.
Freebush
Not hot or cold. Decent deal at best.
Show us something that is better then? You wont do that for a number of reasons. Face With Tears Of Joy I am going to assume this is the HOTTEST memory deal for Ryzen PC builders. We know it doesnt have SALE SALE SALE written on the website with an inflated original price, and this has disappointed you. Others might believe that the price is what makes the deal hot, and not the word SALE. There are some 70% off sales in the Canadian Tire flyer which you might find more compelling than this deal.
Last edited by realBIGmike on May 22nd, 2021 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2008
3404 posts
4311 upvotes
Oakville
dmxlite wrote: Did you receive it already? What's the full model part number? The "non tech ppl" as you call it may not understand why I'm asking.

And thanks for posting this. I've been keeping an eye out on this kit at all the retailers since Feb until the end of April and it's always been north of $240 or out of stock at $229. With today's conversion rate, the $188 USD MSRP would be $226 CAD, so it's still a little below regular price.

You could've posted it - that would've been a better deal. If no one posts then no one will know, and if there's no useful feedback no one will be a better shopper.

That is a good no frills "gaming" memory. No fancy heatsinks or LEDs, but still programmed with XMP profile for overclocking. If you don't need the LEDs and heatsinks, this would be a good choice.
The neat thing about Timetec and Kingston memory: they tell you exactly what rank you're getting (at least for now).
I bought this, how can I tell if it's single rank or dual rank?

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B07WJJHMP5?th=1&psc=1
-ZdpZ... ;)
[OP]
Dec 25, 2003
508 posts
489 upvotes
Saskatoon
You can read the SPD eeprom on the ram with any freeware software to find out about ranks.
What would you do with that info, just verify that the timings are set correctly by XMP?

My info might be out of date but historically, using 2 sticks of ram is the fastest option (dual channel mode). It beats 1 stick, 3, and also 4 sticks. So it is best to leave 2 memory slots empty on your mobo if there are 4 available. Only use all 4 if you have a need for it, eg.. quantity of ram > speed. From what I understand, you only need to worry about ranks if your mobo will not boot or if you have a server cpu with special memory channel configuration.
Feb 21, 2008
97 posts
142 upvotes
Not trying to poop on your post here but, for comparison, Crucial Ballistix 2x16gb 3200mhz kit was $119.99 on Black Friday from Amazon.
Aug 24, 2016
749 posts
552 upvotes
Man I only need 16 GB to pair with a 5900x preferably 3600MHZ.