Expired Hot Deals

Locked: [Amazon Canada] 3M Littmann Stethoscopes (Classic III, Cardiology IV and Master Cardiology) starting from $74.10

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 1st, 2018 8:03 pm
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
2398 posts
1746 upvotes
Clarington
hahaha this thread has been enlightening. I don't know why but I always just assumed there was one model of stethoscope and all the doctors had it.

It also has become apparent in this thread that doctors are nerds when it comes to their stethoscopes lol. A large portion of this seems like the endless debate over which graphics card is better for what purpose lol.
Dec 26, 2007
270 posts
112 upvotes
Vancouver
Some doctors (mostly surgeons) have the ego the size of a planet, so it's fun to watch them battle :D
Sep 21, 2010
226 posts
48 upvotes
Horsey2345 wrote:
Nov 30th, 2018 11:30 am
I work with cardiac anaethetists daily and more often then not they don’t listen to confirm placement. Gold standard is direct visualization of the tube passing through the cords and waveform capnography.
None of you people get it the original statement was they needed a stethoscope for intubation, you don’t need it for intubation. It can be used for placement but again theres a difference between intubation and placement. Nobody can guarantee correct placement just by auscultation anyways.
you don't have to prove yourself by making inane "correct" comments. gold standard for tracheal intubation sure but how you gonna tell if you're too far.
Mar 22, 2013
731 posts
1023 upvotes
Toronto
zeon64 wrote:
Nov 26th, 2018 9:28 pm
Thanks picked up a master to have in the Lexus glove box. Twice in the past month I've ran into patients not feeling well at the grocery store. Be great to have one in the car for these odd visits as I generally don't keep a medical bag in the car.
Thanks for sharing that it’s in your Lexus. The story would have made absolutely no sense without that detail. A true master of the story telling art.
Feb 18, 2012
550 posts
228 upvotes
Victoria
gnewylliw wrote:
Dec 1st, 2018 3:09 pm
you don't have to prove yourself by making inane "correct" comments. gold standard for tracheal intubation sure but how you gonna tell if you're too far.
How are you going to tell if you're not in far enough or too far by auscultation? You can be right on the carina or in the vocal cords and still hear bilateral air entry.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2005
7734 posts
932 upvotes
Horsey2345 wrote:
Dec 1st, 2018 6:12 pm
How are you going to tell if you're not in far enough or too far by auscultation? You can be right on the carina or in the vocal cords and still hear bilateral air entry.
Hey bud, why are you getting so heated? Standard practice is to auscultate both sides to rule out an endobronchial intubation. It's also standard to have a stethoscope immediately available on the anesthetic cart for this exact purpose. You use a steth to rule out a leak by auscultating over the mouth. Or maybe you let the med student/RT intubate and you auscultate over the stomach to make sure it wasn't esophageal. If you are an AA you already know all this so I'm not sure why you're fighting this losing battle.