• Mar 8th, 2021 9:50 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
3431 posts
3599 upvotes
GTA

[Amazon.ca] 3rd party Nintendo Switch Dock with HDMI output

I was looking for a cheap 3rd party Nintendo Switch Dock with TV output and I found this on sale, regular $45.99 and right now is $39.99 + $5 off coupon, so $35 total. It qualifies for Prime delivery.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08B5VFMDW/ref ... UTF8&psc=1

This works only for the Switch, not Switch Lite. It also doesn't come with the power adapter and seems to run on either TV out OR charge mode, not both at the same time like the regular Switch dock.
c'mon get happy!
47 replies
Feb 25, 2013
56 posts
59 upvotes
Vancouver
This works! I bought it last year at this price and it's so convenient to just set it at secondary TV/monitor and not worry about the OEM dock.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2008
2772 posts
940 upvotes
I've heard a number of "experts" talk about how third party docks could cause issues with your Switch.

For example:

When I needed an additional dock, I grabbed this but looks like it's sold out right now:
https://store.nintendo.ca/dock-refurbis ... witch.html

... so I guess that doesn't really help.

However, FYI for those considering it.

Maybe the issue is fixed now though?
Jun 9, 2012
468 posts
318 upvotes
Vancouver
Not being able to charge while using the switch kinda sucks.
Apr 30, 2017
452 posts
696 upvotes
Saint-Hubert, Quebec
I've been reading on this subject for a week now. My conclusion is, there are 4 safe docks.
1. Nintendo Dock
2. Rocketfish/Insignia from BestBuy
3. Genki Covertdock
4. Jump Gate

Anything other than that, I wouldn't put my switch in. But, one thing that seems to be constant is that any dock is relatively safe if you use it with the official Nintendo charger.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
3431 posts
3599 upvotes
GTA
JonDuke19 wrote: I've been reading on this subject for a week now. My conclusion is, there are 4 safe docks.
1. Nintendo Dock
3. Genki Covertdock
4. Jump Gate

Anything other than that, I wouldn't put my switch in. But, one thing that seems to be constant is that any dock is relatively safe if you use it with the official Nintendo charger.
I'll make sure to do that, good advice thanks
c'mon get happy!
Apr 4, 2017
152 posts
90 upvotes
THE 6IX
JonDuke19 wrote: I've been reading on this subject for a week now. My conclusion is, there are 4 safe docks.
1. Nintendo Dock
3. Genki Covertdock
4. Jump Gate

Can confirm genki because I use it
WE THE NORTH!
Sep 30, 2019
139 posts
103 upvotes
Vancouver
I’ve also looked into this a couple of months ago, the insignia and genki docks are pretty reliable from what I read. For 100% peace of mind I’d also suggest keeping tabs on Nintendo’s site since they sometimes re-stock refurbished switch docks for around $50 I believe. IIRC They do charge for shipping which really sucks.
May 23, 2019
31 posts
65 upvotes
This still needs an official AC adapter, or quality equivalent specifically made for the Switch.
1. Nintendo Dock
3. Genki Covertdock
4. Jump Gate

I've read conflicting info on bricking due to 3rd party docks, but personally wouldn't risk my my Switch to save a few dollars. I've been using the Rocketfish dock from BestBuy for a while and it's solid. It's $25 more than the OP, but it comes with an AC adapter (and HDMI cable).

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ro ... y/14663596
Last edited by Bumnose on Mar 6th, 2021 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 22, 2017
278 posts
158 upvotes
1. Nintendo Dock
3. Genki Covertdock
4. Jump Gate

just a FYI some people early on reported the bricking issues with Rocketfish/Insignia

im unsure if it was unlucky coincidence or if old versions had the problem and it got corrected in later versions, cause most mentions of it are positive.
either way I would trust the other brands before it, but I would trust it before <insert random chinesium dock here>

personally ive only ever tried the OG dock and the Genki but I di like the Genki enough to order a 3rd so theirs that
Last edited by HiddenEmailer on Mar 6th, 2021 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2008
2772 posts
940 upvotes
ChrizArtz wrote: Can confirm genki because I use it
The issue, apparently, with third party docks is that they work right up until the point where they damage your Switch. The issue isn't whether they work (most do), it's whether they will ultimately break your console. It's because Nintendo uses its own power delivery standard.

I'm not an expert myself, at all, just relaying the info I've read/heard.

(Not speaking about the Genki dock specifically though)
Apr 4, 2017
152 posts
90 upvotes
THE 6IX
Yeah I know, but I trust genki and been using it since day 1 no issues on my end
WE THE NORTH!
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2011
1426 posts
835 upvotes
Toronto
1. Nintendo Dock
3. Genki Covertdock
4. Jump Gate

The only dock I would trust is Skull & co and original Nintendo dock (including refurbished)

Skulk &co jumpgate is #1 combo for third party. I bought that from Amazon.com USA, came out to $100cad after duty and shipping. It's expensive, but it surely works. I was opting for the Nintendo refurbished dock, but it's too bulky for me to bring around (especially for traveling and/or friends' home), Nintendo's power adapter is also very expensive too.

I love the sleek looks!
IMG_20210306_151550.jpg
Feb 22, 2013
959 posts
798 upvotes
dbdudley wrote: The issue, apparently, with third party docks is that they work right up until the point where they damage your Switch. The issue isn't whether they work (most do), it's whether they will ultimately break your console. It's because Nintendo uses its own power delivery standard.

I'm not an expert myself, at all, just relaying the info I've read/heard.

(Not speaking about the Genki dock specifically though)
3rd party docks for the Switch is being penny wise puns foolish. Don’t put a $400 device into something that may brick your unit just to save a few bucks.
May 11, 2005
459 posts
328 upvotes
Brampton
evanwier wrote: I have been using

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07TS5 ... UTF8&psc=1

for 1.5 years on my second TV regularly with absolutely no issues. Charges while I play, works just the same as the regular dock.

(And its insanely tiny so you can bring it on trips really easy)
Got this last week which seems the same as yours for 19.99.

Unavailable now though

Havent tried it yet

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B086V3Y2RJ/ref ... UTF8&psc=1
Nov 24, 2015
52 posts
128 upvotes
Why is the Nintendo Switch Dock Set (Adapter + HDMI) never in stock? Only ebay has them for like +$100

Anyone know any good alternatives that include adapter + hdmi, thanks.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3497 posts
619 upvotes
Hamilton
I already bought an official Nintendo charger, does that eliminate the risk with buying these 3rd party docks?
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2011
1426 posts
835 upvotes
Toronto
kvnn122333 wrote: Why is the Nintendo Switch Dock Set (Adapter + HDMI) never in stock? Only ebay has them for like +$100

Anyone know any good alternatives that include adapter + hdmi, thanks.
Skull & co jump gate.
adblink182 wrote: I already bought an official Nintendo charger, does that eliminate the risk with buying these 3rd party docks?
Make sure you buy the more expensive Nintendo charger, the cheaper one is not meant to be use for the dock. It even says it on the box