Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

4-Pack RGB Color Changing Smart Bulbs (Works with Alexa & Google Assistant) $46.99

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 18th, 2020 7:15 am
38 replies
Jun 25, 2018
166 posts
339 upvotes
Peterborough
Looks like some good reviews. I was looking at the globe ones from Costco, but the reviews on those seem to indicate a problem with connecting. These are a few $ more per bulb, but might be worth it. Thanks OP.

Here is a link for the costco ones as a comparator (i think they are $28.99 in the warehouse): https://www.costco.ca/globe-electric-le ... 73294.html
Last edited by ShirleyYouCantBeSerious on Jul 29th, 2020 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added link
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11737 posts
6926 upvotes
Paris
ShirleyYouCantBeSerious wrote: Looks like some good reviews. I was looking at the globe ones from Costco, but the reviews on those seem to indicate a problem with connecting. These are a few $ more per bulb, but might be worth it. Thanks OP.

Here is a link for the costco ones as a comparator (i think they are $28.99 in the warehouse): https://www.costco.ca/globe-electric-le ... 73294.html
I have 9 or 12 of the costco ones (honestly I cant remember exactly) and they are great. So cheap I use some as ultra bright white LEDs only
Jan 17, 2007
27 posts
16 upvotes
Saskatoon, SK
Jerico wrote: I have 9 or 12 of the costco ones (honestly I cant remember exactly) and they are great. So cheap I use some as ultra bright white LEDs only
I have also been using the Costco Globe bulbs,outdoors in my soffits with no issues, including over the winter at -25C. Use them with the Smartlife app and Google Home.
Nov 17, 2003
553 posts
149 upvotes
I remember reviews saying the globe ones were not bright at all when colours are selected.

Would like to know how bright these get in colour mode.
Jun 20, 2010
358 posts
177 upvotes
i have been using Nooie for almost a month and they have been very good,look robust and good quality / no connectivity or configuration issues. i have only two minor complaints
- in color mode i might have preferred them to be a bit brighter. But i don't have a reference to compare as this is my first color smart bulbs
- they are a bit too heavy. And some of the ceiling light fitment...as an example some of the horizontal bulb holders, the weight was really putting a lot of pressure on them.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2011
1019 posts
752 upvotes
santoku wrote: I have also been using the Costco Globe bulbs,outdoors in my soffits with no issues, including over the winter at -25C. Use them with the Smartlife app and Google Home.
What's the wattage for the Globe bulbs and brightness lumen? Unable to see this listed on Costco page.

For reference, OPs product is 10w and 800 lumens, which is fairly decent.

You're going to want brighter otherwise the bulb will be kinda dim when using darker colours.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7183 posts
7681 upvotes
Vancouver
Standard warning applies to these: they depend on the Tuya Smart Life servers (their own app is a customized version of the Tuya Smart Life app and talks to the same Tuya servers). Lately Tuya has been making moves to reduce cooperation with other home automation services and trying to force customers to use only Tuya-supported equipment. For example they stopped working with IFTTT for a month because they were trying to force IFTTT to reduce their fee to Tuya, and they have introduced new rate-limiting for third-party services that cripples Home Assistant. I have several devices of different brands that use Tuya, but I'm not buying anything new that depends on Tuya until we see how things shake out.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2007
2604 posts
504 upvotes
None of these connect to 5ghz? I read the Globe ones also weren't bright so I'm looking for other brands.
Aug 26, 2008
178 posts
72 upvotes
Barrie
Intenze wrote: I remember reviews saying the globe ones were not bright at all when colours are selected.

mtlboy wrote: None of these connect to 5ghz? I read the Globe ones also weren't bright so I'm looking for other brands.
I have the globes from Costco in our living room. They're on 3 lamps and quite bright at 100% on white. They work well. For color it's a gimmick. Not nearly bright enough to actually function as a light.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2011
1692 posts
1035 upvotes
The annoying thing with these cheap LED bulbs, is a lotta times the apps are not cross-brand... So you think you can maybe add it to whatever you already use, but then find out you'll need ANOTHER app on your phone. If you just want basic controls, running it through google home or alexa might be sufficient... But otherwise...

(Bulbs in my room use smart home, bulbs in my kitchen use the globe app, light strips in my bathroom use magic hue... Yeah, buying everything was cheap, but managing and organizing it is a big enough pain that i'd wished i had paid more to keep them all in the same control app)
I know, #firstworldproblems, but its still something that should be considered as you're buying these.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2007
2604 posts
504 upvotes
Corazu wrote: I have the globes from Costco in our living room. They're on 3 lamps and quite bright at 100% on white. They work well. For color it's a gimmick. Not nearly bright enough to actually function as a light.
How is it on a soft white setting like close to halogen color? I can't stand white for lumination.
Nov 14, 2017
266 posts
443 upvotes
The Nooie bulbs actually perform better than most other bulbs in their pricing category. There is an overview of them on YouTube:

Aug 26, 2008
178 posts
72 upvotes
Barrie
mtlboy wrote: How is it on a soft white setting like close to halogen color? I can't stand white for lumination.
I'll try tonight :) I get too much natural light in the living room to try it during the day.
Dec 5, 2018
307 posts
398 upvotes
Montreal
Scott86 wrote: The annoying thing with these cheap LED bulbs, is a lotta times the apps are not cross-brand... So you think you can maybe add it to whatever you already use, but then find out you'll need ANOTHER app on your phone. If you just want basic controls, running it through google home or alexa might be sufficient... But otherwise...

(Bulbs in my room use smart home, bulbs in my kitchen use the globe app, light strips in my bathroom use magic hue... Yeah, buying everything was cheap, but managing and organizing it is a big enough pain that i'd wished i had paid more to keep them all in the same control app)
I know, #firstworldproblems, but its still something that should be considered as you're buying these.
I have the Globo ones and 2 other different brands at home and even though Globo said to use their app I added them to the Smart life one and the work perfectly. I guess they all use the same firmware or come from the same fabric in China.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11737 posts
6926 upvotes
Paris
Intenze wrote: I remember reviews saying the globe ones were not bright at all when colours are selected.

I guess I would ask why you want your whole house illuminated in red and very bright red. I like them on my side table watching TV at night or gaming on a low blue option. At Christmas I turn them to red and green for nighttime TV watching.

My buddy has this dragon light we put in his gaming room and the bulb in there has a volcanic colour to it. Very cool for that application. Like this link but slightly nicer.

https://www.beautifulhalo.com/rust-fini ... 14QAvD_BwE
Aug 26, 2008
178 posts
72 upvotes
Barrie
I was debating getting 2 packs of these but the coupon is only a one-off so that made the decision easier for me. Oh well.
Dec 9, 2001
344 posts
75 upvotes
Oakville (Greater To…
JimmyC680 wrote: I have the Globo ones and 2 other different brands at home and even though Globo said to use their app I added them to the Smart life one and the work perfectly. I guess they all use the same firmware or come from the same fabric in China.
Scott86 wrote:
Interesting that Apps works across other Chinese brands. Is there a preferred app that people use? Like others wrote up there, I have multiple apps too, and would like to consolidate.

I have the Costco bulbs with the Globe app. The bulbs work well in white light mode. In colour mode, as many have pointed out, they are not as bright, but why would you want bright colour lights anyways? Colours are often used for accent -- eg. I use dim candlelight-yellow when watching a movie; dim bluish tone while watching Sci-fi

As a review of the Costco bulbs and Globe app:
One of my light bulbs flickers/brightens every 2-3 minutes. I will reset that bulb and check if it fixes the problem, else it is going back to Costco.
The app does not seem to follow some of my simple sunset-timed automatic routines. Again, I will erase and write new routines and check.
Aug 26, 2008
178 posts
72 upvotes
Barrie
mtlboy wrote: How is it on a soft white setting like close to halogen color? I can't stand white for lumination.
It's plenty bright at 2800k. 3200k. Also still plenty bright at 2k which is very orangey. All the colors are din though
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2010
1296 posts
1170 upvotes
Apparently it doesn't like wifi passwords that are >31 characters or have special characters? That's a hard pass for me, I'm not changing my wifi password on all my connected devices just for these.
Beep\Bop\Boop