• Last Updated:
  • Oct 30th, 2020 11:16 am
[OP]
Mar 16, 2008
378 posts
641 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] $420 Definitive Technology Prosub 1000 10" Subwoofer

A good sub for the price.
Very powerful amp at 300 RMS 600 peak, small footprint, cheaper than in the US. I own a Prosub 600 and a 800 (the 8" version).
The Prosub 800 has the same amp for $328 https://www.amazon.ca/Definitive-Techno ... ics&sr=1-2
Last edited by ChrisR on Oct 29th, 2020 4:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
21 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2018
6522 posts
20774 upvotes
Kitchener
Price in title please.
Phone: iPhone 8 64gb
Mar 7, 2011
404 posts
473 upvotes
Surrey, BC
ChrisR wrote: A good sub for the price.
Very powerful amp at 300 RMS 600 peak, small footprint, cheaper than in the US. I own a Prosub 600 and a 800 (the 8" version).
Not a bad price compared to RRSP which it has been for the past few months, but apparently it's been down as low as $316 in the past year. That'd be the time to buy!
Other than that I'm looking for a small sub to turn my 2.0 living rooms speakers into 2.1. But I don't know anything about this one.

https://charts.***************.com/ca/B ... =0&lang=en
Nov 3, 2005
476 posts
737 upvotes
Toronto
I wish they would include a frequency response graph... Supposedly 18 Hz – 150 kHz, but can't tell how good the response is with just that.
Banned
Sep 19, 2012
453 posts
770 upvotes
Edmonton
According to users of AVS Forum this sub's output nose dives to nothing below 35hz.

No way I'm paying over $400 for something that doesn't get below 35hz AND the manufacturer doesn't provide frequency response.
[OP]
Mar 16, 2008
378 posts
641 upvotes
mikered14 wrote: According to users of AVS Forum this sub's output nose dives to nothing below 35hz.

No way I'm paying over $400 for something that doesn't get below 35hz AND the manufacturer doesn't provide frequency response.
Small subwoofers make sense when you live in a condo, an apartment, anywhere where space is at a premium.
It's not designed to be earth shaking (although it gets really loud) but rather to complete a home theater with small speakers or a 2.1 system with 4" or 5" woofers.
Jan 11, 2010
307 posts
327 upvotes
I'm still waiting SVS PB-1000 to go on sale, come on Black Friday! Astonished Face
Banned
Sep 19, 2012
453 posts
770 upvotes
Edmonton
ChrisR wrote: Small subwoofers make sense when you live in a condo, an apartment, anywhere where space is at a premium.
It's not designed to be earth shaking (although it gets really loud) but rather to complete a home theater with small speakers or a 2.1 system with 4" or 5" woofers.
Why are you trying to sell me this sub?
This doesn't have to do with what I said.
I didn't mention space, vibrations, or volume.
Sep 13, 2009
248 posts
85 upvotes
mikered14 wrote: According to users of AVS Forum this sub's output nose dives to nothing below 35hz.

Unfortunately would need to pay quite a bit more to get a sub that goes below 35hz without significant output drop off.
Sep 13, 2009
248 posts
85 upvotes

Unfortunately would need to pay quite a bit more to get a sub that goes below 35hz without significant output drop off.
Banned
Sep 19, 2012
453 posts
770 upvotes
Edmonton
ssb24 wrote: Unfortunately would need to pay quite a bit more to get a sub that goes below 35hz without significant output drop off.
I didn't mean significant output drop off, I meant almost no output at all from what others have said.

Polk HTS12 is sold all day every day at a store in my city for $375.
[OP]
Mar 16, 2008
378 posts
641 upvotes
mikered14 wrote: I didn't mean significant output drop off, I meant almost no output at all from what others have said.

Polk HTS12 is sold all day every day at a store in my city for $375.
I have a Polk HTS 12 in my living room. It's twice as large and I'm having trouble with room modes, it sounds muddy at my place. Bigger is not necessarily better.
Banned
Sep 19, 2012
453 posts
770 upvotes
Edmonton
ChrisR wrote: I have a Polk HTS 12 in my living room. It's twice as large and I'm having trouble with room modes, it sounds muddy at my place. Bigger is not necessarily better.
You don't need to feel the need to lecture me.
Everything you've responded to me here and earlier I know.
I was simply giving an example of something in the same price that goes lower as apparently the other guy was unaware.
May 10, 2008
241 posts
150 upvotes
Toronto

My Definitive SuperCube 6000 is supposed to go down to 14hz, there's nothing below 30 though based on published measurements and also what I hear in my living room. Looks like their frequency ratings are marketing garbage in general.
Jul 14, 2019
619 posts
1045 upvotes
ChrisR wrote: I have a Polk HTS 12 in my living room. It's twice as large and I'm having trouble with room modes, it sounds muddy at my place. Bigger is not necessarily better.
Your sub probably sounds muddy it's because it's not calibrated or it's not in the right spot. Sometimes, the right spot for proper acoustics is in an undesirable place, which is where calibration comes into play.

The Sub and center channel do 80-90% of the work when someone is watching a movie, and most people don't bother to use room correction or set their sub up properly.

In any given room what happens is you have boomy spots (frequencies where bass is amplified) and nulls ( frequencies where bass sounds like it disappears). If you don't account for this either with placement or with good quality room correction, your sub will sound like crap. Proper room correction will smooth out those peaks and valleys in an otherwise acoustically poor room and make the sub sound amazing.

You can get enormous subs that sound tighter than a small 8" sub if one is calibrated and the other isn't. I cannot stress the importance of proper placement and calibration enough, it matters for all speakers but especially with a sub.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
6032 posts
2747 upvotes
Durham
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Nov 3, 2005
476 posts
737 upvotes
Toronto
Guyver99 wrote: I'm still waiting SVS PB-1000 to go on sale, come on Black Friday! Astonished Face
Me too! I have an 8" and have been waiting for this... I've been told that 2 inches make a big difference, so I need it!
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2009
2274 posts
1835 upvotes
Montreal
Sub location can be a factor.
[OP]
Mar 16, 2008
378 posts
641 upvotes
CanadaCPU wrote: Your sub probably sounds muddy it's because it's not calibrated or it's not in the right spot. Sometimes, the right spot for proper acoustics is in an undesirable place, which is where calibration comes into play.

The Sub and center channel do 80-90% of the work when someone is watching a movie, and most people don't bother to use room correction or set their sub up properly.

In any given room what happens is you have boomy spots (frequencies where bass is amplified) and nulls ( frequencies where bass sounds like it disappears). If you don't account for this either with placement or with good quality room correction, your sub will sound like crap. Proper room correction will smooth out those peaks and valleys in an otherwise acoustically poor room and make the sub sound amazing.

You can get enormous subs that sound tighter than a small 8" sub if one is calibrated and the other isn't. I cannot stress the importance of proper placement and calibration enough, it matters for all speakers but especially with a sub.
Audyssey was turned off!!! I turned it on and rerun the calibration. It's night and day, thank you
Jan 12, 2007
438 posts
117 upvotes
I paid $220 for this one as a warehouse item. It's pretty decent in a small room.