Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

47.99 Kingston Digital A400 SSD 240GB SATA 3 2.5” Solid State Drive SA400S37/240G - Increase Performance

Jan 27, 2013
965 posts
1340 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] 47.99 Kingston Digital A400 SSD 240GB SATA 3 2.5” Solid State Drive SA400S37/240G - Increase Performance

Not the best price, but if you need it
Last edited by MakeItCheap on Nov 14th, 2018 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
13 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2006
2279 posts
2192 upvotes
Please put price in the title.
Thanks.
“Ninety percent of all human wisdom is the ability to mind your own business.”
— Robert A. Heinlein
Mar 7, 2011
675 posts
472 upvotes
Winnipeg
imoo2u wrote: Please put price in the title.
Thanks.
No kidding
Guess he perhaps couldnt decide where or if and what words to remove
Tricky stuff, posting and including important and relevant info on a forum for good deals. Item, store, price. Gee wizz. They should make a checklist for these type of people or enable a "slow mode" where it breaks down a template for them with required fields.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2005
2160 posts
141 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Kingston PR and marketing is peddling this particular drive and model fierce to many online stores. Amazon, Newegg, Mikescomputers, Canadacomputers, Memoryexpress, etc.

I expect the price to be $39.99 on Black Friday and $44.99 on Cyber Monday.
Pepsi: First a XBox360, then a Samsung 40" LCD HDTV, then a Sony Ericsson W300i, then a Samsung 32" LCD HDTV, then a ...

Coke: What!? This isn't a $2249 Dell Inspiron 6000! It's an entry level $899 laptop! But hey, thanks for the two Nintendo Wii's!
Jul 13, 2006
278 posts
81 upvotes
$44.99 @ Newegg on Ebay: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Kingston-A400-2 ... 1777414211

I know there's been lots of discussion about the performance of this drive, and personally I would put something better in a modern system.

BUT would this be a solid performer as an upgrade to a 2009 iMac? As far as I know it only has a SATA II port, so what would be the bottleneck: The drive or the SATA interface? In other words RFD, would this be a good buy for an older Mac?
Nov 7, 2017
616 posts
498 upvotes
morden wrote: $44.99 @ Newegg on Ebay: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Kingston-A400-2 ... 1777414211

I know there's been lots of discussion about the performance of this drive, and personally I would put something better in a modern system.

BUT would this be a solid performer as an upgrade to a 2009 iMac? As far as I know it only has a SATA II port, so what would be the bottleneck: The drive or the SATA interface? In other words RFD, would this be a good buy for an older Mac?
I have this SSD for 2 years already. no issues. Performance is normal as well
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
4080 posts
7024 upvotes
GTA North
bobitto wrote: I have this SSD for 2 years already. no issues. Performance is normal as well
What are the specifics of your setup temp/on/off time?? I'm alway curious how peoples setups are. I see it a bit like a car. One person may have it for 2 yrs and the same for the other person but one may be hard on driving it while the other isn't....along with terrain/temps/mileage.

ie: Room temp 21, on 6-10hrs per day, off 14-18hrs
...Location: GTA North
If this post has helped you please click the 'THANKS' button.
GTA Grocery Highlights (updated weekly) thread
[WTB] Looking for a Netbook for $150 or under (~$100)
Nov 26, 2011
110 posts
43 upvotes
GTA East
morden wrote: $44.99 @ Newegg on Ebay: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Kingston-A400-2 ... 1777414211

Well what is the *actual* throughput of your current drive, and how does that compare to the theoretical limit of sata II?

As a general rule, an upgrade to ssd from platter almost always results in an appreciable perf boost.
May 8, 2012
183 posts
359 upvotes
this ssd is great for the price (well, i bought mine used for $30..) i use it as my main drive and my computer boots to desktop in 4 seconds.
Nov 7, 2017
616 posts
498 upvotes
thedealhunter2000 wrote: What are the specifics of your setup temp/on/off time?? I'm alway curious how peoples setups are. I see it a bit like a car. One person may have it for 2 yrs and the same for the other person but one may be hard on driving it while the other isn't....along with terrain/temps/mileage.

ie: Room temp 21, on 6-10hrs per day, off 14-18hrs
My PC switched on 24/7. SSD is used for OS, software and few games.
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
12742 posts
25705 upvotes
Montreal

Yes, the bottleneck would be the Sata II at a theoretical 375 MBps so in that example ANY SSD would perform the same, even the cheapest ones. It would be pointless to buy anything else. The iMac might die before the SSD.

……….……….…..

Check out this RFD thread: $15 (total) for 3 months of Unlimited Cellular service (Voice/Texts) + 8 GB LTE Data (each month) + Canada/USA coverage = a $150+ value @90% Off!
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8938 upvotes
Toronto

For a 2009 iMac your two options are internal SSD but installing it isn’t for the faint of heart. You also will need special parts to ensure proper fan function in the iMac. The other alternative is to use a FireWire 800 enclosure (externally powered preferred). I ran a 2010 iMac for over a year on a FireWire 800 Samsung 850 EVO SSD and it was OK, until I bought a 2017 27” 5K iMac with 1 TB PCIe SSD. Now I use the 2010 27” 2.5K iMac as an external monitor for my 2017 iMac.

However, these days those FireWire 800
enclosures are not easy to find and generally are not cheap. Or you can pay a tech to install it internally if you want it internal but don’t want to install that yourself.

Performance should be fine but see below for more info.
Temporel wrote: Yes, the bottleneck would be the Sata II at a theoretical 375 MBps so in that example ANY SSD would perform the same, even the cheapest ones. It would be pointless to buy anything else. The iMac might die before the SSD.
That is not correct. Perceived performance is most dependent upon random access speeds, which is often significantly lower than SATA II speeds on many SSDs. So, the slower / cheaper SSDs often feel slower than the faster ones even on slower Macs. In fact, depending upon the drives compared you can often notice the difference in decade old Core 2 Duo based machines. I’ve tested slow vs moderately fast SSDs on a 2008 2.0 GHz C2D MacBook and a 2009 2.26 GHz C2D MacBook Pro and it made a significant difference on both.

Fortunately random/write speeds on the Kingston A400 are reasonable so it should make a decent upgrade to the 2009 iMac. There are a lot of SSDs out there though that perform significantly worse though.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)