Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] 500ft Solid Shielded (STP) CAT6A Bulk Ethernet Cable - Blue

[OP]
May 31, 2009
47 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto

[Amazon Canada] 500ft Solid Shielded (STP) CAT6A Bulk Ethernet Cable - Blue

This seems like a good deal on 500ft Cat6A network cable. The cable is shielded.
Last edited by pcampan on Apr 10th, 2019 8:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
8 replies
Apr 18, 2017
241 posts
406 upvotes
Isn't this the same as the $79-89 options on Primecables?
[OP]
May 31, 2009
47 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto
You're probably right, thanks for letting me know.
[OP]
May 31, 2009
47 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto
Not sure that the shielded is worth the price difference but I couldn't find a shielded solution for this price.
Apr 18, 2017
241 posts
406 upvotes
pcampan wrote:
Apr 10th, 2019 8:21 pm
Not sure that the shielded is worth the price difference but I couldn't find a shielded solution for this price.
Oh, your right I missed that. I wired my house with Cat 5e, unshielded from Prime Cables. Haven't had any issues, but I'm not sure if it makes a big enough difference with 6a.
Dec 7, 2012
211 posts
195 upvotes
Kelowna
For home applications, unshielded cable is fine. By design, the twisted pairs of wires inside provide some resistance to electromagnetic and radio-frequency interference; shielded twisted pair (STP) has its applications in areas with lots of EMI and RFI, like hospitals, power stations, etcetera, but is probably overkill at home.

Also, STP is essentially useless if your ethernet jack isn't grounded as well.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
6453 posts
1148 upvotes
Mont-Royal
Wallzii wrote:
Apr 10th, 2019 9:16 pm
For home applications, unshielded cable is fine. By design, the twisted pairs of wires inside provide some resistance to electromagnetic and radio-frequency interference; shielded twisted pair (STP) has its applications in areas with lots of EMI and RFI, like hospitals, power stations, etcetera, but is probably overkill at home.

Also, STP is essentially useless if your ethernet jack isn't grounded as well.
ethernet can be grounded?
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101
Dec 7, 2012
211 posts
195 upvotes
Kelowna
L4cky wrote:
Apr 10th, 2019 10:51 pm
ethernet can be grounded?
Not ethernet cable, no, as that could cause a ground loop creating more interference. Ethernet cable can be shielded, but the shielding needs to be terminated at a shielded RJ45 jack that is itself grounded properly; otherwise, in addition to STP being useless at home, it is equally useless if it is not terminated properly.