• Last Updated:
  • Jul 18th, 2020 12:52 am
[OP]
Banned
May 30, 2013
255 posts
643 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] $59.92: Presto 08810 Professional Electric Knife Sharpener

Presto 08810 Professional Electric Knife Sharpener. Looks like a good professional electric knife sharpener based on the great reviews (4.4 stars out of 2196 ratings). ON SALE for $59.92, selling for around $100 elsewhere
91hwDoszAXL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
  • The product is Professional Ever sharp, Electric Knife Sharpener, 3 Stage Sharpening System For Professional Results At Home
  • Easy to use
  • The product is manufactured in China
Last edited by Mars2012 on Jan 1st, 2021 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: non-rfd affiliate link removed
6 replies
Jun 20, 2020
36 posts
102 upvotes
You’re honestly better off paying someone to sharpen your knives properly. These do the job, but if you have a nice knife, it will slowly ruin it.

Or learn to use a whetstone!
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2007
2274 posts
666 upvotes
How this compare with Costco deal from earlier today? (Which I bought).
May 30, 2016
446 posts
487 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Hemustbeaboss wrote: You’re honestly better off paying someone to sharpen your knives properly. These do the job, but if you have a nice knife, it will slowly ruin it.

I mean I assume the people who own $200+ knives (and I mean per knife) already know this. These machines do great at sharpening those $200 knife block knives.
Dec 20, 2019
614 posts
2371 upvotes
Bikini Bottom
Hemustbeaboss wrote: These do the job, but if you have a nice knife, it will slowly ruin it.

Sorry what is the basis for this statement? From my understanding, every single high volume manufactured knife is sharpened with an electrical device... It's not like you can wear down the chunk of metal to a nub... As long as you have the proper angle, I see no issues. It just won't be as sharp as on a whet stone.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
2595 posts
2120 upvotes
GTA West
I have an older version of the Presto knife sharpener which was made in the US. I don't like it because while it sharpens one side of the knife smoothly, the knife chatters on the grindstone when sharpening the other side. This is for both the coarse stone and the fine stone.

(Mine has two stones while this one has three.)
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28914 posts
14452 upvotes
Patrickpete wrote: Sorry what is the basis for this statement? From my understanding, every single high volume manufactured knife is sharpened with an electrical device... It's not like you can wear down the chunk of metal to a nub...
Depends on how often you do it.
I have a couple slicing knives that are about 3/4 the original.
Even then it's years of use and continual sharpening.

So in essence I don't disagree with your statement (especially since I use electric sharpeners myself because I'm lazy) but you can for sure wear down your knife.
As long as you have the proper angle, I see no issues. It just won't be as sharp as on a whet stone.
To be fair, this is true on a whet stone too. That's why they sell angle guides.
Also if you're just starting with a stone, you're probably gonna dull your knife before you get good enough to actually sharpen it.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.