• Last Updated:
  • Aug 2nd, 2020 10:01 am
Nov 17, 2013
827 posts
140 upvotes
WINNIPEG
how did your father in law burn down the kitchen? Sorry to hear
FooNdaR wrote: 100%

My father in law burned his kitchen down (mistake) and in speaking with firefighter and insurance adjuster they both said nothing really matters. The example they used is if you lit a candle next to a curtain and it burns your house down you’ll still get paid out.
The only way you wouldn’t is if an accelerant was used.
Nov 17, 2013
827 posts
140 upvotes
WINNIPEG
what big brand dependable would you recommend? would it be found at homedepot?
bhrm wrote: I would avoid anything electrical that's higher voltage/amperage that isn't big branded
A house fire is the last thing I want for 2020.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2004
1585 posts
988 upvotes
vrredflag wrote: how did your father in law burn down the kitchen? Sorry to hear
Trying to thaw a frozen pipe with a torch in his crawl space. No injuries, and they got a new kitchen out of it, but thanks.
Aug 22, 2019
57 posts
28 upvotes
I bought some of these tri-lights, (plastic ones, different brand) and they made a huge difference in my unfinished basement. Going to get more soon for the garage.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
3738 posts
1755 upvotes
vrredflag wrote: what big brand dependable would you recommend? would it be found at homedepot?
I haven't seen this particular style product in big box stores yet, but to be honest, I rather buy those LED garage lights they always have for sale at $15-20 and chain link them.
Jul 13, 2007
133 posts
28 upvotes
Kitchener-Waterloo, …
paaji wrote: I bought the similar ones from homedepot they were around 19.99 CE brand
With what everyone's saying about unbranded merchandise, I tried looking for a similar one from Home Depot and found this:

As Seen On Tv TriBurst 10.5 in. 144 High Intensity LED 4000 Lumens Flush Mount Ceiling Light with 3 Adjustable Heads - $39.98
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/as-see ... 1001538547
Feb 25, 2004
742 posts
267 upvotes
Longueuil
WikkiWikki wrote: Can we see some proof of that?

You move into a house, previous owners installed something like this and it causes a fire, and no insurance for you?. Who here has bought a house and checked everything electrical in the house they purchase thats its UL certified?
On top of that, it is impossible to check for sure since nothing prevents them from printing the logo even if they are not certified. While CE is a self certification and doesn't apply here, you can see a bunch of fake CE logos on items (when the C and the E are too close together it is a fake one but even a properly copied logo can be a fake certification).
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
Aug 30, 2015
595 posts
326 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
JEDI Force wrote: On top of that, it is impossible to check for sure since nothing prevents them from printing the logo even if they are not certified. While CE is a self certification and doesn't apply here, you can see a bunch of fake CE logos on items (when the C and the E are too close together it is a fake one but even a properly copied logo can be a fake certification).
not fake, just a different organization (China Export). I am pretty sure the similarities are just a coincidence 🤣

https://starfishmedical.com/assets/Comp ... _marks.png
Oct 28, 2011
105 posts
50 upvotes
Toronto
I checked HD before I pulled the trigger on mine. They had one model of this type of "fan blade" LEDs and they were hella expensive, and esp not motion activated. I couldn't find the specific bulb I saw on HD website, but IIRC they were from Philips. I think they were 45W (~$45) and 60W (~$90).
Deal Addict
May 8, 2008
1279 posts
258 upvotes
Ontario
for the price it's good, i bought an older version from " Myteaworld " on amazon. It's very bright. I hooked it up with a fixture with a pull switch in my garage