Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] $64 Silicon Power 512GB SSD 3D NAND TLC A58 Performance Boost SATA III 2.5" 7mm (0.28") Internal Solid State Drive

[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2005
1304 posts
273 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] $64 Silicon Power 512GB SSD 3D NAND TLC A58 Performance Boost SATA III 2.5" 7mm (0.28") Internal Solid State Drive

Free shipping too.

Is this a good deal for SATA? I'm not interested in NVMe since I have no more slots.
Last edited by shopper_of_things on Jul 29th, 2020 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
9 replies
Sep 27, 2013
387 posts
478 upvotes
price in title please for saving one more click for everyone!...
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2005
1960 posts
689 upvotes
Montréal, QC
Temporel wrote: It's cheap, but the Silicon Power A58 is DRAMless.

It would be good for storage but for a system drive, the Crucial MX500 500 GB for $86 would be better because it has DRAM.
Does DRAM makes a difference if I'm going to use it in a PS4 Pro?
Jul 18, 2019
106 posts
53 upvotes
Ontario
Looks alright ... but never bought SSD from SP before.

I bought a CompactFlash CF card from them before and it still works. 2012
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2011
1066 posts
416 upvotes
Brandon
Clee wrote: Does DRAM makes a difference if I'm going to use it in a PS4 Pro?
Some solid-state drives (SSDs) have included dynamic random-access memory (DRAM) in their controller to improve input/output (I/O) performance and endurance. DRAM in the controller is usually used for temporarily keeping data that have been read from flash memory, data to be written to flash memory, or an address mapping table, and it has been regarded as a necessary component of SSDs
Sep 8, 2014
556 posts
1722 upvotes
I just returned this drive. Did several Crystal Disk Marks with it and as a STORAGE DRIVE, it was terrible. My assumptions are the "SLC Cache technology" is 4GB. I was transferring a few 10+ GB .mkv files to this drive and it would start out fine at ~350MB/s but after a few seconds would trail off to ~50MB/s. If you do a CDM with the default 1GB size, it hits over 500MB/s WRITE. If you change the drop down box to 8GB, I would see 50MB/s. If you're fine with your SSD writing at 50MB/s on files larger than 4GB, then this drive would be fine. Read speeds were excellent regardless of file size. Write speeds are CRIPPLED after 4GB.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2010
1335 posts
674 upvotes
Surrey
Very tempting as a storage/media/game drive but I think it has to be cheaper considering how cheap the good brand drives are now. I'd get it if it was sub $40 or if it was 1TB.

Most of the time writes aren't that important because you are limited by your internet downloading speeds. Reading speed is what's important over 95-99% of the times.
0 tolerance for BS.

If I downvote, chances are it's less about the deal, and more about OP's inability to take criticism and constantly favoring their deal due to their ego.

A fool and his money are soon parted.
Sep 5, 2015
206 posts
641 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Last year it was $55 that is when I had bought it from Amazon. So this year, it should be $50 or below to call it a deal.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)