Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] $69.99 Samsung 980 Series - 500GB PCIe Gen3. X4 NVMe 1.4 - M.2 Internal SSD (MZ-V8V500B/AM)

[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2020
4658 posts
4443 upvotes
Toronto

[Amazon.ca] $69.99 Samsung 980 Series - 500GB PCIe Gen3. X4 NVMe 1.4 - M.2 Internal SSD (MZ-V8V500B/AM)

Deal link: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08V7GT6F3/
Manufacturer link: https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/m ... sumer/980/
Screenshot_20210611-011127.png

The Samsung SSD 980 (500GB & 1TB) Review: Samsung's Entry NVMe
The new Samsung SSD 980 is the first retail-ready entry-level NVMe SSD from Samsung. Compared to previous SSDs from Samsung, it lacks any three-letter suffix at the end: it's not a PRO, nor an EVO, or even a QVO drive, because it doesn't fit into the established conventions for those product tiers. The SSD 980 slots into the product stack at the bottom, but leaves a big enough gap for another, possibly better, model to come in later. Samsung is marketing the SSD 980 as a successor to the 970 EVO.

The SSD 980 is an entry-level NVMe SSD, using TLC NAND with a DRAMless controller. This makes it a new class of product for Samsung in the retail market, one it has never produced before. This kind of drive, with TLC and without DRAM, is already prevalent in the market from other turn-key solution vendors, and this type of drive has been quite popular with OEMs: it allows them to advertise a NVMe SSD without paying the cost of a high-end drive.
Thread Summary
See how the Samsung 980 stacks up to others in RFD Reviews' list of the best SSDs for your devices!
26 replies
Mar 8, 2017
187 posts
375 upvotes
Is this worth getting this over the SN550? I want to get the 1 tb SN550 for 130, but i like the samsung migration software that comes with samsung drives. I could work with this one if other migration software aren't as good as samsung's one.

Edit : looking to upgrade my 250 gb OS drive.
Last edited by dalex100 on Jun 11th, 2021 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
3272 posts
784 upvotes
the 250gb is $64.99 lol

this is a great price. i don't need it but just wanna buy it...
RFD is bad for your wallet's health 😂
Feb 9, 2017
39 posts
35 upvotes
Dhanushan wrote: Got two downvotes for "Not a good price"

Q: What is a good price for this item?
Not one of the persons that downvoted, but the OP got me to do a little research on the drive.
From AnandTech's Samsung 980 review:
"Compared to its most important competitor, the year-old WD Blue SN550, the Samsung SSD 980 clearly hits better highs but also has more serious pitfalls. Both drives are DRAMless SSDs optimized for workloads that don't handle too much data at once. When a workload strays outside those limits, the WD Blue SN550 is the clear winner that holds up better under heavier workloads. Which of the two drives is preferable will largely come down to pricing."
I'm guessing the downvotes came from the drive not being price competitive at the moment since the SN550 500GB is $5 cheaper right now.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
5850 posts
2391 upvotes
Debtario
No DRAM, no care.

Agreed with previous poster, this drive is not worthy of its name. Really gotta research each model, you'd think 980 > 970 but they've cut corners.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2006
1911 posts
1766 upvotes
Alberta
Dhanushan wrote: Got two downvotes for "Not a good price"

Q: What is a good price for this item?
Let it go man, it's not a vanity contest when posting deals on RFD....people will down vote for any reason....and sometimes for no reason.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
19171 posts
22025 upvotes
@Dhanushan is a top shelf poster, gents. He's efficiently concise, non-judgmental, persistently helpful, and sources his claims more than almost anyone else.

This is technically a bargain basement price for a new PCIe 3.0 drive under the 980 line.

... Yes, I think it's a bad offering, but read more below ...

Samsung thought they could pull a fast one, but the deeper-dive reviews on the 980 revealed it's weaknesses beyond the superficial sequential transfer claims.

We're all wiser for the exchange that happened in this thread.

Live and learn.
Nov 29, 2011
929 posts
1131 upvotes
thanks for posting OP.

i've noticed even the best deals always get at least 2 downvotes. i seriously started wondering if it was always the same 2 users? lol
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2020
4658 posts
4443 upvotes
Toronto
fluidmax wrote: Let it go man, it's not a vanity contest when posting deals on RFD....people will down vote for any reason....and sometimes for no reason.
Deleted my post since I got my answer.

Thanks @redflagdealsguy for your support and kind words.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5412 posts
3507 upvotes
Toronto
gotglint wrote: thanks for posting OP.

i've noticed even the best deals always get at least 2 downvotes. i seriously started wondering if it was always the same 2 users? lol
I really wouldn't consider this one of the best deals. The drive's direct competitor is $5 cheaper and we have more data on the reliability of that drive. This is an ok price for this drive, not hot or cold. It only seems hot because of Samsung's inflated pricing.
Nov 29, 2011
929 posts
1131 upvotes
Jep4444 wrote: I really wouldn't consider this one of the best deals. The drive's direct competitor is $5 cheaper and we have more data on the reliability of that drive. This is an ok price for this drive, not hot or cold. It only seems hot because of Samsung's inflated pricing.
i was not implying that this is one of the best deals
Jan 13, 2009
962 posts
431 upvotes
WOW, amazing price. Too bad I already upgraded recently.
Aug 22, 2010
56 posts
46 upvotes
Ottawa
elfion wrote: WOW, amazing price. Too bad I already upgraded recently.
It's really not though. I'm just replying -- as others have -- so as few people reflex buy as possible because it seems like a great deal until you realize it's a right-priced entry level nvme with a name that looks better than the product actually is.
Dec 8, 2019
143 posts
203 upvotes
Meh. Much better drives like the Kingston A2000 and the WD Black SN750 frequently goes on sale for the same / similar prices.

Or, if you’re okay with the compromises of a DRAM-less drive, just go with the WD Blue SN550 and save a few bucks.
May 3, 2021
1 posts
it seems Samsung 980 has a better performance than WD Blue SN550... I just bought SN550 for 69.99 last week, and the customer service said that amazon wouldn't do the price match anymore.. sad...
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
6694 posts
1276 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Quite a step down from previous versions. I guess this is why it's not a "Evo" drive.
There's a sucker born every minute.