• Jan 26th, 2019 11:17 pm
[OP]
Sep 4, 2018
7 posts
28 upvotes

[Amazon Canada] $69.99 TP-Link Smart 3-Way Switch Kit

Don’t forget 8% from Ebates

Amazon.ca Product Description
The HS210 Smart Switch Kit makes it easy to replace traditional 3-way switches commonly found in living rooms, halls, or stairways where 2 switches control the same light. The HS210 kit includes 2 smart switches specially designed to work together with 3-way switch wiring. There’s no need to be an expert on complex 3-way switch wiring or confusing master vs. auxiliary smart switch settings. The Kasa app guides you through each step of the installation, connecting to your home Wi-Fi, and providing control from anywhere. For convenient hands- free controls it easily connects with Amazon Echo or Google Assistant voice assistants.
57 replies
Jun 3, 2016
168 posts
43 upvotes
Ajax Ont.
What if you have three switches that control the hallway lights could I just wire two smart 3way switches and leave the third switch as normal will this work without any issues.
With time, everything will go on sale...
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2017
1322 posts
714 upvotes
Calgary
Jaegerjaque wrote:
Jan 19th, 2019 6:05 pm
What if you have three switches that control the hallway lights could I just wire two smart 3way switches and leave the third switch as normal will this work without any issues.
I thought that's called a 4-way switch? Am I wrong?
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
2183 posts
825 upvotes
Jaegerjaque wrote:
Black Question Mark OrnamentBlack Question Mark OrnamentBlack Question Mark Ornament
"A Eruchîn, ú-dano i faelas a hyn an uben tanatha le faelas!" -- Aragorn
Hath no loyalty to any ISP, for you shall receive none!
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2025 posts
1372 upvotes
SW Ontario
Jaegerjaque wrote:
I have that same exact scenario in my house, and the middle switch of the 3 switches has to be a 4-way switch, with each of the others being a 3-way in order for it to work.
Now other than the middle 4-way switch, the other 2 could be 3-way smart switches ... but given only any one of the switches needs to be "switched", I would only install one smart 3-way switch to control toggling the lights OFF and ON ... using two on the same circuit is overkill I think, but I haven't tried it yet (it's on my TO DO list still).
Apr 12, 2017
106 posts
109 upvotes
Saskatoon, SK
The "Amazon Warehouse" has some "Used - Very Good" packages in stock for $60.89. Might be worth it to save an extra $9. I'm hoping the warehouse stuff stacks with ebates too!
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
3092 posts
2520 upvotes
Jaegerjaque wrote:
You in that case have 2 three way switches and one 4 way switch.

If you replace ONE of the 3 way switches with this smart switch you are good to go.

You can use the other 3 way smart switch that comes with this kit for another circuit.

Note you MUST have a neutral present to use these.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
3092 posts
2520 upvotes
Jojo_Madman wrote:
Jan 19th, 2019 7:04 pm
I have that same exact scenario in my house, and the middle switch of the 3 switches has to be a 4-way switch, with each of the others being a 3-way in order for it to work.
Now other than the middle 4-way switch, the other 2 could be 3-way smart switches ... but given only any one of the switches needs to be "switched", I would only install one smart 3-way switch to control toggling the lights OFF and ON ... using two on the same circuit is overkill I think, but I haven't tried it yet (it's on my TO DO list still).
No reason to use both switches on the same circuit.

I have a used a single switch on each of two separate 3 way circuits with zero problems.
Jun 3, 2016
168 posts
43 upvotes
Ajax Ont.
repatch wrote:
Jan 20th, 2019 11:34 am
No reason to use both switches on the same circuit.

I have a used a single switch on each of two separate 3 way circuits with zero problems.
So in that case if there are four switches in a circuit I'm assuming you would need only one 4-way smart switch and rest of the three switches can be normal?
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2005
1322 posts
378 upvotes
Not sure about these switches in particular, but don't most smart switches require replacing all the switches on the circuit? The GE ones I used in my stairwell (which work nicely) specifically stated that I had to replace both switches. One was a master switch and one was a slave.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
3092 posts
2520 upvotes
zero64 wrote:
Jan 20th, 2019 12:17 pm
Not sure about these switches in particular, but don't most smart switches require replacing all the switches on the circuit? The GE ones I used in my stairwell (which work nicely) specifically stated that I had to replace both switches. One was a master switch and one was a slave.
I can't comment on others.

These do NOT require replacement of every switch on a circuit, despite the documentation.

I have 2 three way circuits with only one of these switches in it, and everything works fine. In fact, one of those three way circuits has a manual dimmer on the other end, works fine with that too.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
3092 posts
2520 upvotes
Jaegerjaque wrote:
Jan 20th, 2019 12:16 pm
So in that case if there are four switches in a circuit I'm assuming you would need only one 4-way smart switch and rest of the three switches can be normal?
I have never heard of a 4 way smart switch.

All you have to do is identify which switch on the circuit is a 3 way, and replace that one.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2015
1061 posts
874 upvotes
Alberta
I use a single one of these 3-way switches in my front entrance chandelier circuit that is controlled from 3 locations. And I just use one of these in another three 3-way circuits as others have said. No need to replaced all the switches in any circuit. Just add "smart control" to each circuit with one switch.
Jun 3, 2016
168 posts
43 upvotes
Ajax Ont.
I just purchased it from Staples.ca with the $25 off $75 coupon I got in mail last week, with the filler item total with tax came to $56.70
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2012
1251 posts
364 upvotes
Hamilton, Ontario
According to the reviews it no longer supports itfff.

Also, according to reviews, led bulbs are not supported, only incandescent bulbs. I do not know anyone who still buys incandescent bulbs.
Last edited by facebook259 on Jan 21st, 2019 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.