[Amazon.ca] $8.14 Old Mountain Cast Iron Lattice Trivet, 8-Inch

• Last Updated:
  • May 26th, 2020 12:38 pm
[OP]
Mar 1, 2014
570 posts
670 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] $8.14 Old Mountain Cast Iron Lattice Trivet, 8-Inch

Cast iron trivet to rest your cast iron stuff on.
12 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2003
1556 posts
164 upvotes
Downtown Toronto
Curious why a cast iron trivet is better than one of those cheap $2.00 pot coasters?
Mar 2, 2008
973 posts
1345 upvotes
Blips & Chitz
ChiGGz wrote: Curious why a cast iron trivet is better than one of those cheap $2.00 pot coasters?
For a countertop? Looks, that's about it. These are great for cooking on wood/pellet stoves.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2012
1266 posts
357 upvotes
Barrie
ChiGGz wrote: Curious why a cast iron trivet is better than one of those cheap $2.00 pot coasters?
Easier to use for camping.
Dec 3, 2005
688 posts
666 upvotes
S
soupmaster666 wrote: Per the reviews it does not have protective feet - just little cast iron pegs sticking out the bottom.
That's correct. I have it and it's all iron. No rubber feet.
Dec 3, 2005
688 posts
666 upvotes
S
Higher temperature.
I recently bought a roccbox oven, and the first time I took out a cast iron pan from the oven to rest, it melted my oven-safe silicon mat and glued it to the bottom. I immediately ordered this old mountain trivet.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
44367 posts
4946 upvotes
Richmond Hill
MELPOMENE wrote: That's correct. I have it and it's all iron. No rubber feet.
That might be a problem for insulation, while the cast iron can withstand heat, it is also a conductor and the legs getting hot may scorch the countertop or whatever surface you're using it on.
Artisan woodworker crafting live edge tables, end grain cutting boards, and other home decor
Silver Coins | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio | Heatware
Dec 7, 2012
217 posts
404 upvotes
MELPOMENE wrote: Higher temperature.
I recently bought a roccbox oven, and the first time I took out a cast iron pan from the oven to rest, it melted my oven-safe silicon mat and glued it to the bottom. I immediately ordered this old mountain trivet.
How did that smell?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
6738 posts
3140 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Jon Lai wrote: That might be a problem for insulation, while the cast iron can withstand heat, it is also a conductor and the legs getting hot may scorch the countertop or whatever surface you're using it on.
Not to worry.
Cast iron is a relatively poor heat conductor within metal. It gets a bit warm, but not hot.
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
How to setup PAP in Tangerine
Nov 1, 2017
834 posts
327 upvotes
Price has gone up
I wonder if I can use this to sear meat over the charcoal chimney
Jan 10, 2017
296 posts
220 upvotes
MELPOMENE wrote: Higher temperature.
That’s like a silicone s’mores. How do you like the roccbox? Been debating between it and a ooni.
Jan 10, 2017
296 posts
220 upvotes
PerformingAzura wrote: Price has gone up
I wonder if I can use this to sear meat over the charcoal chimney
The trivet is untreated so any moisture hitting it will end up in rust, as it’s also not perfectly flat (the design) you won’t get that perfect sear. So it will work but it’s not optimal esp long term due to it being untreated.

I think I paid $60 something for my Weber cast iron insert and it still looks good after years of usage including right above the chimney.
Dec 3, 2005
688 posts
666 upvotes
S
keddie2 wrote: That’s like a silicone s’mores. How do you like the roccbox? Been debating between it and a ooni.
Roccbox works as advertised. Excellent product overall.
I chose roccbox because of better build quality and insulation.