$84.99 - ARCANITE 512GB USB 3.1 Flash Drive

• Last Updated:
  • May 23rd, 2021 4:38 pm
[OP]
Jan 10, 2019
40 posts
25 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] $84.99 - ARCANITE 512GB USB 3.1 Flash Drive

ATL according to 3C. Great read/write speeds.

Interface : Superspeed USB 3.1 GEN 1 Type-A Connector (backwards compatible with USB 3.0, 2.0 & 1.1)
Specification : Made in Taiwan, dustproof, shockproof, temperature resistant / Size : 2.23 × 0.71 × 0.35 in
Plug & play : Use on the go with Read Speeds up to 400mb/s, Write Speeds up to 200mb/s. Actual transfer speeds will depend on operation environment, computer equipment and other factors
Recommended Use : Storing documents, pictures, videos
System Compatibility : Devices with USB Type-A Connector. Windows 10 / 8 / 7 Vista, etc Mac OS 10.X and later
Images
  • Screenshot_1.png
3 replies
Aug 16, 2007
62 posts
69 upvotes
Montreal
I have this device and I'm not approaching the specs in terms of transfer speed, even after a reformat and testing on multiple computers/multiple USB types ports. My READ values can reach 400MB/s, but drop to less than 25MB/s for smaller chunks. My WRITES are abysmal at less than 50MB/s. The device simply can not sustain the high speed and drops to a crawl... I use it for backups only.

I read that the PNY Pro Elite 512GB could be a better alternative @ $84.17, but I have not tested it... yet:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01E17LOL6/?co ... _lig_dp_it
😎
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2017
1363 posts
699 upvotes
GTA
belmichel wrote: I have this device and I'm not approaching the specs in terms of transfer speed, even after a reformat and testing on multiple computers/multiple USB types ports. My READ values can reach 400MB/s, but drop to less than 25MB/s for smaller chunks. My WRITES are abysmal at less than 50MB/s. The device simply can not sustain the high speed and drops to a crawl... I use it for backups only.
Sounds like the symptoms of overheating, which is an issue with a lot of high-speed usb's or compact slim ones too.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
21141 posts
25101 upvotes
MadCanadian wrote: Sounds like the symptoms of overheating, which is an issue with a lot of high-speed usb's or compact slim ones too.
Nope, I own this drive, it's a good value at $85.

What I normally do is zip the folder I want to move, which is a quick operation on the computer in question. The transfer then proceeds at between 300mb/s and 400mb/s.

This drive slows down on numerous small file chunks, otherwise it's excellent value for money.

The PNY drive was an alternative, an excellent deal at $70, but it appears to be OOS now. People were arguing while stock in the PNY drive was flying, classic RFD.

Would I recommend the Arcanite? I still use mine alongside the Sandisk. I think the Arcanite is excellent if you take a minute or two to zip your ultra-sized folder. Arcanite allows me to offloads tens of gigs quickly via the zip method. It's a godsend that way.

The Sandisk Extreme PRO USB 3.2 is the best of all worlds but it's expensive, I bought it as my new primary.