Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

$87.63 - Orbit B-hyve 21004 Smart Hose Faucet Timer with Wi-Fi Hub (reg. $101)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 14th, 2021 3:17 pm
[OP]
Nov 28, 2020
2 posts
13 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] $87.63 - Orbit B-hyve 21004 Smart Hose Faucet Timer with Wi-Fi Hub (reg. $101)

Around $87 and free shipping for this great hose sprinkler timer. This is the lowest I have seen since an year. At times, the price went beyond $150!
Images
  • bhyve.JPG
18 replies
Feb 1, 2012
665 posts
342 upvotes
Montreal
Good deal OP.
Oh dang.

Resisting the urge.
Apr 30, 2008
859 posts
435 upvotes
Toronto
As a warning to potential buyers - these water hose timers create a serious "water hammer" effect on your pipes. If you've ever shut off any water valve in your house and you've heard your pipes "shudder" or clang and make this loud noise, that is often the result of the tap being shut off too abruptly. With the hose outlet typically seeing quite strong water pressure/flow, an immediate shut off from the hose outlet tends to create some pretty nasty water hammer effect, as I've experienced myself.

I've had multiple water hose timers in an effort to have the sprinkler water my lawn on a timer so I wouldn't have to monitor it, and every time the timer went off and shut off the water, the immediacy of that shutoff created a serious water hammer effect on my pipes that sounded like something was going to break. I've returned them all and have given up on timers sadly.

I couldn't find any timers with some sort of gradual shut off mechanism, and this one likely shuts off abruptly like most timers.

Just a friendly warning to all the homeowners out there. While there are water hammer arrestors that you can buy to help minimize this effect, they're about $10-$15, and aren't guaranteed to fix it either.

Happy shopping.
Last edited by TH3R on Aug 13th, 2021 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 13, 2009
290 posts
121 upvotes
Vancouver
TH3R wrote: Just a friendly warning to all the homeowners out there. While there are water hammer arrestors that you can buy to help minimize this effect, they're about $10-$15, and aren't guaranteed to fix it either.
Yes, this was a problem for both of my B-Hyves. However this one fixed the problem for me (but it is more expensive) .

I'll also point out that the UI is over engineered for this product but once you set things up, it works well. Google requires the pre-action of "Talk to Orbit Bhyve" before issuing a command. Setting up routines made that easier.
Apr 27, 2015
249 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I have also found that it drains the battery quite fast. I put a 2 brand AA batteries during Apr/May and was told to replace the battery already last week. Not sure if anyone else had that experience.
Aug 25, 2009
366 posts
347 upvotes
Jammer005 wrote: Yes, this was a problem for both of my B-Hyves. However this one fixed the problem for me (but it is more expensive) .

I'll also point out that the UI is over engineered for this product but once you set things up, it works well. Google requires the pre-action of "Talk to Orbit Bhyve" before issuing a command. Setting up routines made that easier.
Thanks for the link. I think $35 is worth it if it can prolong the life of the pipes.
[OP]
Nov 28, 2020
2 posts
13 upvotes
My biggest concern is that I will need 4-5 zones(backyard/frontyard/vegetable garden, trees). Investing in Orbit B-hyve will mean, I need to buy 4-5 of these! Hence, I am trying to resist the urge.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7511 posts
8076 upvotes
Vancouver
It's just not a good idea to have a WiFi smart controller turn your water on and off. The reliability of all such devices is poor, as anyone with smart home automation gear can attest. 95% reliability for something that turns your lights off is fine, but leaving the water running unattended for a day when you meant it to be an hour could cost you money and cause damage.
Feb 9, 2020
83 posts
78 upvotes
TH3R wrote: As a warning to potential buyers - these water hose timers create a serious "water hammer" effect on your pipes. If you've ever shut off any water valve in your house and you've heard your pipes "shudder" or clang and make this loud noise, that is often the result of the tap being shut off too abruptly. With the hose outlet typically seeing quite strong water pressure/flow, an immediate shut off from the hose outlet tends to create some pretty nasty water hammer effect, as I've experienced myself.

I've had multiple water hose timers in an effort to have the sprinkler water my lawn on a timer so I wouldn't have to monitor it, and every time the timer went off and shut off the water, the immediacy of that shutoff created a serious water hammer effect on my pipes that sounded like something was going to break. I've returned them all and have given up on timers sadly.

I couldn't find any timers with some sort of gradual shut off mechanism, and this one likely shuts of abruptly like most timers.

Just a friendly warning to all the homeowners out there. While there are water hammer arrestors that you can buy to help minimize this effect, they're about $10-$15, and aren't guaranteed to fix it either.

Happy shopping.
So that's what that noise is. I've been using this product since April. It makes that noise everytime. Is it damaging or just loud?
May 18, 2009
469 posts
414 upvotes
Richmond
Got this in early Spring and love it so far. Sure the app is a bit buggy, but the rain and wind delays and manual water option along with (smart) scheduling really makes this a set it and forget it.

I’ve also had to change the batteries once a few weeks ago, but using Ikealoops. Standard alkaline are supposed to last about 3-4 months.

Agree that you need a water hammer arrestor to quiet it down. I tried it without it and it woke me up on the morning schedule.

Another thing you can do to quiet it down, if you’re comfortable with leaving a hose with nozzle connected, you can attach this to one side of a Y splitter, hose on the other end, and it should also absorb a lot of the “hammer”. Though of course I do not recommend leaving a faucet on all the time.
Apr 30, 2008
859 posts
435 upvotes
Toronto
shane636559326752286829 wrote: So that's what that noise is. I've been using this product since April. It makes that noise everytime. Is it damaging or just loud?
I'm no plumber, but when I had a timer and it did that, it was a pretty startling noise, and something that sounded concerning.

As a home owner, the last thing you want is a leaky pipe in your house that you can't see. I'm sure you can google "water hammer effect" and there'll be plenty of articles outlining what the risks are, but to me, the convenience of a timer (that caused water hammer) simply wasn't worth the risk.

Now if you resolve it with the hammer arrestors as others have discussed here, then that's fine, but then you're looking at another $35 investment, that may or may not fix your problem.
Apr 30, 2008
859 posts
435 upvotes
Toronto
Scote64 wrote: It's just not a good idea to have a WiFi smart controller turn your water on and off. The reliability of all such devices is poor, as anyone with smart home automation gear can attest. 95% reliability for something that turns your lights off is fine, but leaving the water running unattended for a day when you meant it to be an hour could cost you money and cause damage.
Some good points man, never thought of that. My house is filled with Alexa's and smart dimmer/light switches, plugs, etc. When they don't work for whatever reason, which is maybe less than 1% of the time, it's no big deal. But you're right, if this water timer doesn't work, and I'm not aware of it, either my lawn/flowers don't get the water it needs and may die, or they get over watered, and may die, and waste money on the water as well.
Apr 30, 2008
859 posts
435 upvotes
Toronto
SaurabhK75828 wrote: My biggest concern is that I will need 4-5 zones(backyard/frontyard/vegetable garden, trees). Investing in Orbit B-hyve will mean, I need to buy 4-5 of these! Hence, I am trying to resist the urge.
Same. I have to move my sprinkler at least twice each watering session, so the timers don't really solve my problem of having to manually be involved with watering. First world problems.
Mar 21, 2006
118 posts
142 upvotes
Mississauga
Hammer effects on your plumbing can be cumulative and CAN impact any piece of your home's plumbing.

A water hammer arrester is simply an air column that buffers the water jolt. You can buy one for about $35, but chances are your home plumbing may already have some minimal protection.

I built my own for about $10. I put a $4 Y connector between the faucet and the timer. On one side I have the timer and on the other side I put a short hose with an end cap. I was lucky to find a 6" hose saver for $2 (y'know with the spiral spring around it), and an end cap for $3. Try to ensure the hose holds air to absorb the water hammer. The longer the hose section, the more air to absorb the shock. Once in a while make sure the short hose hasn't filled with water as water does not absorb the hammer.

If your Y connector has a flow control, make sure that the short hose is connected with the flow control wide open so that the air column can absorb the hammer from the valve.
Jan 13, 2009
290 posts
121 upvotes
Vancouver
SaurabhK75828 wrote: My biggest concern is that I will need 4-5 zones(backyard/frontyard/vegetable garden, trees). Investing in Orbit B-hyve will mean, I need to buy 4-5 of these! Hence, I am trying to resist the urge.
I have a Y connector connected to the B-hyve in both my back yard and front yard. I then run soaker hoses to different parts of my garden.
Jul 16, 2021
425 posts
689 upvotes
i have one of those in moncton willing to let go for 50!
never used lol
May 24, 2007
686 posts
841 upvotes
Kelowna
I found that a cheap vacuum breaker takes a ton of the pressure off with the sudden shutoff on my 4 way timer that's sitting at the end of a long 3/4" Poly line. Something like this. It won't help too much with pressure spikes directly between a faucet and timer but if you're running the timer off a line it definitely helps.