Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

$99 Aukey DR03D Front-Back 1080P Dash Cam

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 3rd, 2020 1:43 pm
Mar 7, 2006
535 posts
327 upvotes
Mississauga

[Amazon.ca] $99 Aukey DR03D Front-Back 1080P Dash Cam

This is a great deal at $100 for true 1080P front and back with a 2-year warranty from a company that will actually look after customers.

No WiFi or anything fancy but it does most of the basics right. Aukey is bad at error warnings if your card dies so you'll have to pay attention and check.

There's a $90 coupon you have to apply
Last edited by Mars2012 on Jul 16th, 2020 9:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: added retailer to title
42 replies
Banned
Feb 7, 2005
4498 posts
1191 upvotes
Great deal .
<sig removed> by moderators . Yet no moderator told me they removed or why ?
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2004
1771 posts
1666 upvotes
Vancouver
blue_lammer wrote: Aukey is bad at error warnings if your card dies so you'll have to pay attention and check.
this yes, in hindsight, is a deal breaker for me after owning DR02d for a couple years.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 22, 2008
6949 posts
7522 upvotes
BC
I'm no dash cam expert, but reviews are mostly good and compared to the $150usd price on amazon.com, it's pretty attractive.
-Read store exceptions before combining discounts with cash back sites
-HomeDepot clearance prices are not shown on stocktrack or HD.ca
-There is a difference between NEED (necessities) and WANT (desires). The word NEED is over-used on RFD and in general.
Jan 12, 2009
386 posts
434 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
There is a click-box immediately below the price for a $90 off coupon.
Koodo Cell, Fongo Home Phone, Rogers Internet, Wealthsimple Investing for now.

RFD Effect is real...Let the Credit Card games begin!
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39338 posts
6341 upvotes
Winnipeg
$99 for two cam is pretty good, how does it work? all recording is done in the front cam?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 22, 2012
7736 posts
10770 upvotes
Richmond Hill
No tax too, but I'm concerned about nighttime visibility. There seems to be a number of reviews stating that license plates can't be read at night.
Mar 7, 2006
535 posts
327 upvotes
Mississauga
Those reviewers have unrealistic expectations. There's a certain limit to quality at night on how clear things are going to be. No camera can pick up fast-moving license plates

Aukey is using a Novatek NT96660 + Sony IMX323 which is close to the top but not cutting edge for night time vision for 1080P (Sony Starvis IMX291 would be marginally better). A 1440P (not 4K) camera has the best night vision with the right hardware, but there's nothing in an all-in-one camera right now.

@DIVX - All recording is done in the front camera. The rear camera only transmits the video signal to the front camera.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39338 posts
6341 upvotes
Winnipeg
do you guys leave the cam in the car or take it out?
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4615 posts
3080 upvotes
how does this stack up to the viofo? what chip does the viofo use?
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2009
1223 posts
762 upvotes
There are multiple youtube comparisons between the Viofo and this dashcam, I think it's fair to say the Viofo is a better dashcam, with better picture quality in day and night. However, Viofo dual camera (A129) would be more than 2x this price, so if you don't care much about dashcam picture quality $99 is not a bad deal at all.
Feb 25, 2013
175 posts
162 upvotes
Vancouver
divx wrote: do you guys leave the cam in the car or take it out?
leave in the car. it's got a capacitor so heat or cold shouldn't be that much of a factor.

but if you're talking about the risk of someone stealing it, in Vancouver almost every car has one in the parking lots. they'll break your window to get your loose change before they get the camera.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2013
2877 posts
2839 upvotes
Ottawa
Why did 3 people downvoted for bad price? Does it usually go for less? Are its specs not worth the price? Are other similar dashcam cheaper/better?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2006
5868 posts
1606 upvotes
blue_lammer wrote: Aukey is using a Novatek NT96660 + Sony IMX323 which is close to the top but not cutting edge for night time vision for 1080P (Sony Starvis IMX291 would be marginally better). A 1440P (not 4K) camera has the best night vision with the right hardware, but there's nothing in an all-in-one camera right now.
What'd you say is the best front (single) 1440p camera for around the same price?
Oct 1, 2009
662 posts
325 upvotes
West coast
TruE SkiLLS wrote: What'd you say is the best front (single) 1440p camera for around the same price?
How about this one?

TOGUARD Dash Cam 4K 3840x2160P GPS Dashboard Dash Camera for Cars 2 inch 170° Wide Angle Vehicle Driving Recorder with Loop Recording Parking Monitor Travelapse White Balance https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07SK6Z7P3/ref ... -EbAYQ1AT3
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
9652 posts
10924 upvotes
Vancouver
I have the DR02 single front camera, and it works ok for me. Don't miss that point about checking your recordings regularly though, or you might not notice if your microSD card stops working. I just leave it in motion detect mode all the time so that it starts recording automatically when my car starts moving, and when I park it stops recording after a minute until it sees new motion. My car's lighter plug is always-on, so I don't need any special wiring to have power when parked. I just unplug the camera from the lighter socket when I'm not using it.

$99 for the dual cam version seems like a good deal. The difference between the DR03D and the DR02D seems to be that the front camera form factor on the DR03 is the type with a bigger LCD screen that uses a suction mount on the window, while the DR02 uses the more compact hidden mount and has only a small LCD screen. The sensor and electronics are the same.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2006
5868 posts
1606 upvotes
doradxplorer wrote: How about this one?

TOGUARD Dash Cam 4K 3840x2160P GPS Dashboard Dash Camera for Cars 2 inch 170° Wide Angle Vehicle Driving Recorder with Loop Recording Parking Monitor Travelapse White Balance https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07SK6Z7P3/ref ... -EbAYQ1AT3
Aside from amazon reviews, do you have real world experience with it? Amazon reviews imo are skewed and doesn't usually correlate to real usage.
Oct 1, 2009
662 posts
325 upvotes
West coast
TruE SkiLLS wrote: Aside from amazon reviews, do you have real world experience with it? Amazon reviews imo are skewed and doesn't usually correlate to real usage.

Sorry I don't. It's 4k and no wifi. The coupon was higher last week at $50 off which I think it's the better buy but alas we don't have doc's delorean
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
23017 posts
6890 upvotes
Scarberia
too bad aukey doesn't have a reverse license plate cam? i need a better one...i just got a crappy 720p chortau one lol...bad resolution on reverse cam!
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2008
1043 posts
1372 upvotes
TruE SkiLLS wrote: Aside from amazon reviews, do you have real world experience with it? Amazon reviews imo are skewed and doesn't usually correlate to real usage.
I previously bought and returned that exact camera. It's not really 4K resolution, and is easily outpaced by 1080p dashcams in a similar price range (like the 70mai models at the lower end or VIOFO cameras if you spend a little more). Night performance was terrible in particular, and the GPS requires specific software.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)