Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Acer Aspire 5 15.6" FHD IPS - 4500U, RX640 2GB, 8GB RAM (Upgr.), 256GB SSD, AX200 WiFi 6, USB-C w/ PD - $784.04 (Prime)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 10th, 2020 7:56 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
19141 posts
21991 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Acer Aspire 5 15.6" FHD IPS - 4500U, RX640 2GB, 8GB RAM (Upgr.), 256GB SSD, AX200 WiFi 6, USB-C w/ PD - $784.04 (Prime)

Welcome to November 2020.

Deal: https://www.amazon.ca/Acer-A515-44G-R83 ... 087NCCWMY/

We have what might be the best Ryzen 4500U IPS laptop available now.

The title specifications are clear, but here's more detail.
- (1x) or (2x) SODIMM Slots Available
- NVMe Upgrade Option
- Intel AX200NGW WiFi 6 Card (Excellent)
- 15" IPS FHD Screen (Good Value)
- AMD RX 640 2GB Dedicated (Nice Plus!)

Supposed Teardown from Amazon USA

And yes, it does have a sister variant, the 4700U model, at $905.85.

Deal 2: https://www.amazon.ca/Acer-A515-44-R2SA ... 087MXTP2K/

How does this compare to the Dell and Lenovo?

The Dell Inspiron 5505 is the best value for money laptop, outright, and with the best support options from Dell (stock and upgrade warranty options). It's 15.6" like this laptop here. The biggest downside for some is the non-IPS panel, which I find adequate, but others may take issue with. The OP laptop above has a reasonable IPS panel.

The Lenovo Flex 5 14" laptop is a 14" form factor 2-in-1 laptop, it also has an IPS screen. The limitation in the current generation is the lack of RAM upgradability, which isn't a problem for most users on the 16GB model. The pricing on this unit is more aggressive as well, being the most expensive of the three options.

None of the above (in their specific models) have dedicated GPUs with isolated memory, only the OP laptop with the RX 640 2GB allotment.

RX 640 2GB: Gaming Performance
20 replies
Oct 18, 2011
24 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
Tempting on paper, but this reviewer says otherwise apparently.

[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
19141 posts
21991 upvotes
CheapDealsPlox wrote: Tempting on paper, but this reviewer says otherwise apparently.
The single channel onboard memory is no different than a laptop with only one SODIMM.

Easily solvable by adding another SODIMM, the same issue is theoretically present on the Dell laptop and solved the same way.

The GPU vs Integrated solutions offer comparable performance, but the advantage comes from offloading that workload. It also may prove particularly useful in cases where dedicated and system RAM are needed for certain applications, such as photo and video editing.

If the GPU is thrown in there, as it is here, I'm of the view that it should just be taken as is. It's no detriment, and a potential enhancement in certain situations.
Nov 25, 2016
122 posts
55 upvotes
wait for Black Friday or jump on one of these?
Oct 5, 2010
709 posts
185 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: I believe it's 250 nits, just like the Lenovo.
Great price for this laptop. I was able to get my hands on a HP ENVY x360 Laptop - 15-ds1003ca from costco and love everything about it except for the 250 nits screen. The acer has the dedicated graphic but the hp has a better build material.

A great alternative nonetheless.

Thank you for sharing!
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2016
1536 posts
1554 upvotes
piesypies wrote: Great price for this laptop. I was able to get my hands on a HP ENVY x360 Laptop - 15-ds1003ca from costco and love everything about it except for the 250 nits screen. The acer has the dedicated graphic but the hp has a better build material.

A great alternative nonetheless.

Thank you for sharing!
I have the same laptop and find the screen pretty good. Make sure to turn vary bright of in adrenaline. This will allow you to regulate brightness yourself.

I just repasted and running below 40 in idle and low 40s browsing/productivity. I am blown away by it.

Only drawback I see is that VRAM runs max 1333mhz. Not sure if it's normal as ram is running at 1600mhz...
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2003
9901 posts
2066 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Good job OP
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2003
9901 posts
2066 upvotes
Richmond Hill
USB C does not support video? Which model has both PD and video? It appears AMD is behind Intel on this feature
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
19141 posts
21991 upvotes
I don't yet know if USB-C permits 4K60 on this laptop.

The Dell remains the value leader because it checks all the boxes, and it doesn't need the extra GPU this laptop includes.

So who should buy this laptop? Those who are uncompromising about getting an IPS panel affordably, and perhaps those who want to do some light video and photo editing on their machine.

For most everyone else, I recommend the Dell laptop.
Oct 5, 2010
709 posts
185 upvotes
Bubblegum86 wrote: I have the same laptop and find the screen pretty good. Make sure to turn vary bright of in adrenaline. This will allow you to regulate brightness yourself.

I just repasted and running below 40 in idle and low 40s browsing/productivity. I am blown away by it.

Only drawback I see is that VRAM runs max 1333mhz. Not sure if it's normal as ram is running at 1600mhz...
Strange, because I can vary my brightness in the windows settings with vari-bright turned off or on (in the amd radeon settings). Am I doing something wrong? Or does this affect the brightness only when your not plugged in?

I changed the color temperature to automatic in the amd radeon settings. The colors are now better in my opinion.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2016
1536 posts
1554 upvotes
piesypies wrote: Strange, because I can vary my brightness in the windows settings with vari-bright turned off or on (in the amd radeon settings). Am I doing something wrong? Or does this affect the brightness only when your not plugged in?

I changed the color temperature to automatic in the amd radeon settings. The colors are now better in my opinion.
I didn't touch any windows settings. Just use the keyboard buttons for brightness :)
Jan 13, 2016
26 posts
36 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
I believe this is a US model that Amazon is selling into Canada.

The teardown pic from Amazon is a previous model, as you can see from the review video it only has one DIMM socket, and 8GB soldered.

Same with the Ryzen 4700U model A515-44-R2SA, also a USA model with IPS screen and backlit keyboard.

Frankly they are cheaper and better configs than the ones listed by Acer Canada.

However, the prices are basically US List converted to C$. I will wait.
May 12, 2014
63 posts
15 upvotes
lloydminster, AB
What's good 8GB RAM stick for this laptop?
May 12, 2014
63 posts
15 upvotes
lloydminster, AB
aviador wrote: Wait until you receive your unit and then search for compatible sticks (Crucial, Kingston, etc. have tools for doing so). It seems Acer might be using quite different RAM sticks for these laptops, for instance something like:
I got the unit. from CPU-Z shows DRAM 1197 MHz. Does it mean the RAM is DDR4 2400?