Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

Acer Aspire Desktop: I5-10400, 12GB, 512GB NVMe, (2x) HDMI -- $597.08 (Prime)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 20th, 2022 2:54 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
24059 posts
30657 upvotes
As a standalone PC, this is the best value for money I can find in a new pre-built off the shelf system, especially with Prime Shipping (Fast Shipping, Reliable Return Options).

Right now, I'm not sure Dell offers anything better as a basic pre-built for 'friends and family', even after coupon stacking.

However, I can concede that there are easier builds (after Dell coupons) that may be equivalent value after factoring in the included dedicated GPUs for the adjusted price.

I'll break it down as I see it.

For Friends and Family: Competitive**
For Business Users: Competitive**
For Power Users: Too Limiting
For Gamers: Too Limiting

** Convenience oriented users looking for a ready to use system, from a reputable maker, with fast shipping and secure return options.

If-then Statements
- If someone wanted to run an oversized 4K productivity panel on this OP build, then I would still buy this unit, and tack on a low power GT 1030 for good measure.
- If someone were more enterprising, then I would build a basic Ryzen 3600 workstation, likely for a little more money.

Great contributions from the community in this thread.

@Dhanushan
@aviador

And others.
Jan 16, 2017
350 posts
396 upvotes
Burlington, ON
This is the previous thread. It was $499 in Aug/Sep 2020 without the SSD. I bought this and returned it eventually, but here is my post summarizing a lot of the info there:

EDIT: apparently item 5 may not apply to this model as it appears the PSU is proprietary.
OP, these questions are coming up on every page of the thread. Consider adding them to the thread summary:

1. Can I add an SSD?
Yes, you can. Either a standard 2.5" SATA or a M.2 NVME. Almost any brand/size will work. M.2 form factor will be easiest as it does not require any extra cabling. A WD Black 500 GB was on sale recently for $85 on Amazon but has since gone back to normal price. https://www.amazon.ca/Black-SN750-500GB ... B07MH2P5ZD

2. Does the M.2 SSD need a screw?
Yes, it does and you will need to purchase one. I bought these for $9 and will be keeping the remaining 3 for spare parts. https://www.amazon.ca/SGTKJSJS-M-2-Scre ... B07Q3DLCJ4 Alternatively, you can take out the Wi-Fi screw and use it for the SSD. The Wi-Fi card antennae are held by some electrical tape from factory so it remains in place and can still be used while you buy/find an extra screw.

3. Can I install Windows on the SSD?
Yes, you can. Use the Win10 media creation tool to create a bootable flash drive and install a fresh copy on the SSD. You can format the 1TB HDD during the Win10 setup. The Windows license is tied to the motherboard so it activates automatically on first boot on the new drive.

4. Can I install a graphics card? If so, which one will fit?
Yes, you can. There are several posts of different cards fitting. You're welcome to search the thread. You have to consider the length and width of the card (height if you look at it installed) as the case is small.

User QuantumDot took some reference measurements. Reference post

Short card max 180mm (L) 140mm (W)
Long card max 280mm (L) 110mm (W)

User MichaelSun fit an RX 580 8G into the case, which measures 29.8x13.4x5.25 cm per his post, but he had to remove the fan cover to make it fit. Reference post

5. Can I change the power supply?
Yes, you can. Not much else to say here. The case is small so if changing the PSU, consider getting a modular one to remove unnecessary cables.

6. Can I run a 4K display from this?
Yes, you can, but only at 30Hz. You will need to install a graphics card to get 4K 60Hz. The HDMI ports from the integrated GPU will only output a max resolution of 4K @ 30Hz, which will look choppy for day-to-day use. An HDMI-to-DP active adapter will not work (I tried) since the source connector needs to be DP, not HDMI.

7. Can I upgrade the RAM?
Yes, you can. It uses DDR4 dual-channel memory @ 2666 Mhz. Faster RAM will most likely work but run at the max speed the motherboard/chipset will allow.

8. Does it have a VGA port?
No, it doesn’t. Only two HDMI ports from the integrated GPU.

Feel free to add/contribute/correct this list.
Last edited by dxxalf on Jun 1st, 2021 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
3473 posts
3967 upvotes
elty wrote: I think it was 499 last year, without the ssd
Yeah, I got that one a year ago. Just added the NVMe and a 1660s and it's flying on games and even cryptos at 31MH/s. The case doesn't look like much but it doesn't overheat. Not like on the 3080 in my Alienware, where I had to put some serious paste down to lower the v.ram temps. Anyways, I really like this Acer, its a great option if you can secure a decent GPU.
Last edited by thelasthunter on Jun 1st, 2021 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For Sale:
Deal Addict
May 14, 2005
2563 posts
1530 upvotes
Markham
there are people selling the Dell machine minus the videocard for $500, this guy in the picture had it on facebook market place for like 7-10 days at least, can probably negotiate down a little($450-475?).. specs are nearly identical 12gb ram vs 16gb, 256ssd+2tb HD vs 512gb ssd.

$600+tax is $678

that is a 200dollar difference which is huge
i understand it is brand new from amazon vs facebook marketplace and videocard taken out..but it is a new machine and RFD is RFD, i probably saw 5-6 people post these dell machines on facebook within a 10km radius in the last 2 weeks
Images
  • dell.PNG
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
24059 posts
30657 upvotes
andyyuen wrote: there are people selling the Dell machine minus the videocard for $500, this guy in the picture had it on facebook market place for like 7-10 days at least, can probably negotiate down a little($450-475?).. specs are nearly identical 12gb ram vs 16gb, 256ssd+2tb HD vs 512gb ssd.

$600+tax is $678

New with Prime Warranty vs. Greg's Basement Warranty

I hear you, but if I'm buying for the office, I'm not entering someone's house on an adventure for a new PC. This OP computer is cookie cutter and ready to go off the shelf, whether you're buying one or ten units.

Again I hear you, used alternatives exist, and for the right person, they're worth considering.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2005
2563 posts
1530 upvotes
Markham
redflagdealsguy wrote: New with Prime Warranty vs. Greg's Basement Warranty

I hear you, but if I'm buying for the office, I'm not entering someone's house on an adventure for a new PC. This OP computer is cookie cutter and ready to go off the shelf, whether you're buying one or ten units.

Again I hear you, used alternatives exist, and for the right person, they're worth considering.
Dell's warranty follows the service tag.. and they are quite good about it.. same as Apple.
I bought a used alienware from US years ago.. the service tag was still valid and i didnt have receipt or anything.. they gave me replacement still..

HOWEVER, to be fair.. i dont know whether taking out the videocard affects the warranty status...
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
4863 posts
3537 upvotes
Burnaby
dxxalf wrote: This is the previous thread. It was $499 in Aug/Sep 2020 without the SSD. I bought this and returned it eventually, but here is my post summarizing a lot of the info there:
IINM (I might be), that's a Model Number: TC-895-EB11 with a standard 500W PSU, the one subject of this thread is a TC-895-UA92 with proprietary (weird) 300W PSU without terminals for a video card. Not a small difference.

For what it's worth if you're not going to add a video card, you could just get a Vostro with i3 10th gen for $500 (pre-discounts/rebates, perhaps around $400 after those). It has enough processing power and expansion slots for family and friends users.

Incompetent workers (and criminals) cover each other's "lower back"
Keywords: doxxers, moles, security breaches, cs*s,
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2008
3674 posts
998 upvotes
Toronto
andyyuen wrote: there are people selling the Dell machine minus the videocard for $500, this guy in the picture had it on facebook market place for like 7-10 days at least, can probably negotiate down a little($450-475?).. specs are nearly identical 12gb ram vs 16gb, 256ssd+2tb HD vs 512gb ssd.

$600+tax is $678

i understand it is brand new from amazon vs facebook marketplace and videocard taken out..but it is a new machine and RFD is RFD, i probably saw 5-6 people post these dell machines on facebook within a 10km radius in the last 2 weeks
That dell machine is the F variant of the processor so you need a graphics card installed for it to even post.

Which is an added cost and in this current pandemic environment an added headache
Nov 24, 2012
124 posts
22 upvotes
NORTH VANCOUVER
Quick question for people in this thread:

I'm currently looking for a workstation desktop for my business that will have a touchscreen monitor. It won't be used for ANYTHING beyond a POS system, light browsing and pretty much paint.net level photo editing.

Are there any suggestions? Perhaps with a Ryzen build?
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
4863 posts
3537 upvotes
Burnaby
thelasthunter wrote: Yeah, I got that one a year ago. Just added the NVMe and a 1660s and it's flying on games and even cryptos at 31MH/s. The case doesn't look like much but it doesn't overheat. Not like on the 3080 in my Alienware, where I had to put some serious paste down to lower the v.ram temps. Anyways, I really like this Acer, its a great option if you can secure a decent GPU.
You probably got the TC-895-EB11 with 500W PSU. Looking online, it's either PA-4501-1AC or D19-500P1A. The specs for the PA-4501-1A PA-2301-3 says " Graphics Card 12V Pin Number: 8 pin; CPU Power Connector: 4 pin" [this is likely not an OEM Liteon but a "compatible"].

BTW, Best Buy has this TC-895-EB11 model on "sale" for $600 (until June 3) -- even if the loonie is a bit stronger than in 2019/2020 -- /smh COVID inflation.

Regarding video cards, maybe the LHR will have affordable prices.

[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
24059 posts
30657 upvotes
aviador wrote: You probably got the TC-895-EB11 with 500W PSU. Looking online, it's either PA-4501-1AC or D19-500P1A. The specs for the PA-4501-1A PA-2301-3 says " Graphics Card 12V Pin Number: 8 pin; CPU Power Connector: 4 pin" [this is likely not an OEM Liteon but a "compatible"].

BTW, Best Buy has this TC-895-EB11 model on "sale" for $600 (until June 3) -- even if the loonie is a bit stronger than in 2019/2020 -- /smh COVID inflation.
Nice find, if it has a 500W PSU it may be more attractive for gamers.
Sep 27, 2007
552 posts
831 upvotes
Trois-Rivieres
It was $1000 in february because amazon didnt have any stock and that price was from third vendors...amazon has always sold them to at about $600 more or less a couple of bucks
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
24059 posts
30657 upvotes
hackett40 wrote: It was $1000 in february because amazon didnt have any stock and that price was from third vendors...amazon has always sold them to at about $600 more or less a couple of bucks
Keepa disagrees with you, at least on the always $600 price.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
4863 posts
3537 upvotes
Burnaby
hackett40 wrote: It was $1000 in february because amazon didnt have any stock and that price was from third vendors...amazon has always sold them to at about $600 more or less a couple of bucks
redflagdealsguy wrote: Keepa disagrees with you, at least on the always $600 price.
Actually @hackett40 might be right. Price for this item has hovered around $650 most of the time when Amazon has had it in stock. The "New" prices (on Keepa) or dashed line price (on C3) are fictitious prices when the item has been OOS or only available through third parties (etc). On Keepa you can clearly see that when you hover your pointer over the plotted line and the Amazon price tag appears.

TC895-UA92-PriceHistory-Keepa.JPG
TC895-UA92-PriceHistory-Camel3X.JPG

Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2003
10717 posts
3135 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Seems to be regular price to me
Jan 15, 2016
100 posts
12 upvotes
Victoria, BC
aviador wrote: You probably got the TC-895-EB11 with 500W PSU. Looking online, it's either PA-4501-1AC or D19-500P1A. The specs for the PA-4501-1A PA-2301-3 says " Graphics Card 12V Pin Number: 8 pin; CPU Power Connector: 4 pin" [this is likely not an OEM Liteon but a "compatible"].

Regarding video cards, maybe the LHR will have affordable prices.
Isn’t the Best Buy model you posted for $599 a better deal? What is the downside?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
24059 posts
30657 upvotes
aviador wrote: Actually @hackett40 might be right. Price for this item has hovered around $650 most of the time when Amazon has had it in stock. The "New" prices (on Keepa) or dashed line price (on C3) are fictitious prices when the item has been OOS or only available through third parties (etc). On Keepa you can clearly see that when you hover your pointer over the plotted line and the Amazon price tag appears.

TC895-UA92-PriceHistory-Keepa.JPGTC895-UA92-PriceHistory-Camel3X.JPG
This is a mis-appraisal of the situation.

During the stock out period, the market price is accurately reflected in this third party new product price, which was hovering over $900 with peaks over $1000. I know this because I wanted to buy during that time. This wasn't a convenient fiction, the PC component shortage earlier this year drove component and build prices higher (at least among resellers). This coincided with Amazon's store stock out, which wasn't surprising.

It seems like we're promulgating a series of 'gotchas' to say why this isn't a good deal. I'm saying this is a good deal in light of the recent COVID run on PC components and builds, but it's no barn burner, and I provide caveats below. I believe things have cooled down in the PC space slightly, with the exception of very high performance consumer / enterprise SSDs, and GPUs.

I would advise people to buy or skip this purchase on objective merit, subject to alternatives in the market. Convenience, timing, return policy, customer service, etc., all factor into that purchase or opt-out consideration.
Sep 23, 2012
265 posts
268 upvotes
White Rock BC
aviador wrote: What about just getting an entry level Dell Gaming desktop g series 5000, it starts at $800 baseline with i5-10400F and GTX 1650, but configurable (PSU, WiFi card, GPU, RAM, etc.). You could get the usual 10% with UniDays/email signup plus Rakuten rebate. I think this Dell offers better value. Other g-series desktops at Dell.
I looked at a lot of these Dells as people were stripping the video card and reselling the shell. The Dell machines use a proprietary power supply, so if it ever goes, back to Dell for parts. The video card is branded NVIDIA for the chipset, but is Dell only. Don't expect it to run like a branded version - who is spending time optimizing for the chipset? Not Dell. DDR is unbranded. Not a big deal, as the two biggest performance influencers are the GPU and the CPU+motherboard.
Need a 2nd RFD storage unit
Sep 23, 2012
265 posts
268 upvotes
White Rock BC
dxxalf wrote: This is the previous thread. It was $499 in Aug/Sep 2020 without the SSD. I bought this and returned it eventually, but here is my post summarizing a lot of the info there:

EDIT: apparently item 5 may not apply to this model as it appears the PSU is proprietary.
The proprietary PSU means that you have to go to Acer for the replacement - something to consider. NEgg or Amz won't be able to help you when it eventually goes bad.
Need a 2nd RFD storage unit
Mar 13, 2013
297 posts
116 upvotes
LONDON
plus the cost of Windows-10 licence.
Desperadude wrote: One can assemble one for same cost with better components