Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

ADATA USA Ultimate Su800 1TB 3D Nand 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal Solid State Drive 139.99$

[OP]
Newbie
Jan 31, 2014
23 posts
92 upvotes
Gatineau

[Amazon.ca] ADATA USA Ultimate Su800 1TB 3D Nand 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal Solid State Drive 139.99$

First time posting, so please don't be to harsh. Saw this and it seems to be a decent price for anyone looking for a SSD. Both the 256 and 512 model are also on discount but only 5$ and 10$.
77 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2019
2073 posts
2620 upvotes
good deal but get an NVme for long run.
-------------------
GO zoomers ~
$36 6GB UNLIMITED CARP voicemail + a free phone / 2yr
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 27, 2006
1410 posts
382 upvotes
Decent price considering COVID, and if you cannot go NVMe.
Newbie
Dec 2, 2019
17 posts
6 upvotes
my Mobo is running out of NVME slots and this looks like a decent deal for me. thanks for sharing!
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
44412 posts
7699 upvotes
How is Adata's reliability? Is this TLC?
Blanka
Jr. Member
User avatar
Oct 11, 2005
128 posts
51 upvotes
GTA
Not good, had two adata ssds fail in the last two builds. IIRC for warranty they only cover shipping back to you and it was in the states.
Sr. Member
Jun 8, 2019
508 posts
602 upvotes
djemzine wrote: How is Adata's reliability? Is this TLC?
Adata drives implement 3D NAND Flash for superb transfer rates up to 560/520MB per second. They also feature low power consumption, high reliability, and compatibility across diverse storage applications that require security, convenience, performance, and capacity.
I own a service with Public Mobile and with Fido.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Apr 10, 2011
10285 posts
19049 upvotes
Montreal
roedoe wrote: Adata drives implement 3D NAND Flash for superb transfer rates up to 560/520MB per second. They also feature low power consumption, high reliability, and compatibility across diverse storage applications that require security, convenience, performance, and capacity.
That's the Kool-aid, don't drink it.
Adata SU800 is known for poor reliability.
Over the years, I have seen many posts like #6 above in the RFD threads and on Reddit.
Taken individually, it's anecdotes but the sum of it convinced me to stick with Samsung Evo 860 or Crucial MX500.
I know the prices are abnormally high right now, but if you can wait, the markets should go back eventually to pre-pandemic prices.
For example, Samsung will have to clear the 860 soon to make place for the 870.
Last edited by Temporel on Jul 9th, 2020 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5692 posts
3831 upvotes
Toronto
djemzine wrote: How is Adata's reliability? Is this TLC?
Adata doesn't manufacture the parts so asking is Adata reliable is an unanswerable question. Some of their products are very reliable, others not so much.

This particular drive uses a Silicon Motion SM2258 controller, which is the same one used in the Crucial MX500, which is a very reliable controller. The NAND is TLC, earlier revisions were 32L Micron (MX500 uses 64L Micron) but they recently swapped to 64L Samsung. Don't have benches of the swap, doubt it'll have a huge impact on performance though in theory the new NAND is better.

tl;dr all things considered, this would be one of Adata's more reliable products.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5692 posts
3831 upvotes
Toronto
Temporel wrote: That's the Kool-aid, don't drink it.
Adata SU800 is known for poor reliability.
Over the years, I have seen many posts like #6 above in the RFD threads and on Reddit.
Taken individually, it's anecdotes but the sum of it convinced me to stick with Samsung Evo 860 or Crucial MX500.
I know the prices are abnormally high right now, but if you can wait, the markets should go back eventually to pre-pandemic prices.
For example, Samsung will have to clear the 860 soon to make place for the 870.
Tells someone not to drink the Kool-Aid. Proceeds to provide only anecdotal evidence. As far as I'm concerned, you just swapped out red Kool-Aid for blue Face With Tears Of Joy.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jul 7, 2007
10780 posts
2443 upvotes
I’m in a market for 1-2tb version but not in a rush.

What is good deal for that in a “pre-pandemic” pricing?
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2007
1831 posts
1068 upvotes
Toronto
I had 2 out of 2 failed on me and went full Samsung after. It is on sale for weeks now.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
4916 posts
1948 upvotes
kingofwale wrote: I’m in a market for 1-2tb version but not in a rush.

What is good deal for that in a “pre-pandemic” pricing?
for a 1tb 2.5" drive I'd say a good deal is anything under $130. For reference I got a Crucial MX500 1tb late last year for $145 and that was the normal price.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
3724 posts
2044 upvotes
I've been using one of these as a cache drive in an Unraid server for a few weeks now and I have hit it hard with multi-terabyte transfers and it's running a number of VMs that require constant heavy I/O. It runs hot but has been working flawlessly for me. Performance is good.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Apr 10, 2011
10285 posts
19049 upvotes
Montreal
Jep4444 wrote: Tells someone not to drink the Kool-Aid. Proceeds to provide only anecdotal evidence. As far as I'm concerned, you just swapped out red Kool-Aid for blue Face With Tears Of Joy.
Pick your poison: corporate Kool-aid or the one from a RFD member who's been watching SSDs for years. :)
Last edited by Temporel on Jul 13th, 2020 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Apr 10, 2011
10285 posts
19049 upvotes
Montreal
kingofwale wrote: I’m in a market for 1-2tb version but not in a rush.

What is good deal for that in a “pre-pandemic” pricing?
Samsung EVO 860 500GB with a Staples coupon: $80
Crucial MX500 500 GB Amazon $90

1 TB maybe $150
2 TB Last year Amazon Prime Day price error: $300

I know, at this point it looks like wishful thinking but I'm an optimist.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5692 posts
3831 upvotes
Toronto
Temporel wrote: Pick your poison: corporate Kool-aid or the one from a RFD member who's been watching SSDs for years. :)

Not updated anymore: my-sata-solid-state-drive-quick-buying- ... s-2212743/
I follow SSDs too. I tend to look at what components make up a drive before I judge it. In the case of the SU800, all the components that go into it are good. The reviews are generally excellent and the thing I've learnt about storage over the years is, pick any product, someone has a horror story. If the price was the same, would I rather have an 860 or MX500? Sure but the price isn't the same and there isn't any real evidence that this is a problem drive either.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 4, 2008
7202 posts
8915 upvotes
Scarbs
my su800 is still going strong after 3 years and 90tb written
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Apr 10, 2011
10285 posts
19049 upvotes
Montreal
Jep4444 wrote: I follow SSDs too. I tend to look at what components make up a drive before I judge it. In the case of the SU800, all the components that go into it are good. The reviews are generally excellent and the thing I've learnt about storage over the years is, pick any product, someone has a horror story. If the price was the same, would I rather have an 860 or MX500? Sure but the price isn't the same and there isn't any real evidence that this is a problem drive either.
The thing is that Adata is not a manufacturer like Samsung or Crucial. They subcontract assembly of whatever parts they can get their hands on. Micron bins their NANDs and keeps the first grade for their own Crucial brand. The second grade gets sold to resellers. That's where Adata buys their NANDs to offer lower prices.

Professional reviews look at performance and can't really comment on reliability.

Every time it's the same. Someone post a deal on a 2nd rate SSD like Adata or a 3rd rate like a Kingston A400 then someone asks if they are good. Some people reply that they died on them prematurely and get dismissed as anecdotal by others that say "mine is x years old with no problem. But that's also anecdotal.

You simply don't get as much of those "anecdotal" it died prematurely on me with 1st rate brands like Crucial or Samsung.

Decide for yourself.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5692 posts
3831 upvotes
Toronto
Temporel wrote: The thing is that Adata is not a manufacturer like Samsung or Crucial. They subcontract assembly of whatever parts they can get their hands on. Micron bins their NANDs and keeps the first grade for their own Crucial brand. The second grade gets sold to resellers. That's where Adata buys their NANDs to offer lower prices.

Every time it's the same. Someone post a deal on a 2nd rate SSD like Adata or a 3rd rate like a Kingston A400 then someone asks if they are good. Some people reply that they died on them prematurely and get dismissed as anecdotal by others that say "mine is x years old with no problem. But that's also anecdotal.

You simply don't get as much of those "anecdotal" it died prematurely on me with 1st rate brands like Crucial or Samsung.

Decide for yourself.
Sure but compared to controller failure, NAND failure is pretty rare. At least if you're not pushing it, in which case most power users are going to opt for NVMe now anyways. Crucial doesn't make the controllers( Samsung does make their own) so the quality should be about the same there. Yes Crucial will be pickier with parts than Adata (or Kingston), which is why I judge them on a product by product basis.

As for anecdotal evidence, I can take to Amazon and find complaints about MX500 and Evo 860's dieing prematurely, too. They're still reliable products. Meanwhile, half the time someone says my Adata drive died/still going strong, it isn't even the same drive that is being discussed. In general, I try not to rely on a few posts by random people. Looking at the actual parts used and aggregating a large number of reviews tends to be more reliable way to measure a product.

Top