Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

ADATA USA Ultimate Su800 1TB 3D Nand 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal Solid State Drive 139.99$

Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2011
1356 posts
599 upvotes
Brandon
Jep4444 wrote: Tells someone not to drink the Kool-Aid. Proceeds to provide only anecdotal evidence. As far as I'm concerned, you just swapped out red Kool-Aid for blue Face With Tears Of Joy.
Face With Tears Of Joy
Oct 31, 2012
85 posts
254 upvotes
Nova Scotia
Temporel wrote: The thing is that Adata is not a manufacturer like Samsung or Crucial. They subcontract assembly of whatever parts they can get their hands on. Micron bins their NANDs and keeps the first grade for their own Crucial brand. The second grade gets sold to resellers. That's where Adata buys their NANDs to offer lower prices.

Professional reviews look at performance and can't really comment on reliability.

Every time it's the same. Someone post a deal on a 2nd rate SSD like Adata or a 3rd rate like a Kingston A400 then someone asks if they are good. Some people reply that they died on them prematurely and get dismissed as anecdotal by others that say "mine is x years old with no problem. But that's also anecdotal.

You simply don't get as much of those "anecdotal" it died prematurely on me with 1st rate brands like Crucial or Samsung.

Decide for yourself.

I refuse to buy anything ADATA again.

I had a similar ADATA drive and it failed.
I RMAed it and it was an OK process.
The replacement failed a couple years later.
They would not allow me to RMA the second one because it was based of the original purchase date of the first drive.

Now I will only buy Samsung / Kingston / WD. I work in IT, and I have yet to see any of these brands fail.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5692 posts
3831 upvotes
Toronto
handovdoom wrote: I refuse to buy anything ADATA again.

I had a similar ADATA drive and it failed.
I RMAed it and it was an OK process.
The replacement failed a couple years later.
They would not allow me to RMA the second one because it was based of the original purchase date of the first drive.

Now I will only buy Samsung / Kingston / WD. I work in IT, and I have yet to see any of these brands fail.
That's how all warranties work... You don't get a new warranty every time something breaks. At best, I've seen companies extend warranties by 90 days if yours breaks within the last 90 days just to cover initial defects/issues with the repair.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
2826 posts
6198 upvotes
Vancouver
handovdoom wrote:
I seem to recall people having a really hard time getting Samsung to honor warranties on SSDs. Still the case?

My daily used 840 evo is still going strong after 5+ years
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2020
4344 posts
3546 upvotes
primordialSingularit…
Anecdotal but I've used Adata for years, SD cards, USB sticks, SSDs. I have 2 Adata SSDs including the one listed and have had no issues so far. I did have a dead USB stick after it overheated. SD cards were fine. I bought this deal 119 last year, but if mission critical stuff I'm usually on an MX500 or EVO 850. SATA III SSD prices last year were insanely low, the pandemic screwed everything up, but I see some RAM prices coming back to last year's prices, maybe SSDs will follow suit, especially since they want to dump their SATA III inventory.
Nov 24, 2006
796 posts
191 upvotes
If it's me, and I need a 1TB SATA SSD now, I'd just get the WD Blue 3D 1TB for $10 more. $149.99 on Amazon.ca:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B073SBQMCX/

You can PM at ME etc.

Anecdotal too, but personally I've had better luck with WD products than ADATA.
Feb 18, 2015
201 posts
171 upvotes
Woodstock, ON
Our family owns, Samsungs, Kingston, Intel and Adata. Only SSDs we have seen fail are two Adata drives.
Nov 29, 2010
392 posts
98 upvotes
Mississauga
Temporel wrote: That's the Kool-aid, don't drink it.
Adata SU800 is known for poor reliability.
Over the years, I have seen many posts like #6 above in the RFD threads and on Reddit.
Taken individually, it's anecdotes but the sum of it convinced me to stick with Samsung Evo 860 or Crucial MX500.
I know the prices are abnormally high right now, but if you can wait, the markets should go back eventually to pre-pandemic prices.
For example, Samsung will have to clear the 860 soon to make place for the 870.

Honestly - my experience has been exactly the opposite.
I have run 2 SSDs so far for a long period of time and here is my anecdote:
Crucial MX300 -> put 1 in my sisters laptop, died within 2 years. Upgraded to the cheapest Kingston drive I could find and its going strong for 1 year
Adata XPG SX900 -> used in my main computer since 2013 with ZERO issues except it was too small (128GB). Upgraded with Samsung 860 Evo last year (after using for 6 years) and 0 complaints so far.

I was really surprised that the Crucial failed so quickly. I have no idea what went wrong.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 23, 2009
5581 posts
2441 upvotes
1MFK1 wrote: Honestly - my experience has been exactly the opposite.
I have run 2 SSDs so far for a long period of time and here is my anecdote:
Crucial MX300 -> put 1 in my sisters laptop, died within 2 years. Upgraded to the cheapest Kingston drive I could find and its going strong for 1 year
Adata XPG SX900 -> used in my main computer since 2013 with ZERO issues except it was too small (128GB). Upgraded with Samsung 860 Evo last year (after using for 6 years) and 0 complaints so far.

I was really surprised that the Crucial failed so quickly. I have no idea what went wrong.
I had the same experience with the MX300 :(
Oct 31, 2012
85 posts
254 upvotes
Nova Scotia
Jep4444 wrote: That's how all warranties work... You don't get a new warranty every time something breaks. At best, I've seen companies extend warranties by 90 days if yours breaks within the last 90 days just to cover initial defects/issues with the repair.
I'm fully understand why they did not replace the 2nd failed drive, but it is pretty sad that they both failed.
It's not like they were getting constant IO as it was only used for my Steam library.

You get what you pay for.
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15105 posts
11838 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Any 1tb internal ssd for under $100 bucks?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
3078 posts
2163 upvotes
Ok If it is ok... I am going to offer some thoughts. I can probably state that I am knowledgeable as I have taken part in the testing just about every SSD released at one time or another. I am also one of the very few to actually see the inside of Fabs in Korea, Taiwan and China. Actually only about 20 of us have ever been allowed into the Samsung Fab, other than those that work there.

All products will have a failure rate and we will see failure from any SSD you get. The first question has to be how do we compare that to a hard drive. SSDs last longer period and that include the newest QLC. They are much safer, much more durable, faster, cooler, better for battery life and so on. Now comparing one SSD to another... It is true that the Fab owners such as Samsung and Crucial may choose to use better binned flash in their own products than that of which they sell to third party manufacturers. That is not altogether true as can be see with Samsung who has traditionally provided Apple with the best because that is where there money was made. We see releases of all levels of SSDs from Apple before Samsung, even though the components of those SSDs may have been Samsung products. Flash that is used in ALL SSDs is top tier memory plain and simple. I know this because I have run extensive tests on substandard SSDs where companies, or a rogue employee within a company, tried to switch off memory with lower tier flash sold on the black market. This is typically found these days in fake SDXC cards. This is called blacktopping where substandard memory has a black paint layer placed over the branding and then some other manufacturers NAND info placed on it. This is very very rare.

So now... SSDs available to us these days are extremely hard to run a comparison. There is no greater rate of failure from one than another, so listening to one person who had a failure, which could have been caused through their own negligence, makes no sense. Third party SSD manufacturers include ADATA, Kingston, Patriot, Corsair, OWC, Mushkin and many others. Would you believe that most of their SSDs come from the same company (AVANT) and simply have a different branding sticker, and maybe a few firmware changes? Absolute truth. This is nothing new as, in the beginning the Intel X-25m SSD was also the Kingston SSDNow...only the sticker was different.

In EVERY instance of a substandard SSD that I have seen in my 13 years involved in the industry, it has been very vocally identified by reviewers and customers, the most obvious being the JMicron stuttering 602 controller which resulted in a huge financial loss for the company back in 08.

So... ADATA... good. Kingston... Good. Samsung... Good. Crucial...Good. But I will say Samsung Warranty Service for ANY product... Very bad. Its like talking to Bell about your internet.

Oh last but not least. Components in a consumer SSD may change because these don't have set BOM (Bill of Materials) as an enterprise SSD does. Hope this helps all somewhat.

After writing that, I had to pull out and check out something that is somewhat rare...actually extremely rare to ever get ones hands on. Can anyone identify it?
Images
  • IMG_20200710_142256.jpg
Last edited by flamenko on Jul 10th, 2020 3:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
15105 posts
11838 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
I'm hopeful!
Temporel wrote: No, not even pre-pandemic.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
3725 posts
2049 upvotes
flamenko wrote:
After writing that, I had to pull out and check out something that is somewhat rare...actually extremely rare to ever get ones hands on. Can anyone identify it?
Yes. This is the very elusive mosaic tile waffle maker. Might be obscure but it's sure delicious!
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
2826 posts
6198 upvotes
Vancouver
flamenko wrote:
So... ADATA... good. Kingston... Good. Samsung... Good. Crucial...Good. But I will say Samsung Warranty Service for ANY product... Very bad. Its like talking to Bell about your internet.
Whats the recommendation if not samsung 860 because the warranty is crap?

Same quality/price point alternative?
Deal Addict
May 23, 2008
1432 posts
1300 upvotes
ON
flamenko wrote:
What's so special about your wafer? There's plenty of them on eBay otherwise :)
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
3078 posts
2163 upvotes
danascully wrote: Whats the recommendation if not samsung 860 because the warranty is crap?

Same quality/price point alternative?
Samsung is still a good buy. All SSDs are. My recommendation ALWAYS accompanies knowing what it will be used for. Not buying a value SSD to run a business and, unless you can afford it, there is no need for a premium SSD just to surf the net, do emails, game and write documents. All SSDs are good and not even an expert with the best eye can differentiate from one or another in typical computer use. The truth is that SSDs have next to no seek time because the information being retrieved is a constant flo, unlike the hard drive. In result, there is nobody...nobody that can tell the difference between that Samsung 970 Pro and that ADATA Sword in typical use because the seek time is so minute, its not visible to the eye. By seek time, I mean the time it takes for you to press the button for a command and that command to be executed...for laymens sake...
2163 upvotes
RaidZero wrote: What's so special about your wafer? There's plenty of them on eBay otherwise :)
Yes it is a wafer and I dont see many larger wafers or NAND wafers on Ebay whatsoever. It may have escaped the purpose of the post which would have been a quick explanation of how sand is melted to silicon ingots which are then cut into wafers, the ingots being one of the purest substances in the universe...but that's neither here nor there now I guess .Lol. Most havent a clue the value of NAND flash and how much it has changed our lives in the last 12 or so years.
19167 posts
2494 upvotes
YVR
Temporel wrote: No, not even pre-pandemic.
I got my 1TB Adata SU800 for $99.99 at MemX last November. In hindsight, I should have grabbed a couple more.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed