Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

ADATA USA Ultimate Su800 1TB 3D Nand 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal Solid State Drive 139.99$

Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5692 posts
3831 upvotes
Toronto
launch wrote: Cheapest 1TB with some kind of brand name I've found is $129.99. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07LG1 ... OQJA&psc=1
The 1 TB BX500 is a few dollars cheaper than the Adata at $136.37.
The Silicon Power and BX500 are both DRAMless SSDs (not ideal for a boot drive, fine for storage/game drive). The 1TB BX500 is also QLC. The 960GB is TLC so the 960GB is recommended over the 1TB unless you REALLY need the extra 64GB.
Jun 15, 2020
277 posts
605 upvotes
Thanks. That's good to know about them being DRAMless. There is also a 1 TB nvme from Crucial for and extra $5 over this Adata SU800. I don't have an m.2 slot on my motherboard but I do have an adapter and the cpu is Intel 6th Gen so it would support booting from NVME Pcie. Do you think the Crucial nvme is better than the Adata SU800 sata and worth the extra $5? https://www.amazon.ca/Crucial-1TB-NAND- ... 148&sr=8-3
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5692 posts
3831 upvotes
Toronto
launch wrote: Thanks. That's good to know about them being DRAMless. There is also a 1 TB nvme from Crucial for and extra $5 over this Adata SU800. I don't have an m.2 slot on my motherboard but I do have an adapter and the cpu is Intel 6th Gen so it would support booting from NVME Pcie. Do you think the Crucial nvme is better than the Adata SU800 sata and worth the extra $5? https://www.amazon.ca/Crucial-1TB-NAND- ... 148&sr=8-3
The SU800 is fine IMO. If you do want to move up to NVMe, you might notice things are a shade quicker but it's not a huge improvement, certainly not like going from HDD to SSD. If you are gonna go NVMe, the Kingston A2000 is better than the Crucial P1 and only a few bucks more. They use the same controller but the Kingston is TLC and the Crucial is QLC.

PS I don't know how great of an experience trying to boot from a PCIe adapter is, I've heard bad things but that could be adapter dependent. Also make sure the adapter supports NVMe m.2 and not SATA m.2 otherwise it won't even work.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
7068 posts
2690 upvotes
Canada
djemzine wrote: How is Adata's reliability? Is this TLC?
My info is from 2014-2018. They were BAAAD, like really bad with a lot of RMAs for their SSDs and flash memory types. It was another noname brand with bad quality. Not sure if anything changed.
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13282 posts
4616 upvotes
LOL so much hate for adata from these "resident experts"

i've probably purchased 24+ adata SSD drives ranging from su650 to su800 and not one had failed so far

some people need stop drinking the samsung koolaid
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Sep 17, 2019
108 posts
96 upvotes
i ordered this deal before the thread was made. now y'all are making me nervous
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2017
1636 posts
2211 upvotes
TBH I would avoid SATA best to go with NVMe
I don't want to set the world on fire, I just want to start a flame in your heart
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
1411 posts
385 upvotes
Jep4444 wrote:
PS I don't know how great of an experience trying to boot from a PCIe adapter is, I've heard bad things but that could be adapter dependent. Also make sure the adapter supports NVMe m.2 and not SATA m.2 otherwise it won't even work.
If you motherboard does not have an M.2 slot, but the BIOS supports NVMe, adapters should work fine. I have 1 system that boots form this and works well, 2 others that is configured as an ESXi datastore, it's been reliable for the last 8-9 months. Amazon cheap ones. Good experience here so far.
-
Dec 1, 2009
370 posts
388 upvotes
Ottawa
Spend $20 more and get a Crucial MX500. Much better than Adata.
Jan 4, 2008
632 posts
550 upvotes
Toronto
Attesting to quality. We have literally bought hundreds of 128 and 256 SU800 for upgrades to old non profit computers on HDDs to keep them going for basic office use. Out of them over the span of 3 years only 2 have failed. Granted none of these were 1TB. I would use this as a game or small mixed media drive anyday. As a primary boot, no, Samsung all the way.
Jun 5, 2012
360 posts
552 upvotes
NEPEAN
Curious, would this work as a good option for a raid backup? ...in a scenario where you have NVMe as main storage? Building my own system and just thinking about it, not even sure if its even worth.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2015
2408 posts
2706 upvotes
djemzine wrote: How is Adata's reliability? Is this TLC?
zero issues on my end. had them for 3 years nkw.
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
10522 posts
19592 upvotes
Montreal
Adata SU800 Ultimate review from Tom's Hardware with the following conclusion:

"If you plan to purchase a low cost or even a premium SSD, the Adata Ultimate SU800 is not a good choice."
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
3071 posts
2163 upvotes
And I thought my post would circumvent just this...little did I know. Battle of the swinging... Oh shit I can't finish that.
119 upvotes
Downtown
I've only ever had 1 nvme slot. Is the best way to expand with a pcie expansion board? Can't find any for nvme that are wider than 1x pcie slot.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)