Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

ADATA USA Ultimate Su800 1TB 3D Nand 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal Solid State Drive 139.99$

Apr 12, 2017
299 posts
199 upvotes
Temporel wrote: That's the Kool-aid, don't drink it.
Adata SU800 is known for poor reliability.
Over the years, I have seen many posts like #6 above in the RFD threads and on Reddit.
Taken individually, it's anecdotes but the sum of it convinced me to stick with Samsung Evo 860 or Crucial MX500.
I know the prices are abnormally high right now, but if you can wait, the markets should go back eventually to pre-pandemic prices.
For example, Samsung will have to clear the 860 soon to make place for the 870.
Thanks for the reassurance. I’ve been waiting for some time for the 860 to drop in price and I almost pulled the trigger for an overpriced one until I read your post
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5692 posts
3831 upvotes
Toronto
Temporel wrote: Adata SU800 Ultimate review from Tom's Hardware with the following conclusion:

"If you plan to purchase a low cost or even a premium SSD, the Adata Ultimate SU800 is not a good choice."
Every single complaint Tom's had about the SU800 was related to the first generation Micron 3D TLC NAND used in SU800, in 2016... Adata switch to Samsung NAND awhile back anyways so the conclusion to this reviews is 100% irrelevant.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5692 posts
3831 upvotes
Toronto
The WD Blue SATA is not a particularly great drive in any way. Unlike their more recent offerings, the old SATA Blue relies entirely on fairly average Marvell controller. The SU800 by comparison has a better controller actually.

As for the A58, it's DRAM-less and makes a lousy boot drive. It's fine for storage/game drive but that's about it.
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2013
1567 posts
8938 upvotes
MILTON
Temporel wrote: SP A58 is DRAMless
WD = $150
Adata = $140
$10 more
Might as well go for MX500 @ $160
you bet ya.

sky is the limit.
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13282 posts
4617 upvotes
for anyone that want legitimate user reviews, just google "su800 review reddit" and it'll show you all you need to know about this drive
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2007
1831 posts
1068 upvotes
Toronto
It says sale it must BE THE BEST!
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2011
2163 posts
238 upvotes
Ottawa
BiGD33nS wrote: Decent price considering COVID, and if you cannot go NVMe.
I have a Laptop that is a very slow, etc and I wanted to upgrade to an SSD. How can I tell if this would fit?
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
10522 posts
19592 upvotes
Montreal
masoud100 wrote: I have a Laptop that is a very slow, etc and I wanted to upgrade to an SSD. How can I tell if this would fit?
Most likely, any 2.5" SATA SSD will fit in your laptop
What's your laptop model number?
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2006
1176 posts
263 upvotes
Oshawa
I bought one of these at the end of May and had to send it back as it was defective. Wasn't able to get Windows 10 to install on it. As with anything it can be hit or miss. I've never had issue with USB 3.0 drives from them. I had to spend a bit more and just got a Samsung SSD (2013 system so it doesn't have NVMe). Although Canada Post lost my return and it was never scanned according to Amazon so it's been a lot of back and forth with them to get my $170 back.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
1411 posts
385 upvotes
masoud100 wrote: I have a Laptop that is a very slow, etc and I wanted to upgrade to an SSD. How can I tell if this would fit?
There is a VERY likely chance that it will fit, most of the SSDs today has 7mm width, which is pretty much compatible with all laptops that has a 2.5 HDD slot/tray.
-
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
14352 posts
3590 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
BiGD33nS wrote: There is a VERY likely chance that it will fit, most of the SSDs today has 7mm width, which is pretty much compatible with all laptops that has a 2.5 HDD slot/tray.
7mm height. 2.5" is the width.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29311 posts
14824 upvotes
aspec733 wrote: Not good, had two adata ssds fail in the last two builds. IIRC for warranty they only cover shipping back to you and it was in the states.
That's basically everyone.
Crucial is worse because not only did I have to pay shipping to them, they screwed up the paperwork and I had to pay taxes and clearance for the replacement.
I could apply for a refund, but that's more work on my end because of their screwup.
flamenko wrote: The first question has to be how do we compare that to a hard drive. SSDs last longer period and that include the newest QLC.
Does anyone actually publish long term failure rates for SSDs?
I don't know about anyone else, but even though I have 100+ hard drives, I have very few failures. I don't even budget cold spares any more since it's cheaper just to pick up a new replacement if something dies.
I can't remember the last time I had a failure and I work my drives hard (ZFS scrub once a week that takes days so it's basically read/write 24/7).
Anecdotally speaking, the last failure I had was a Crucial SSD. But my fleet of SSDs is still pretty small relatively speaking, especially compared to hard drives.
They are much safer, much more durable, faster, cooler, better for battery life and so on.

Yeah the only point I'm disputing is longevity.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Nov 30, 2013
353 posts
348 upvotes
NB
Here is my anecdote. Bought one, knew I was in trouble when I saw the HD software for the first time (looks like I programmed it and I am a truck driver) lasted a little more than a year. Bought a different brand @staples (with a code found here) no more issues. That being said it did work good until it didn't. BTW Newegg has the one I bought on sale now.
I AM NOT A BOOMER, but I wish i was.
Aug 23, 2019
593 posts
447 upvotes
death_hawk wrote:

Does anyone actually publish long term failure rates for SSDs?
I don't know about anyone else, but even though I have 100+ hard drives, I have very few failures. I don't even budget cold spares any more since it's cheaper just to pick up a new replacement if something dies.
I can't remember the last time I had a failure and I work my drives hard (ZFS scrub once a week that takes days so it's basically read/write 24/7).
Anecdotally speaking, the last failure I had was a Crucial SSD. But my fleet of SSDs is still pretty small relatively speaking, especially compared to hard drives.

Yeah the only point I'm disputing is longevity.

This was done a few years ago https://techreport.com/review/24841/int ... xperiment/ (updates at the bottom) pt2 https://techreport.com/review/27909/the ... -all-dead/ i guess it's still a little relevant for the older SATA types. interesting that Samsung PRO line being the expensive brand didn't give any warning before failures but they're the most durable failing after 2+PB.

Speaking of HDDs do you have experience with older Seagates? Are HDDs generally better now for durability than before as in if i wanted to buy a 2-4TB drive would it be a bad idea to buy used/pulled enterprise or desktop tiers?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29311 posts
14824 upvotes
Zarkey wrote: This was done a few years ago https://techreport.com/review/24841/int ... xperiment/ (updates at the bottom) pt2 https://techreport.com/review/27909/the ... -all-dead/ i guess it's still a little relevant for the older SATA types. interesting that Samsung PRO line being the expensive brand didn't give any warning before failures but they're the most durable failing after 2+PB.
I remember that, but it's not quite what I'm looking for.
I'm looking more for failure rates kinda like Backblaze. Not how to kill a single SSD over time, but what the failure rates of various SSD brands are relative to others at scale.
Then again... it's hard enough finding this data about hard drives in a meaningful form so asking for something for SSDs is probably hopeless.

Speaking of HDDs do you have experience with older Seagates? Are HDDs generally better now for durability than before as in if i wanted to buy a 2-4TB drive would it be a bad idea to buy used/pulled enterprise or desktop tiers?
That's all the experience I have lol.

My 2 schools of thought:
1) An old drive (assuming it's been handled well and packed well for transit) is old for a reason. It'll probably stay running until it doesn't.
2) A new drive is gonna fail. If it doesn't, it turns into an old drive.

Cryptic? Yeah. Basically if you test the hell out of the new drive (as in put it under a "normal" load) and it lasts 3 months? It's probably good.
An old drive has lasted this long. As long as someone didn't drop it repeatedly or yell at it in the data center, it's also probably good.

I've bought both. Each has their own issues so there's no real hard recommendation, especially at that size.
4TB is kind of stupid to buy new since the price per TB is awful. But used drives are stupid to buy too because you have no idea how the previous guy treated them.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.