• Last Updated:
  • Oct 14th, 2020 4:46 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2008
1158 posts
200 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB nvme $269.99

warmish deal on 2TB nvme. Mind you it is PCIe gen3x4.

trades blows with wd sn750 (better reads / worse writes).
22 replies
Oct 20, 2013
51 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
Damn, I just got this for 299 a few weeks ago. One of the best nvme drives for the price!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2008
1158 posts
200 upvotes
doobie83 wrote: Damn, I just got this for 299 a few weeks ago. One of the best nvme drives for the price!
Hey I picked up 2 of them for 2 new builds at $299 from amazon. Too bad amazon.ca doesn't do price match/adjustment ;-(. I don't feel like sending it back.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2005
1586 posts
694 upvotes
I've been using this exact drive for six months or so, and I'm sure I paid more than this. It's been a great drive. The only con to these drives is that the writes get really slow if the drive is getting close to capacity.
Nov 10, 2019
143 posts
64 upvotes
CANADA
amd111 wrote: Hey I picked up 2 of them for 2 new builds at $299 from amazon. Too bad amazon.ca doesn't do price match/adjustment ;-(. I don't feel like sending it back.
Order new ones with this price, return new ones as the 'old' ones, done.
the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear ...
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
4982 posts
2944 upvotes
Toronto
redflagdealsguy wrote: There's a reason why I went with the XPG SX8200 Pro, albeit the 1TB model.
I'm confused, a more or less average TBW is a reason why you bought the SX8200 Pro?
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
16973 posts
18874 upvotes
Jep4444 wrote: I'm confused, a more or less average TBW is a reason why you bought the SX8200 Pro?
It was a constellation of reasons. In the era this NVMe drive was released, you were finding comparable drives with up to 1700 TBW but with weaker performance.

The XPG SX8200 Pro is the total package: reliable, robust performance, and generous cache before depletion-levels of performance. While the XPG GAMMIX S11 Pro is largely comparable, in benches, the SX8200 Pro squeezes out a slight advantage. In a pinch I would take either.

I've deployed multiple SX8200 Pro units at 1TB and 2TB sizes with no issue.

I've been told two things:
(1) Try not to transfer more than (30Gb to) 100GB of data successively as it will deplete cache and run down performance before cache is restore.
(2) Try not to fill the drive as it will lead to a severe impairment in performance.

My thoughts:
(1): While true, is a tail scenario we rarely run into, and is more akin of server use-case than a consumer, main street business, or pro-sumer use-case.
(2): When they mean fill, they mean fill, an impossible scenario given our IT policy and my own PC habits. Our policy says 70% full then upgrade, in my personal affairs, I operate with a similar rule. Above 90%, performance impairment becomes noticeable.

Value for money NVMe SSD when it's on sale.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
4982 posts
2944 upvotes
Toronto
redflagdealsguy wrote: It was a constellation of reasons. In the era this NVMe drive was released, you were finding comparable drives with up to 1700 TBW but with weaker performance.

The XPG SX8200 Pro is the total package: reliable, robust performance, and generous cache before depletion-levels of performance. While the XPG GAMMIX S11 Pro is largely comparable, in benches, the SX8200 Pro squeezes out a slight advantage. In a pinch I would take either.

I've deployed multiple SX8200 Pro units at 1TB and 2TB sizes with no issue.

I've been told two things:
(1) Try not to transfer more than (30Gb to) 100GB of data successively as it will deplete cache and run down performance before cache is restore.
(2) Try not to fill the drive as it will lead to a severe impairment in performance.

My thoughts:
(1): While true, is a tail scenario we rarely run into, and is more akin of server use-case than a consumer, main street business, or pro-sumer use-case.
(2): When they mean fill, they mean fill, an impossible scenario given our IT policy and my own PC habits. Our policy says 70% full then upgrade, in my personal affairs, I operate with a similar rule. Above 90%, performance impairment becomes noticeable.

Value for money NVMe SSD when it's on sale.
To be clear, I was just mocking the train of logic that TBW on the SS8200 Pro is a plus.

As for the SX8200 Pro vs S11 Pro, they're the same drive, straight up. Any variance you see in benches is going to be caused my external factors and/or standard product variance. Either that or the heatsink is inhibiting performance of the NAND.

As for value, in 2TB sure. It's been awhile since the 1TB has been cheaper than comparable performing products, and most users wouldn't be able to tell the difference vs cheaper ones anyways.

Anyways, those cache numbers don't seem based on anything. The cache is significantly larger than 100GB at empty and by 50% full, would likely be smaller than 100GB (I don't have the exact numbers, if it isn't, it'd be close).
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
16973 posts
18874 upvotes
Jep4444 wrote: To be clear, I was just mocking the train of logic that TBW on the SS8200 Pro is a plus.

As for the SX8200 Pro vs S11 Pro, they're the same drive, straight up. Any variance you see in benches is going to be caused my external factors and/or standard product variance. Either that or the heatsink is inhibiting performance of the NAND.

As for value, in 2TB sure. It's been awhile since the 1TB has been cheaper than comparable performing products, and most users wouldn't be able to tell the difference vs cheaper ones anyways.

Anyways, those cache numbers don't seem based on anything. The cache is significantly larger than 100GB at empty and by 50% full, would likely be smaller than 100GB (I don't have the exact numbers, if it isn't, it'd be close).
I've had unusual performance issues with supposed performance-rated NVMe drivers. I'm going to avoid pointing fingers to bog down this discussion too much.

I stand by the following drives from personal experience:
ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB / 2TB
ADATA XPG GAMMIX Pro S11 1TB
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB

I'm also confident in the following drives with less personal experience:
WD SN750 'GAMING' NVMe 1TB
... Probably a few more

Everything else I've tried has produced unusual performance hiccups attributable to the drive, especially when the motherboard is likely ruled out.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)